What kind of manual comes with Civ Rev?

No, unfortunately. Like most games for consoles, it comes with a pretty flimsy manual. Nothing like the thick book that came with Civ3...

A pretty limited manual. It says 'for more info, please refer to the civilopedia' at every topic.

You can download and print out a Tech Tree from the official website, though. They've got that, and then a reference sheet for units, buildings, wonders, and tile production.

The manual that comes with the DVD is completely inadequate as an Tutorial, the game itself does have a tutorial, but it's somewhat buried and is completely inadequate for the higher level games, it's fine for the basics of controller and game basics but beyond that it's of no use. The tutorial doesn't tutor you in game strategy to be able to have some basic success in the higher levels. I really bemoan the lack of adequate strategy documentation with this game.

The manual that comes with the DVD is completely inadequate as an Tutorial, the game itself does have a tutorial, but it's somewhat buried and is completely inadequate for the higher level games, it's fine for the basics of controller and game basics but beyond that it's of no use. The tutorial doesn't tutor you in game strategy to be able to have some basic success in the higher levels. I really bemoan the lack of adequate strategy documentation with this game.

Is there any game that, in the tutorial, tells you how to beat the higher levels? I thought the meaning was to give the player a feel of what the game is about, and then let him by himself test different ways to be successfull.

Is there any game that, in the tutorial, tells you how to beat the higher levels? I thought the meaning was to give the player a feel of what the game is about, and then let him by himself test different ways to be successfull.
I don't know as this is the first console game I've played since playing "Dune" on a pc in 1993.

I'm now trying to play at King level, I haven't had ANY success at all, I managed fine at the lower levels, There is no continuity between the low and high levels with regard to strategy, what works at the lower levels doesn't apply to the higher levels, I won at lower levels not because of my superior strategy but because I employed sheer brute force, Techniques developed for lower levels are not applicable to higher levels.

It would've been nice if at the tutorial level it guided you along making suggestions as to why placing a city here is better than over there, I still don't know whether I have the correct strategy during the initial stages of the game, all that I know is that at King level whatever I try is wrong, obviously because my basic strategy is wrong and believe me I have started at King level countless times trying different iterations..this isn't fun it's becoming tiresome and frustrating, all because I lack a few decent pointers on what to do to stay alive in the beginning to try and fumble my way through and have some fun.

what you need is a mentor, not a better tutorial.

No, I think a better tutorial is a good idea. When I first picked up Civ I was clueless as to what I should do. The tutorial simply stated things that didn't make sense and it seemed like I wasn't part of the 'in' crowd. After reading these forums for the greater part of a year, I finally got it and I'm able to play Civ 4 on Deity and actually compete with the AI.

There is a lot that is assumed with the tuts in the Civ games. They assume you already know what food, beakers, coin, and hammers are for and they assume you know how to maximize them or what to tech for.

My biggest issue when starting was city placement, and it's something that the tut should go over. It's not like you can finish a game in 30 minutes and learn from mistakes like that, the mistakes you make early on show up hours later. What a person might consider a decent number of hammers may not even be close to what they should be getting. Even then, they might not even realize that the reason the enemy has larger numbers is because of their city, they could chock it up to the AI cheating like they do in most games.

I know I did and I know that the only thing the tut in the Civ games have done is make me familiar with a small portion of the basics, like how to move units and how to manage myself around some of the menus.

One word; poor.

Top Bottom