Importance Of The HRE

Slobadog

King
Since the newly included HRE represents Germany, France, and Rome. And since the Byzantines are really just romans too then does maybe Civ not even need France, Germany, Rome and Byzantium as civilizations. They already lumped together the Iroquois and Sioux into one civ. Is it inevitable that the same will happen to much of Europe?

Ah yes we at Firaxis have solved this problem for the next civilization. We decided there were just too many Civs and there is no way we could make everybody happy, so we lumped them into categories. White guys, Brown guys, Hispanic guys, Asian guys. This should solve all the problems about different countries and what not.

Charlemagne was actually more of a french leader than German or Roman. He just conquered central europe and merged it into a nation.

Sorry for the topic. Its just that i recently got a massive feeling of nostalgia for those pre BTS release days. :D:mischief:

that doenst't make sence. Even the English aren't english they are anglo, saksons and a little viking. So it is with the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine(East-Roman Empire). Tyey where at a time empires so they have an right to be in the game.

Charlemagne was actually more of a french leader than German or Roman. He just conquered central europe and merged it into a nation.

He wasn't French, he was German. He spoke a Germanic Language, the french don't. The hart of his empire was largely in modern Belgium, Netherlands & Germany. and yes a small part in modern France.

I don't understand why people think that Frankish is the same as French

Attachments

• frankishempire.jpg
    frankishempire.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 217
Actually, the Holy Roman Empire never included Rome.

The Holy Roman Empire isn't French at all, although it and France share a common origin (they are what the remnants of the Carolingian Empire would split into). I'd simply call it Germany and be done with it although the addendum '...of the German Nation' would only appear officialy centuries later.
This makes it quite odd to have the HRE and Germany in the same game.

Things aren't that easy though... Charlemagne ruled the Carolingian Empire, before the later HRE and France were separate entities. The Carolingian Empire, however, already evoked the name of Rome... :wallbash:

I was always under the impression "Germany" i.e. the German Empire in Civ4 was a represent the northern chain of german empires, i.e. Prussia, and Modern Germany.
the HRE represented the southern german peoples, (Austria, Charlemagne's empire, Lombards, Burgundians, etc... leading up to the Austro-Hungarian Empire.

Just because the "peoples" were both from the german family of languages, doesn't necessarily mean their cultures are the same, (likewise with the Byzantines/Ancient Romans) I understand the Byzantines never called themselves that, and the name "Byzantine" was a label historians placed on the empire from the Split to the fall of Constantinople. The culture was different from Ancient Rome, this can be seen from the Architecture, Laws, Religion, Language (they spoke Greek), etc...

Even the English aren't english they are anglo, saksons and a little viking. So it is with the Holy Roman Empire and the Byzantine(East-Roman Empire). Tyey where at a time empires so they have an right to be in the game.
Totally agree.
English are french as well, so they are celts+germans+scandinavians+french(who are, in turn, celts+romans+germans)

I did find it interesting to see HRE and Germany in the same game. Maybe with the next expansion, they can add Prussia and the Austrian Empire as well. :)

After the Napoleonic Wars, the former emperors of the Holy Roman Empire retained control of Austria and Hungary, while most of the rest would form the German Confederation which would eventually fall under Prussian control and become the German Empire.

Since the in-game interpretation of the HRE encompasses the earlier Frankish Empire, it would be something like...

HRE under Charlemagne
France splits off in 843
Germany splits off at some time in the 19th century (1806, 1815, 1871... take your pick)
Rest of the HRE remains as Austria

Well. I think it's time we added the European Community (as the USE?) into the game.

More like sometime well after 843 AD and way before the 16th centuries:

Every state making up the HRE becomes a mini-state with it's own army, taxes, laws, etc. The shell of the HRE is kept.
In many cases, sub entities become mini-states in turn. Recrusively.

At some point also in the middle ages a group of warriors moves into Prussia, wiped out the original inhabitents but hereafter calls themselves the Prussians. Over the next several centuries thru diplomacy and war they would come to rival Austria. Under Bismark, all of the German states except Austria are unified into Germany.
It is also said of Prussia during large portions of this time that while some states posses an army, the Prussian army posses a state.

Ah yes we at Firaxis have solved this problem for the next civilization. We decided there were just too many Civs and there is no way we could make everybody happy, so we lumped them into categories. White guys, Brown guys, Hispanic guys, Asian guys. This should solve all the problems about different countries and what not.
Actually... It should be white guys, brown guys, black guys, yellow guys, and red guys. Now it's properly balanced. :D

*Is promptly shot*

Well. I think it's time we added the European Community (as the USE?) into the game.

"USE", sounds like what a heroin junkie empire would be called... :lol:

Top Bottom