CIV IV vs CIV III

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I decided to check out the Civ4 tech forums, and I found it was only 5 pages long-with 45 threads per page. This means there have only been 225 separate complaint threads started on Civ4-not the thousands Jones mentions. I also did a search of the entire Civ4 forum for talk of turn lag, and found only around 50 separate instances where it came up in the entirety of the post. So, hardly the significant issues Jones tells us it is. Of course, if he can provide REAL PROOF of his claims, then I might be prepared to consider what he has to say. Until that happens, though, I think I'll just switch to ignoring his posts.

Aussie.

Thus more cities means more for a greater sized epic.

So?

You see, the problem with most of your arguments is that they are based on the - wrong - assumption that much more cities (hundreds) is better/needed/whateveryoulike. Well, perhaps that is what you like, but this is not what will make you win a point.

One of the main cause for delays between turns is the AI script. A better AI often requires more script plus the more units, more civ and cities the more time it will take.
Still it's crazy to compare both games on a level in which the game was not design around (super huge map with tons of civ). Some of the best games I have with Civ3, Civ4 and Galciv2 was not with super huge maps with 30+ civ. To me the game play seems to start to break down after adding so many civs on these mega maps.

Last edited:
So?

You see, the problem with most of your arguments is that they are based on the - wrong - assumption that much more cities (hundreds) is better/needed/whateveryoulike. Well, perhaps that is what you like, but this is not what will make you win a point.

Dude more civs powered up with new 'imp' 'fixed city worth' means more fun all the way down the run. (if you get no deley like 99% of civ3 players today)

So Guy, cool down with the "you know the problem" rutine ;)
You never read half what I said by the sounds of it. I said it was my person pref 1st of all. Then I said its a lot of people's personal pref. Then I said civ3, its fixed to where more cites isn't just more work.

NOw we upload a digital vid cam sequence of AI interturn on the nice sized map shown. For me and civ3 It can't be a riddled with deley or Else I wouldn't play, or be here saying what I say.

WIth CIv4, will it 'turn out' on similiar size the same way.( aka smooth gameplay)?
Well you say its more fun to play small maps anyway! I say personal pref. : )

WHy are these complaints streaming in on lag issues with guys flossin the newest rigs? Yes here in civ4 land, its a constant stream.

Someone must want to try huge maps 20-30 civs. SOmeone mybe steached the map somehow to get civ3 sized, then turned it off lategame in disgust after all that time invested.
Im willing to bet that on mods, it complicated the tech/deley problem even more. While curing game elements and adding more substance, this flaw made late-game civ4 a regular deley-infested accurance.

This is fact despite what Auzzie says

Last edited:
WHy are these complaints streaming in on lag issues with guys flossin the newest rigs? Yes here in civ4 land, its a constant stream.

Where? I really do want to know where I can see these complaints. Please, show me.

Yeah, come on Jones, just give us a few links-heck give us just ONE link to these lags occurring in Civ4 land-heck, give us just ONE, even an older one. If you can't, then I think we can assume that this is yet another one of your little stories. I trawled all 5 pages of the Civ4 technical forums and found not ONE specific reference to lag. I only found 30 references to lag in the entirety of the Civ4 forum (one of which was from 2005, begging that Civ4 *not* be as laggy as Civ3!). So come on, Jones, either put your money where your mouth is-or crawl back under your Civ3 rock and never come back!

Aussie.

Come on Jones, we're WAITING! Everyone else has been prepared to show some kind of visual proof of the map sizes and city numbers they're capable of getting in game-with NO LAG. Yet all you can give is constant references to "these people" who're complaining about lag. So come on, give us PROOF, give us LINKS. Are these people real or are they just the voices you hear in your head whilst coping with the mind-numbing boredom of Civ3?

Aussie.

Dude more civs powered up with new 'imp' 'fixed city worth' means more fun all the way down the run. (if you get no deley like 99% of civ3 players today)

means more fun for you I believe. Not for everyone.

Perhaps it should be time you consider other people's tastes and what they want. Since you seem to understand that it is indeed your taste and also of "lots of people", why won't you accept that for loads of other people, this is *not* the prime factor of fun and interest? Then you could stop trolling and start debating while not holding onto a wrong assumption.

So Guy, cool down with the "you know the problem" rutine ;)
You never read half what I said by the sounds of it. I said it was my person pref 1st of all. Then I said its a lot of people's personal pref. Then I said civ3, its fixed to where more cites isn't just more work.

NOw we upload a digital vid cam sequence of AI interturn on the nice sized map shown. For me and civ3 It can't be a riddled with deley or Else I wouldn't play, or be here saying what I say.

WIth CIv4, will it 'turn out' on similiar size the same way.( aka smooth gameplay)?
Well you say its more fun to play small maps anyway! I say personal pref. : )

Someone must want to try huge maps 20-30 civs. SOmeone mybe steached the map somehow to get civ3 sized, then turned it off lategame in disgust after all that time invested.
Im willing to bet that on mods, it complicated the tech/deley problem even more. While curing game elements and adding more substance, this flaw made late-game civ4 a regular deley-infested accurance.

This is fact despite what Auzzie says

You've made realism arguments before, about how empires are supposed to feel "epic", but here you clearly state that more cities should not equal more work. I'm assuming a global empire is going to have a tough time managing.

But that is besides the point. As others have said, you say that there are "thousands" of complaints about lag, when we cannot seem to find them, so please, enlighten us.

I used to constantly play on larger maps, but now i mostly play on Standard and Large maps, because i like them better (early game rushes are far more effective).

But the thing that really annoys me is that you seem to believe we Civ4 lovers are a minority. Although i'm willing to grant CivIII has its fans, even those who play it daily still, many people moved on, and Civ4 attracts lots of newer fans, which you and me both know is vital to the continuation of the series.

And it's actually Aussie, not Auzzie.

AUssie Lurker said:
Doesn't bother me one bit. What bothered me in CivIII was having cities which were utterly unusable due to corruption (now there was a conquest killer), the total lack of any decent espionage system, and whack-a-mole pollution. Oh, and that is just for starters. If you want me to be *really* honest, I could think of a dozen other things which made CivIII suck. Lets face it, CivIII was really just Civ2b.

Aussie.
No offence man but I understand now when I wrote long reslys why people heckled me about it. . I admit my elbows have fallen (asleep) off about 2 pages ago. Its about 5 pages here but who's counting.

Its time lets say to go fulll circle, as really I knew nothing you said could change the realty. All that talk just puts me back at odds with your orginal responce. Hows AI better on travel-top sized maps that leave the player focused on the enemies whole ten cities? See for me who cares.
I want a blown up model. No auzzie, not the kind your dating at the moment lol :goodjob:

As a civ3 player I have the option of ease in obtaining balanced and realoaded gameplay. WHy only count deafult designer flawed play?

WHat I highlight in pink is unbacked and just not true, or you need to explain why CIv4's is better. I say civ3's is more streamlined. I can use any worker to spy on AI or AI vs AI . Thats real, workers are spys not ninjas.

Whats also true is CIv4 can't be played on huge maps with any mod that adds top heavy forumula to a the frame which is substaintially weight down to begin with.Of course I mean for the majorty tryin on these epicly added to mods
You say theres only a few complaints but you must be avoiding them. Besides you forget for the few you did focus on , one guy who complaints represents another 10 who don't bother. After you already have 1000 threads you can feel the hoplessness of the situation without sendin out another pointless distress call

Your back up here says 30 min to an hour and you seem to just be ignoring this stuff.
Moderator Action: Flaming - warned
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
And it's actually Aussie, not Auzzie.
AUssie eh? I know but my name is JONES not Jones, heh. Thanks tho. ;)

But the thing that really annoys me is that you seem to believe we Civ4 lovers are a minority.

You assume far to much friend. I stated civ4 struck gold with the conole group, the small maps friend, Its that way unpurpose of course it also makes for great multi-play.

Popular? Sure its more popular but for some of the wrong reasons. Think Fall from Heaven. Beatiful game. Enrealted to anythin civ whatsoever? Yes, now thats a shame.
Its acheivments are written about in all the PC mags but thats no indication of a greater strategy scale for sequals here. I can bet the avg age of bannanas, I mean users, has fallin with this latest one..

I used to constantly play on larger maps, but now i mostly play on Standard and Large maps, because i like them better (early game rushes are far more effective)[quoete].
Thats fine, but did your patience give you the choice to play the freedom level civ3 endevours enjoy? (remember maps with every city counting for you and the AI- aka Balanced and Reloaded. ANd Nope. Don't go there CIv4 mods are even more choice restricking

You've made realism arguments before, about how empires are supposed to feel "epic", but here you clearly state that more cities should not equal more work. I'm assuming a global empire is going to have a tough time managing

Real to me is personal pref, but freedom of persoanl pref is what I state civ4 has left. Its a travesty for me and many others I see (in the tech forums last 3 yrs)

YOu see maps equipt to hold multiple empires built for high magnitude attacks, alliences, trade, just overall consideration, are FUN!
You have to see that quite simply old Auzzie tactics like Army relience have been wiped clean with mods that have their invisable abilty hacked"

It makes better expiernces for me. I could sit and list the stream of Conquest features and COnquest refinments that smooth out huge map design, but I only addressed a few whined upon Pollution and corruption, both tamed yet both still variables on the empire managment plane. I believe without ether it helps tac on to a game thats starts to become unreal , and with worse then losing its sandbox feel you see high levels of maintence, yet no lose of funds to corruption. CAn't you see its just the same as bloated corruption minus the variable. THis all on some map where maint services delivering past 10 cites shoulnt even exist. Heh OT, but To me cor is like tax breaks for the wealty, bigger the empire the more rich guys divert. Oh but know , I sound like obama now

Oh but thats to keep the maps small for a reason having nothing to due with the engine not speeding through lategame hige maps so well,.

Heres 1/5 done the game and lots of land open . Sheild increases for settlers takes a few seconds
SO lets end the battles of the last word, AFter Auzzie of course :) Me I plan on loading up a vid for all to see and let my vid and the silcence there after, be. I'll let the others with their tales such as AUssies's few seconds of deleys on 400' city maps, tell the rest of the story.

Heres the preview of what was started with. I'll use a turn near the end when all areas are swelling with data. I expect the same in responce.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom