BNW worth it?

Slag

Chieftain
I had taken a hiatus from playing CiV for over a year and recently got back into it. I was finally getting used to GnK when I had stopped. Now I have the option of getting BNW. Since most of the threads deal with BNW, I've been able to read about its features.

It's a stupid question, but is it worth it? Do the changes they've made (World Congress, Ideologies, Tourism, less aggressive AI, etc.) truly enhance the gameplay experience or is it just more stuff to micromanage with a few more civs? Your honest opinions are appreciated.

In my honest opinion, it's not worth the 30 bucks. It's a great expansion, I love the new gameplay mechanics, but the only reason I own it is the fact that it was 15 bucks during Christmas. You could probably buy a whole other game with $30 that you would play much more of. If you see BNW on sale though, get it.

I'd say it enhances the gameplay more then enough, yes. But, if you enjoy early game warfare, avoid it. The AI's are made far more diplomatical and early gold is harder to come by, so you'll have to keep that in mind. Diplomacy is far better though, and with the trade routes, world congress and various other tweaks, the game feels much more in balance.

I'd get it, no question. I enjoy all the new stuff, but I wasn't big on Domination vic though. Can't say anything about that.

I got vanilla for free from a friend I played Eve with and recently upgraded to complete pack for 50 bucks since it was cheaper then simply buying GNK and BNW and came with all the dlc civs maps and everything. I can't honestly give an opinion on the difference from GNK to BNW but I am loving BNW from Vanilla, and from what I hear of the more diplomatic and less war mongering AI it is very much up my alley as I prefer to avoid war as much as possible and simply build up my infrastructure and defend against invasions.

Well the Steam Summer Sale should be coming soon. You probably can pick up the entire game with expansions and maps etc. for 20 dollars or so. I know I did from the Summer Sale and Winter sale combined.

So for 20 dollars the entire game plus DLC's...it's worth it for sure.

Brew God

BNW is well worth it. It completely changes the game.

Please don't be one of those people who joins BNW games without BNW. For the love of God we don't need anymore of those.

Totally worth it for peaceful players. Early warmongers and fans of going really wide may find it less appealing though.

YES!

It's definitely worth it for the new Cultural system involving Great Works.

Great Works really are like a game within the game. Very very fun!

All of your responses are appreciated. I have never really been an early warmonger, so we shall see. Perhaps I can try for more cultural victories. The spaceship does get rather boring.

The new Cultural victory is kinda hard to pull off, especially on higher levels. But it's also a lot more fun to do then the old "Turtle up, spam policies, win" variety.

Yes it's worth it. It's true the AI most of the time is peaceful up until it can take your perceived "weakness" no longer. You can change that by forward settling, buying land, or even start the thing yourself......

I went straight from Vanilla to BNW and I thought it made a huge change, not entirely sure how much of that was GnK related. But it's definately worth it IMO, unless you're holding out for other games like Endless Legend or (God don't ruin this for us) Wasteland 2.

The new Cultural victory is kinda hard to pull off, especially on higher levels. But it's also a lot more fun to do then the old "Turtle up, spam policies, win" variety.

Couldn't agree more on this. I think - unless you absolutely adore warmongering and don't want it to get any more difficult - BNW is worth it for the new Cultural Victory alone. So much more fun and complex than the old one, and IMO it's easily the most involving victory of all now.

I'm an early warmonger and a fan of BNW. But do get it on sale, though. Steam should start giving it away before too long.

Picked up BNW last week from amazon.com for $20. It was a digital code that I then had to use on Steam for the actual game. You could also buy the physical copy of the game for $15, which is just a CD case with a digital code inside for Steam, but then you'd have to pay Amazon for shipping.

I usually go for militaristic stuff in Civ V but with BNW I started a new game as Morocco and with trade routes, tourism, etc I've been trying out being peaceful. I just maintain a few frontier forts and mounted units to patrol against barbarians. It's interesting trying out a new style of play and BNW has made that much more interesting, for me. The more in depth interaction that is possible with the new features, between civs and city states, is great especially for econ/cultural/diplomatic civs but can also help for militaristic ones.

Just my input, if it matters at all ;)

EDIT: As others have said, while I'm sure it could be worth it at full price, assuming you got your money's worth by playing for awhile, having patience for steam sales can never hurt!

BNW is a must-have in my opinion. It reworks the culture victory so that its actually enjoyable, trade routes add a bit more to diplomacy, and the ideology's are really just a bunch of social polices smashed into one mess, but its still very enjoyable nonetheless. It adds a bunch of new civs that are some of my favorite added, and my only real complaint is the world congress. My only issue with the congress is how easily it is to get screwed over by AI, even when you've stayed neutral and done nothing to them. However that's a minor thing and doesn't happen if you're careful.

Some people are saying it costs to much, but that's probably because they're getting it off steam. If you pick the boxed version up from amazon.com, then the cheapest I've seen it get before is 9.00 US dollars, but it regularly floats around 15 dollars.

Overall, adds a lot of great content to the game, not quite as game changing as G&K's was, but more then enough to make it worth your while.

Top Bottom