Most useless wonders in game

I still think Barringer Crater is also bad. You have to consider that a citizen eats 2 food per turn.
Is it worth losing 2 food just to gain 2 gold and 3 science?

You switch citizens from tiles to Scientist slots on that basis all the time.

You switch citizens from tiles to Scientist slots on that basis all the time.

Yes but you work scientist slots to get GSS points. Thus a scientist slot is generally far more valuable. Either way in the early game you generally can't spare the food to work this tile. That was all I was trying to get at.

Yes but you work scientist slots to get GSS points. Thus a scientist slot is generally far more valuable. Either way in the early game you generally can't spare the food to work this tile. That was all I was trying to get at.

And coupled with secularism a scientist slot is worth 5 science.

Parthenon is a difficult wonder to get on deity, on lower difficulty I would definitely get it for the culture. There are also better ones to get in that era such as Hanging Garden if possible. Also I find that I'm usually busy with NC or basic infrastructure to be getting too many wonders during that era to bother with Parthenon.

If the Ai opens tradition you are screwed so yeah impossible to get only if Ai doesnt go tradition

I'd argue for a couple of horrendous wonders:
Angkor Wat - There are a couple of reasons for why its a bad wonder. firstly it comes at a time where you should have the best tiles of all of your cities, making its main effects of lowering new tiles cost near irrelevant. It takes a whopping 400 production, which at a time where your best cities might pump out 30-35 hammers per turn is way to expensive for +1 culture and 1 GE point (you should not be far off workshops either, which give a GES slot instead). The AI also loves this wonder, so unless you're ahead in tech or have insane production/GE it might simply fail to build it. But the worst feature of the wonder is that it comes at the same tech as universities, which should be built as fast as you can to stay relevant in the science game (atleast om Immortal and Deity).

CN Tower - It just so irrelevant. 1 pop means nothing in the late game, and the +1 happiness per city is instantly lost do to the pop gain. A freebroadcast tower in each city is also worth little, as great musicians are much better at culture-bombing rather than takes Great work slots. The only time i can see this wonder useful is if you're goin for a culture victory eith freedom, as media culture is a rather strong tenet. But then again, if you're going for media culture why have you not built a broadcast tower already?

Cristo Redentor - AI loves it, the social policy reduction cost is so minor this late in the game, and +5 culture i also nothing at this point. Also comes at the same tech as research labs, which yet again is top priority for science.

Pentagon - Just like Cristo, the bonus is so minor at this point, as you'll only upgrade units a max of twice at the point its attainable, usually the game will end before you can do this.
Its still expensive and the GM points are useless at this stage.

Uffizi - just a very weak GA wonder. The lourve gives the same bonuses a bit lates but with an extra Slot for great works, and comes as the bonus for exploration, which is a much better social policy tree to go into. The sistine Chaptel might not have the free artist, but the +25% culture is amazing for any empire, not to mention how it does not requice any social policy trees adn is cheaper. Uffizi is also built like crazy by the AI since it loves to go down Aesthetics.

Red Fort - it looks nice, Ill give it that, but the 25% bonus to defensive buildings is very low at this point, unless you're playing babylon possibly. Its also pretty expensive and the GS point is jsut not that strong anymore.

Statue of Zeus - AI loves it, its expensive for early game and the bonus helps only a few millitant early game civs like the Huns or Zulu. The heroic epic is a pure upgrade that comes at a time where infastructure is so extremely important as the statue. Also requires Honor which is horrible as a starting policy tree unless you're someone who reasonably can and should pump out early game units like Germany or Aztec.

Taj Mahal - although the Happiness is nice and a golden age is not disliked, its just too expensive and the happiness can quicker be gained by making two zoos instead.

I don't agree with Taj Mahal. It is good wonder if you can time it for WF. Either extending it or starting it for the culture boost. Also the happiness from wonders are always counted as global happiness so it's not just 2 zoos since those are local happiness. A wide empire is always short on happiness and getting golden ages are difficult.

I don't agree with Taj Mahal. It is good wonder if you can time it for WF. Either extending it or starting it for the culture boost. Also the happiness from wonders are always counted as global happiness so it's not just 2 zoos since those are local happiness. A wide empire is always short on happiness and getting golden ages are difficult.

In my opinion, it comes at a time where its benefits are not especially useful. Especially since the porcelain tower and hermatige come at the same tech adn are much much much more important

In my opinion, it comes at a time where its benefits are not especially useful. Especially since the porcelain tower and hermatige come at the same tech adn are much much much more important

Hermitage is hard to get in many games. You have to have one good building and two crap buildings that cost a lot of hammers in order to even start building it.

Also you can either build porcelain tower safely very late for the extra GS, or unable to build because another AI got to rationalism and completely out tech you anyway. The latter happens on deity sometimes and in that case you can't build any of these anyway. And basically non culture games ignore hermitage mostly due to difficulty of building it, except for some civs such as celt where they do get happiness from opera houses.

Also you can either build porcelain tower safely very late for the extra GS, or unable to build because another AI got to rationalism and completely out tech you anyway. The latter happens on deity sometimes and in that case you can't build any of these anyway. And basically non culture games ignore hermitage mostly due to difficulty of building it, except for some civs such as celt where they do get happiness from opera houses.

In my time on deity and some degree Immortal the Hermitage has been crutial to avoid getting bombed by unhappiness thanks to turism pressure when you're not playing a cultural game yourself, not to mention the increase in policies lets you often get the important rationalism techs before ideologies/ faster gaining ideology tenets.

Usually You'd be close to/on level with the Diety AI By the time of Architecture unless you're having a difficult science game, and should be competitive for porcelain tower.
Also that 50% bonus to research agreements can be pretty massive in helping you beline techs like radio and artillery, I've often rushed Printing press jsut to get a GE from the leaning tower into building porcelain because rome always goes into rationalism. (Keep in mind this is immortal, as i rarely play deity because of its restrictions)

Taj Mahal is a really good wonder, stacking golden ages is really good and it comes near a time you may be producing a natural golden age, so then you can do Taj and pop a few artists and then you're golden-- no pun intended-- to the end of the game.

Top Bottom