EPIC Games Thread

flaming_iles

Warlord
Rather than unusual games, I thought I'd create this new thread for anyone to talk about their games which turned out to be really good.

Here's my contribution.

I played as England, and tried for a time victory (really long time to play for a time victory, but really rewarding too)

I had the Inca, Aztecs (collapsed around 1950), and Americans as my vassals, and controlled Canada, Australia and South Africa. I had a tech lead over most civs but was average in military power.

I had a steady lead of 4-500 points over the nearest rival in the 19th/20th centuries but as the 21st century came about, Russia and Mongolia (the 2 highest military powers) started to catch up to me.

It became a really tense race to the finish, and every Time I tried to boost my score by building a wonder, I was beaten to it by 2-3 turns by my supposed friends (and vassal) the Americans :mad:

There were no large wars I was involved in until now, but in about 2035 it all kicked off... Mongolia (biggest military power by a mile), and its vassal, China declared war on Japan, and the new defensive pact system ensured that the world's biggest war started...

in the red corner, Mongolia and China

Nuetral, Spain, and Germany (vassal of Spain)

In the Blue Corner, EVERY other civ that was alive (England, Inca, America, France, Rome, Russia, Japan, Khmer, India, Turkey, Arabia and Egypt off the top of my head)

Seems a little unbalanced? Amazingly, the Mongols managed to hold and even expand their territory (capturing Seoul from the Japanese, and a few other small cities) until about 2035 when I noticed that they only had 1 source of oil and sent a stealth bomber after it ;)

That turned out to be a BIG mistake, because all of a sudden the Russians started capturing Mongol territory at a rate of 2-3 (major) cities per turn, making theor score dangerously close to mine. With 3 turns left, Russia was about 100 points behind me, and the Mongols were a mess. The Chinese collapsed, presumably because the Russians and Americans had fired so many nukes at them that almost every square of their territory was fallout(!) I didn't want to risk going to war with russia because I'd find myself at war with half of the world, most of which had the ability to nuke me back to the stone age. So I decided to help the Mongols. I made peace with them and gifted them some war resources since all of theirs had been pillaged. Amazingly, they managed to hold out for the last few turns, preventing Russia from capturing enough cities to creep ahead of me, and giving me a shiny (well earned) time victory :D

I only took 1 screenshot though, of the diplomacy screen of the huge war when it started. (coming later)

REALLY good game, the defensive pact/world war system is genius!

wow, great to see the AIs now use nukes properly. I didn't have much time to test it accurately, since most of my energy went to the defensive pacts.

What's strange in your game is that there was a big coalition (12 civs) which is possible only if 6 of them are vassals, as I set 6 as the cap for modern era

wow, great to see the AIs now use nukes properly. I didn't have much time to test it accurately, since most of my energy went to the defensive pacts.

What's strange in your game is that there was a big coalition (12 civs) which is possible only if 6 of them are vassals, as I set 6 as the cap for modern era

I missed a few civs actually, I think half of them were vassals anyway. It was weird how balanced the world against 2 civs was for a while.

I think that the AI is a little bit too nuke happy against the independents, when the vikings collapsed, the soviets carpeted scandinavia with nukes, then moved in. The same thing happened with America and Carthage.

Here's the screenshot of the war

Attachments

• RFC.jpg
    RFC.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 190
I missed a few civs actually, I think half of them were vassals anyway. It was weird how balanced the world against 2 civs was for a while.

I think that the AI is a little bit too nuke happy against the independents, when the vikings collapsed, the soviets carpeted scandinavia with nukes, then moved in. The same thing happened with America and Carthage.

Here's the screenshot of the war

please note that I didn't change AI attitude towards using nuke.
I just made sure that they build some.

Judging from the screenshot, 7 are clearly vassals. I'll lower the cap back to 5 major civs

I had a simply amazing game a few months ago as Babylon in which the entire world bowed to the awesome might of the nation known as "the Hegemony".

It started out simple, and I conqered the Greeks and Egyptians fairly early on. I built up a massive host of spearmen and catapults in anticipation of the Arabian spawn and, when they did come, obliterated their empire down to Sana (sp?) down in the bottom left-hand corner of Arabia, taking the rest for myself.

Now that I controlled three Holy Cities (Athenai popped Christianity in this game), I built all 3 shrines and converted to Judaism, quickly spreading it across Europe and knocking Rome out of the picture. France, Spain, and Germany tried to launch a "Triple Entente" war against me, but I had enough troops by this time to fend them off until I built the AP, then ended the war with my religious authority :D

Then I continued expanding, now that my control of European politics was assured. My armies marched into Persia and sacked Parsa, but I couldn't break through their lines to the north and east. So instead, I sent a few ships full of men to India, where I smashed my way to Dehli, collapsed the country, and took all their cities. Then I came in from both directions and finished off Persia. The "Hegemony", as I renamed Babylon, now stretched from the Italian peninsula all the way to the Chinese boarder. Of course, I had one weak point; Persia. The Russians were expanding down toward me, and their culture was threatening to cut off my supply lines to India.

Using the AP, I maneuvered Europe into war against Russia, and the French destroyed the Russian holdings near my border for me in no time. Russia was vassalized by the ever-growing Spain, however, and I realized too late that Spain now controlled massive amounts of land and troops.

In the early 2000s, it all broke down. The Hegemony was attacked by an alliance of Spain, England, France, Germany, Russia, and China. But on my side, America, the Incas, the Aztecs (an American vassal), and the Ethiopians stood firm. We fought for a long, long time, until the Hegemony met the main forces of Spain and England (the leaders of the enemy alliance) at Byzantion. The battle there was massive, and it took a full 4 minutes for all the men to finish their attacks and counter-attacks. But when it cleared, Byzantion was still in my hands, with reinforcements on the way fresh from Babyon and Hatussas. The Americans landed in the UK and began destroying their cities, then sent a barrage of nukes into Allied Europe, while I nuked China to pieces.

The game ended in 2050 (time victories are FUN!) with my side controlling a good 65% of the world following the war. (My stability was hardly above collapsing the entire time due to the sheer size of my empire, but I held it at bay with + modifiers spammed to no end).

who are the french yucatan? im guessing maya?

anyways, that really made me wanna go play a time victory myself LOL, only thing i dont like about it is that the game gets really slow wiht all those cities and civs, sometimes ending turns means waiting a minute

to everyone, has the situation improved with the new patch?

not sure the latest ive gotten so far is 1600, just downloaded it today. Its still a bit slow bout 30 sec load times for me

Top Bottom