'Play the map' is kind of a myth

Sherlock

Just one more turn...
I'm 129 turns into a pretty good game. I just overtook Washington in score and things are going well.

But what to do now? I always get to this point and find if you haven't shot for a scientific or cultural victory right out of the shoot you don't have much of a chance with them.

War is boring and predictable. I suppose I'll shoot for the easiest win- diplomatic.

I find I have to pick a civ to match a strategy and start with that strategy from the first turn.

This 'play the map' concept.... not so much. October 21 can't get here soon enough.

I respectfully disagree. Plenty of games I've rolled random civs and maps and picked my victory along the way. Sure, you have to pick a victory type fairly early if you want to win quickly, but hardly right off the bat, it doesn't always have to be exactly the same. I agree that on Deity peaceful games look more similar but that is because you have to emphasize science a bit to keep up. There is still quite a bit of room to play the terrain though. You can win science or culture with liberty 10 cities or tradition 4. And it's not the game's fault you find domination boring because loads of players think the new 1UPT and strategy in conquest are great. If you didn't you'd find honor or lib-honor strategies fun as well.

I always thought that “play the map” was more an early game concept?

But I usually have VC in mind on T0. I still feel like I play the map.

Play the map isn't so much a myth as it is a train of thought.
I can understand your current situation Sherlock, it is a common one. First on the scoreboard, now what? Which path to drone along to inevitably seal the deal?

But the play the map aspect is always present, just muted. Are the enemy cities along the coast? Does the map even have a coast? What about religion, is the starting location rich in deserts or tundra?

Maybe this will be more pronounced in Civ6 but I sincerely doubt it. I welcome districts but the fact we have regular tile improvements as well means farmlands (population) will still be just as important as it's always been, we will just have less tiles to dedicate specifically to the task.

After 900 hours I just played a game where I only decided to go for science fairly late - and GOT IT.

Unusual for me to win a game with science or culture where I haven't started out from turn 1 with that goal.

But this was a really sweet setup - had a great starting position and fair to good 2nd and 3rd city locations.

Top Bottom