Civ5 Invades US High Schools

I'd say I know a lot of math, too, because of the importance of micro in V.

Fair enough, and I did try to limit myself to Civ related comments. I'm just a bit passionate about some of the good (IMHO) points that others brought up and am quite guilty of adding to this discussion going down that road.

The next time I discuss economics on this website, it will be regarding the tech Economics. Does that work?

I happen to agree that Civfanatics should stick to Civ topics. There does not appear to be a shortage of other websites available where economic/political topics may be discussed. My apologies to anyone here who found earlier comments offensive or disagreeable. We don't have to share the same views to love this freakin game.

We do try to keep the game-oriented forums focused on the games and gameplay. But we also have several forums that are intended for discussions of current events, politics, economics, history, science, technology, arts and sports. Check out the various subforums in the Colosseum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3

"Schools these days are dumb and bad, not like in The Past!" - literally every generation since schools were invented.

I do enjoy quotes about the deterioration of everything, from language to schools to morals, etc. For example, guess who said:

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise."

Spoiler :
Yep, Socrates. The more things change....

I'd like more libertarian propaganda right down my throat, please.

Debunking all that is wrong in this post would take way too long, especially in English as this is not my first language, so I'll keep it to rhethorical questions aimed at your first paragrap to put into perspective your "knowledge" about economy.

Did you know that income tax for companies is calculated based on profits, i.e. on the revenues, less operating expenditures, less financial expenditures, less exceptional expenditures, less capital expenditures? In other words, do you realize that this means that income taxe does not impact a company's ability to create value through its activity at all, and only impacts profits that will be paid as dividends? Do you realize that this means that income tax is not a barrier of entry? Do you actually even know how the P&L of a company works?

As for minimum wages, you probably have never heard of Fordism: if people can't afford the goods and services that you produce, your economy is trash.

To conclude on your introduction, yes, it would definitly be nice if all citizens actually had some background on economy, maybe they would not spout libertarian propaganda on the forum of a computer game. And for your information, libertarian is not economy, it's an ideology. You should take a look at how well ideologies fared in the past century, and you'll get an idea where the libertarian ideology is going.

I'd like more libertarian propaganda right down my throat, please.

Debunking all that is wrong in this post would take way too long, especially in English as this is not my first language, so I'll keep it to rhethorical questions aimed at your first paragrap to put into perspective your "knowledge" about economy.

Did you know that income tax for companies is calculated based on profits, i.e. on the revenues, less operating expenditures, less financial expenditures, less exceptional expenditures, less capital expenditures? In other words, do you realize that this means that income taxe does not impact a company's ability to create value through its activity at all, and only impacts profits that will be paid as dividends? Do you realize that this means that income tax is not a barrier of entry? Do you actually even know how the P&L of a company works?

As for minimum wages, you probably have never heard of Fordism: if people can't afford the goods and services that you produce, your economy is trash.

To conclude on your introduction, yes, it would definitly be nice if all citizens actually had some background on economy, maybe they would not spout libertarian propaganda on the forum of a computer game. And for your information, libertarian is not economy, it's an ideology. You should take a look at how well ideologies fared in the past century, and you'll get an idea where the libertarian ideology is going.

Hey now. Have some civility. Read the rest of the thread, we aren't supposed to keep on this subject.

Moderator Action: Yes, please take discussion of real-world economics and politics to a different forum (we have several - check out the Colosseum). The topic of this thread is the use of CiV in the classroom.

I would say that the game system is going to be used as a tool to get kids, young adults more interested in learning about history in general. I really would not read into it much more than that.

Dude I'd love to discuss this with you because I love the subject of economics but yeah unfortunately this is not the place as the mods have said. Please message me if you want to continue this discussion or open a new thread over in the off-topic and link me, but if you do try to be a bit more civil about it. I'm already aware of most of what you mentioned and some of it seems off-topic or condescendingly simplistic. I'm a pretty educated person so in the future try to keep your assumptions to a minimum, thanks. :/

I'm glad we agree students could benefit from a course on economics. It's a beautiful subject and really adds to an individual's ability to understand markets and businesses and healthy practice! I'm really grateful I took finance, personal management, and economics classes and I only wish for that information to be more standard in the curriculum since it is so useful. I'm totally in favor of people coming to their own conclusions about how this information should be applied, but let's at least get it to them! And I think civ is a fun way to do it. I'm a bit jealous of these kids getting to play it for "class" lol. I'm guessing the version they release will be a bit more educational or complex, because current civ is more useful for learning personal management and planning then economics.

Opened thread here for discussion in the appropriate section linked by Browd, I tried to copy the main conversation flow, I could not contain myself from Answering Alleria after all as I have thought deeply on much of what he discussed in the past and have strong opinions. :D

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14340515#post14340515

Anyone else want to talk economics just go there. ;)

I'd say I know a lot of math, too, because of the importance of micro in V.

Ironically, I learned most of my maths as a kid playing games. We played a lot of rpgs and board games like Battletech and you needed to know your maths or you lost.

I`ve always believed if schools were really smart they`d teach kids maths through complex good games, even violent fighting games where you must calculate distance and to-hit numbers. Nothing makes a boy`s mind focus than violent games, even fantasy ones.

And it`s a good reason why games today should always be teaching you something from the Stem fields on how things work while you`re making your Empire. Especially if you`re going to use it in schools.

I started to read about history because of a video game around 14 years ago. It was Medieval Total War. And now, I'm teaching history to kids. Video games don't and can't teach you history but definitely can push you into history.

Good job, whoever decided that.

Civ5 in classes might make some of the students that ignore history of all kinds start to pay some attention and learn. :lol:

I still remember my speech I had to give as a student back in high school, I was surprised by lack of basic knowledge of history back then from the questions students asked.

But then, what I consider basic is probably not basic at all. >.>

Well civ5 probably isn't going to be a whole class, it'll just be a fun exercise to do sometimes. It's totally fine and I do see it as beneficial. What can really bring history to life and give you a sense of it? Civ does that. They should play for example a WWII scenario. I learned a lot about the axis positions and such from civ2 WWII scenarios.

Or maybe they read about a specific leader before playing them in civ5, and then discuss if their in game attributes match their historical personality or what not.

And civ5 can teach a ton of critical thinking as all strategy games can to some degree. You wouldn't be against using chess in a math class would you? Chess is all about game theory and move permutations. Civ5 is critical thinking on a more loose and massive scale.

I have to say that my post indeed lacked civility, that is right. My bad.

"Alright class today we're going to be learning about Ghandi. Mahatma Gandhi was a famous civil rights activist and paci..*nukes explode* never mind.."

Top Bottom