Can I use the BUG mod? YES!

It should be OK. The mod files have to be installed in a Mods folder. This can either be the one in the BtS application folder or the one in the ~/Documents/BtS/ folder.

[Note that BUFFY will only work correctly to run BoTMs if it is installed in BtS application folder's Mods folder.]

Thanks again Alan. Your time to answer is much appreciated. I installed bug 4.4,but I don't see the leaders' faces in the animations - just their glasses or beards and mustaches or hair. It's like they are invisible. Can you refer me to one of the fixes in the 10 pages of this thread?

That's probably not a specific BUG problem. Chances are it's the one referred to in this FAQ post. Turn off anti-aliasing if you haven't already done so.

FINALLY. progress. With BUG4.2 anyway. (BlueMarble was easy compared)

1. Drop the unzipped Mod folder into the Applications/Civ 4/BTS/MODS
2. Open another unzipped Mod onto the desktop (same Mod as 1).
3. Selectively and carefully place files and folders from Mod's Assets folder into the appropriate subsections of the Custom Assets folder in Documents/Civ 4/BTS/Custom Assets; DO NOT overwrite any existing file or folder, just add to it. Overwriting the whole folders therein causes BTS to crash. BTS does not appear in Documents/Civ 4, until you load it at least once before hand.

4. Move the Privatemaps files (not the folder) into the public maps of Documents Civ 4/BTS

5. Create SoAndSoMOD folder, place Info and UserSettings folders into that.

6. Seems to work.

7. But I am very tired nao. ZZZzzz....

did I get it right?

I followed these instructions, since I want to use BUG as default playing mode, and starting a new game works pretty well.
Strange engough, when I load a pbem game save I get an empty technology advisor window. When I exit the window, I get the game screen with no interface at all :(
Is there any known way to fix that?

I followed these instructions, since I want to use BUG as default playing mode, and starting a new game works pretty well.
Strange engough, when I load a pbem game save I get an empty technology advisor window. When I exit the window, I get the game screen with no interface at all :(

Start by following the instructions on the Troubleshooting page linked in my sig. It tells how to enable logging and post the PythonErr.log file. We'll go from there.

I use BUG mod as default in all my games now as well. I installed it in the CustomAssets folder, which results in it showing up in all games. I put mods in the mod folder. Not all mods are compatible with BUG. When the mod is not compatible, it often causes the missing UI that you describe. The way that I have dealt with it is to go to the "mod_name.ini" file in the mod's folder and change "NoCustomAssets = 0" to "NoCustomAssets = 1". This inactivates BUG mod and lets the other mod work normally but you don't get the BUG mod stuff. If you want to use both, you have to merge them. If you follow Emperor-Fool's advice above, he may be able to help you do that. I can't.

Good point. Was that PBEM game started using a mod? If so, the mod will be loaded and may conflict with BUG. Edit that other mod's INI file as s.bernbaum said above if this is the case.

Actually no other mod at all. But I had BUFFY installed and deicded to use BUG instead (since I never play GOTM and that stuff) - maybe I didn't remove all files.

So, finally I've found the time for the log files - here they are.
I'm running BTS 3.19 for Mac and the most recent version of BUG mod on an iMac

Modellname: iMac
Modell-Identifizierung: iMac9,1
Prozessortyp: Intel Core 2 Duo
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,06 GHz
Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
Gesamtzahl der Kerne: 2
L2-Cache: 6 MB
Speicher: 4 GB
Busgeschwindigkeit: 1,07 GHz

Systemversion: Mac OS X 10.6.5 (10H574)
Kernel-Version: Darwin 10.5.0

And now I'm waiting for my Christmas present - sorry for bothering you, guys! :love:

Attachments

• log_files.zip
    18.3 KB · Views: 113
1. The instructions you say you followed refer to BUG v4.2, but you now say you have downloaded the most recent version, which is 4.4. Version 4.4 has a known problem for Macs, and I have explained how you fix that in post #172 above.

2. Your log file indicates that the mod can't find most of the files it is expecting. I suspect you have put them in the wrong places.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had already edited the BugUtil.py

And now I will have a look in the log files (first time in my life :eek: !), and I hope to get some enlightenment there :crazyeye:

So, now I've made a clean new install of my whole CIV, patched it to 3.19 and duplicated the folders in applications as well as in documents, so I have a backup now.

I've edited the BugUtil.py, duplicated the whole BUG mod folder and then very carefully followed the instructions of Hecateus.

It seems he forgot one thing to mention - at least I found a different advice in the BUGMod readme for windows:

---------
C:\Documents and Settings
<your user name>
My Documents
My Games
Beyond the Sword
CustomAssets <-- folders in Assets go here
BUG Mod <-- create this folder
GameSetUpCheck <-- copy these three folders here
Info
UserSettings
PublicMaps <-- copy files from PrivateMaps here
--------------

It works fine in SP Mode. But, when I first opened the PBEM save game I got the technical advisor screen with the whole tech tree, after clicking it away I got the game screen, but without interface again.
Then I wanted to get the log files, but since it was a new install of BUGMod too, logging wasn't enabled. So I edited the Civ.ini, started again, and alas! this time the technical advisor screen was empty.
Seems very strange to me.

I've attached the files here.

The mystery for me is that SP works and MP doesnt. (Hey, after posting this I'll try a Hot Seat game!)

And the paths are different between the Windows and the Mac versions.
I would really be interested in the exact paths of a working Mac BTS 3.19 BUG Mod 4.4 installation, including upper and lower cases and exact folder structures.
In the Readme the path for the my Games folder is shown above, on my (German) MacOS it is at the moment as follows:

[username]\Dokumente\Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\BUG Mod\...(Autolog, GameSetUpCheck, Info, UserSettings, CivilizationIV.ini)

Might that be a hint? How cheesy are Civ and the BUG Mod with upper case and so?

Attachments

• LogFiles_2.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 100
That path should be:

[username]\Dokumente\Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUG Mod\...(Autolog, GameSetUpCheck, Info, UserSettings, CivilizationIV.ini)

I have highlighted the extra folder in the path.

That path should be:

[username]\Dokumente\Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Mods\BUG Mod\...(Autolog, GameSetUpCheck, Info, UserSettings, CivilizationIV.ini)

I have BUG installed with "BUG mod" as folder in the CIV BTS folder, the same as Blondel58 shows. It has worked fine like that ever since I installed it. My Mods folder is empty.

OTOH, I only play Single Player, so I don't know what would happen with Multiple Player.

That path should be:

Ok, I have now tried this path too - made no difference at all.
I'll attach another couple of logfiles and a savegame. PW is Lincoln

I'm really curious wether someone will find out what is wrong!

Attachments

• LogFiles_3.zip
    8.4 KB · Views: 92
  • Zwei_gegen_KI_n._Chr.-1490_to_Blondel.CivBeyondSwordSave
    427.4 KB · Views: 71
Quick question: I am using the BUG4.4. I'd like the feature where when I scroll over the whip button, it gives me the about of hammer overflow. It says I need the BULL DLL or something like that.

Can I use that for MAC and where can I get it?

Thanks.

Can I use that for MAC and where can I get it?

Sadly, the Mac version of Civ4 doesn't support DLL mods such as BULL (the BUG DLL). :cry:

Thank you for answering. Is it because it cannot be done for Mac or is it because no one have gotten around to do it?

DLLs are a Windows construct. Macs and Linux/Unix have a similar concept (ELF), but not similar enough. Plus the DLL links to some Windows-only libraries (more code) that don't exist on the Mac. So it's not a matter of someone simply rolling up their sleeves. :(

Top Bottom