General Annoyances List

Haha -45 from public opinion. This is just way out of whack, seriously.

They should at least show you where this unhappiness is coming from.

They do. You can hover over the happiness icon and it shows you the breakdown.

In addition, the tourism screen shows you exactly what is modifying your tourism.

All of the information is there, it's not the game's fault you're not using it.

It went from 24 from public opinion to 45 in one single turn where nothing happened.
I mean, that's PRETTY WEIRD.

I have no idea how. No new ideology, too early for internet, no new wonders, no new trade, no new deals.
Just randomly lose 20 happiness. Who knows.

I just find it the most annoying part about trying for fast science on deity. But even just in general I don't think it's a very good mechanic.

But it ruins it, like how if everyone was liberty, you would have to switch from tradition, "because your citizens don't like it".

That's not a very fun game mechanic, nor is it very balanced on deity ( but then again what is lol ).

Again this is an annoyance list, not something where I think it completely busts the game, but on Deity I find it a little much.

It went from 24 from public opinion to 45 in one single turn where nothing happened.
I mean, that's PRETTY WEIRD.

I have no idea how. No new ideology, too early for internet, no new wonders, no new trade, no new deals.
Just randomly lose 20 happiness. Who knows.

I just find it the most annoying part about trying for fast science on deity. But even just in general I don't think it's a very good mechanic.

Because someone changed influence levels over you, from Exotic to Familiar or something, or you lost influence over someone else to cancel out their pressure, exotic to unknown or such.

If you're working on fast science on deity, you should be understanding these mechanics. They're really not that big of a mystery.

I get it, but -20 shift in one turn makes no sense, neither does a -45 unhappiness from pressure mechanic.
It's not scaled or balanced with anything else in the game. -45 that's the same as 11 luxuries. Nothing in the game is really meant to counter this and it locks you into a very narrow path of building zoos / coliseums / pagodas / peace gardens.

Basically I don't like it because it limits the number of possible strategies A LOT.

There are six religions in the world. I got the 2nd one. Continents map. Of the other 5, 4 are on my continent. :cry:

I get it, but -20 shift in one turn makes no sense, neither does a -45 unhappiness from pressure mechanic.
It's not scaled or balanced with anything else in the game. -45 that's the same as 11 luxuries. Nothing in the game is really meant to counter this and it locks you into a very narrow path of building zoos / coliseums / pagodas / peace gardens.

Basically I don't like it because it limits the number of possible strategies A LOT.

What are you talking about?

You're not supposed to counter it with luxuries, you're supposed to counter it with ideological happiness, of which there is a TON in every single tree.

Furthermore, you can counter it beforehand by not ignoring culture and tourism. On top of that, if you know you're going to have ideological pressure from a tourism heavy civ, just do yourself a favor and adopt his ideology and you won't have that pressure anymore. If you're the first to ideology and still getting pressured, then you can either go Order like most civs in the world will, or you can win the game with Freedom before it matters.

I really don't see how 1) and 2) are valid points at all. Would you also like an alert to tell you when to rush-buy your Science Buildings? When to bribe an opponent into war?

The game also won't tell you "you have 10.000 gold to spend", because spending gold, for example on CS, is your job. Watching when a CS ally is going to fade is your job. Knowing when an AI is about to declare war on you and doing lump-sum trading or bribing a CS the turn before is your job. Those are the intricacies of Civ, they are what make the game interesting.

As for 3) you are completely right. They settle cities even in the info-era and it cripples them immensely. It hurts their science, their culture, their happiness (irrelevant on higher difficulties) and the production could be used on something much more important.
And it seems to me, when you go up to immortal, they do it EVEN more.
They colonize and spam every square inch of the map....WHY!

If you're going for science, you should be first to ideology and should win before pressure becomes a problem. Otherwise you need to rethink about how to get better science. Also world's fair GW bulbs helps a ton for defending against tourism.

or you can win the game with Freedom before it matters.

Well maybe if you get hall of game times.
Around turn 220-230 I usually sit at 40+ from pressure when I go for freedom.

This game here, turn 230, -44. I have every luxury possible in this game, ( giving me +44) the one mercantile city-state, colliseum + zoo in every city, circus maximum, taj mahal, 3 circus, 4 pagodas, 3 stadiums ( lol stadiums).
Finished freedom, all slots worked, 5 banks, 5 stock exchange, 3 water mills, 5 hospitals.
Still at 1 global happiness.

So without the -44, I'd be at +43, which is.. what.. 3x stadium, 6x zoo, 6x colliseum, circus maximus, 3xcircus and mercantile city-state...?

Lol. So this one thing in the game is equal in unhappiness to 20 buildings /40+ gold per turn. What?

IT'S A LITTLE OUT OF HAND COME ON.

If you're going for science, you should be first to ideology and should win before pressure becomes a problem. Otherwise you need to rethink about how to get better science. Also world's fair GW bulbs helps a ton for defending against tourism.

Well I'm not the best so right now I can only manage around turn 250, but the AI usually adopts around turn 200.

I kind of doubt most science games can be won before pressure becomes a thing. I usually see -10 at turn 200, then -30+ at turn 220-230.

But anyway that's all really getting to a really niche game plan for like a small portion of a small portion of players haha.

Just the fact that it can get to -44+ I find completely ridiculous. I don't really see the need for it.

My general annoyance is how AI's don't get a malinus for declaring war on a DoF while the player does with all AI's even when they've not discover them.

AI should also get backstab hate, you can always force it to happen if you bribe AI to war with DoF.

1. Rude greetings when you first meet some civs (e.g. Catherine and her 'lesser nations' remark).
2. City governors: irw I would have most of them shot for their poor tile choices etc.
3. Hearing "Mr Gorbachev..." when you enter modern era - drastically wrong time, always makes my teeth grind! On a related note, I'm getting sick of picking up starving dogs...
4. Workers taking a breather after chopping down a forest or taking an extra go to produce a road segment - too much like reality!
5. GGs spawning as far from the battlefield as possible.
6. CS gifted units always placed in as awkward a tile as possible (e.g. opposite side of a river from your roads)
7. Everyone's favourite: CS unit blocking workers and other non-military units whenever possible - even if they're supposedly allies.
8. Luxes for WLTK - in a recent game my cities all wanted crab, even though no-one had ever seen a crab until I finally found somewhere when I unlocked satellites - next to a one-tile ice island! I mean, how do they know they want it if no-one in the world has ever had it?!
9. AI that won't accede to a demand even when it's obvious you can easily exterminate them and they have plenty; and their city with it is next to your army.
10. ...and finally: you declare war, the AI war music starts, you do some stuff, you hit 'next turn' ...and somebody will always want to talk to you (and thereby cut off the war music) - it's enough to make you declare war!

My gripes for the day - what are your top 10?

Here's another one:

Two AI civs are at war; you denounce one of them; next turn you DOW them - suddenly they not only make peace but become best buddies! Just ridiculous...

I suppose the conversation went:
'Hey Monty, even though you have taken nearly all my cities, I note that the human player has DOWd'd you - shall we be friends? It's not like I could use a human ally...'
'Sure - us AI civs must stick together. Down with humanity!':)

Well maybe if you get hall of game times.
Around turn 220-230 I usually sit at 40+ from pressure when I go for freedom.

This game here, turn 230, -44. I have every luxury possible in this game, ( giving me +44) the one mercantile city-state, colliseum + zoo in every city, circus maximum, taj mahal, 3 circus, 4 pagodas, 3 stadiums ( lol stadiums).
Finished freedom, all slots worked, 5 banks, 5 stock exchange, 3 water mills, 5 hospitals.
Still at 1 global happiness.

So without the -44, I'd be at +43, which is.. what.. 3x stadium, 6x zoo, 6x colliseum, circus maximus, 3xcircus and mercantile city-state...?

Lol. So this one thing in the game is equal in unhappiness to 20 buildings /40+ gold per turn. What?

IT'S A LITTLE OUT OF HAND COME ON.

It sounds to me like you're completely ignoring culture then, because there's absolutely no way you should be influenced that much by that stage in the game.

For reference, I don't even remember the last time I built a zoo, let alone a stadium. Let alone stadiums everywhere. The problem isn't with the mechanic, the problem is you're completely ignoring culture, or allowing open borders or whatever and letting yourself be influenced by other civs. Play order if you can't handle the ideological pressure, you'll have less issues from that, and finish a few turns slower.

But the reality is that you clearly don't understand why you're ending up in the situation you're in, and how to combat it. You don't combat it via luxes. Post screenshots of your empire, and the tourism screens for the civs that are influencing you and I can point out exactly how you got into this mess.

I'm not trying to avoid pressure, I'm trying to win as fast as possible using freedom to buy spaceship parts from friendly AIs with loans :D

I'm not trying to avoid pressure, I'm trying to win as fast as possible using freedom to buy spaceship parts from friendly AIs with loans :D

If you're not trying to avoid pressure, then don't complain about happiness from pressure.

I just think it's a bad mechanic.
You can avoid it entirely with one decision or it can force you to play the game in a very linear boring fashion.

Happiness should mostly only be to prevent fast limitless expansion, not to force you to pick a particular tree of late-game decisions.

Top Bottom