[TSL] Yet (not) Another Earth Maps Pack

There is no link, here, for the Vikings. Not that I've seen anyways. I downloaded it from the hub. The Mongolian one also. I also have The Spanish Empire mod and Carthage mod if you would like to add more to Europe.

Thanks

just tried a game with the vikings, and the first turns are okay. when does the game crash for you ?

SP moved 2 tiles west. River (blue) incorporated plus alternate stretch (light blue) to give u graphical freedom ;) and some questionmarks around some mountains (to high) in the region. Even though Karakorum is on a high altitude this is a plateau area with wide steppes so lowering mountains to hills mixed with some plains tiles would be more accurate. What do u think?
mongolia.png

Gave this a try recently and have to say it's a much better world map!

Some extra room for improvement though, in particular a helping hand for the "little guys", namely England and Japan. Due to the small starting area they tend to be hit very hard by the random resource allocation, I had to start several new games to get any decent resources for starting an English civilisation, and I expect Japan will have a similar problem, so it might be nice if they can get a more uniform/guaranteed allocation so that they can still thrive with fewer, larger cities. The way it is now I'm having to just tough it out but I'm falling really far behind other civilisations and that's only on Prince difficulty.

Also, for the UK in particular I'm confused by the presence of plains, I would think really the whole of the UK should be grassland based with hills and forest and the odd mountain range. Scotland in particular is a bit oddly distributed as I can assure you it's pretty damned wet here! Scotland could also do with the addition of the river Forth for placing a city near where Edinburgh should be.

Wales could probably do with a bit of an increase in size as well as it's currently only two or three hexes.

Yes, all niggles related to me wanting to start in the UK, but that's how I like to play Civilisation after all! Was pretty disappointed by the poor earth maps included in the game, and very impressed by this one (or set of maps rather), but if possible it'd be nice to see some of the above tweaks for the UK and Japan if they need it as well since while starting on a small area makes for a trivially defensible position it also greatly limits resources early in the game. I've tried to make the changes myself but I can't get world builder to work properly at all :(

I'm curious as well, is it possible to force the game to stop progressing past a certain Era; i.e - restrict what level of the tech tree you can reach, at which point you would only be able to complete that level but proceed no further down (or up if you prefer) the tree? Just curious, as it could be fun to be able to play games that stay at the medieval era for example, by starting on it but progressing no further; makes a science victory impossible of course, but gets more use out of most civ's special units.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

SP moved 2 tiles west. River (blue) incorporated plus alternate stretch (light blue) to give u graphical freedom ;) and some questionmarks around some mountains (to high) in the region. Even though Karakorum is on a high altitude this is a plateau area with wide steppes so lowering mountains to hills mixed with some plains tiles would be more accurate. What do u think?
View attachment 274104
done ;)

Gave this a try recently and have to say it's a much better world map!

Some extra room for improvement though, in particular a helping hand for the "little guys", namely England and Japan. Due to the small starting area they tend to be hit very hard by the random resource allocation, I had to start several new games to get any decent resources for starting an English civilisation, and I expect Japan will have a similar problem, so it might be nice if they can get a more uniform/guaranteed allocation so that they can still thrive with fewer, larger cities. The way it is now I'm having to just tough it out but I'm falling really far behind other civilisations and that's only on Prince difficulty.
Well, I've coded the mechanism to balance this, but I haven't really set the balance value yet... :D
if you use the "Add specific resources at starting positions" option, england will start with horses, iron and coal (this one being also given by the "Add major deposits of strategic resources" option) if not in the first city radius, at least at 5 or 6 tiles max (and on the UK island, but it could end in Edinburgh territory...)

Using this option Japan start with iron and whales.

But this did not give them any advantage as other civs start with similar resources...

This is set in the CivilizationsRequestedResource.xml file that can be found in the "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Yet not Another Earth Maps Pack (v 5)\XML\" folder.

The file can be editd with any text editor to your liking.

For example, the entry of England is :

Spoiler :
Code:
		<Row>
			<Type>CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND</Type>
			<Req1>RESOURCE_IRON</Req1>
			<Yield1>2</Yield1>
			<Req2>RESOURCE_HORSE</Req2>
			<Yield2>2</Yield2>
			<Req3>RESOURCE_COAL</Req3>
			<Yield3>6</Yield3>
			<Req4>RESOURCE_KRYPTONITE</Req4>
			<Yield4>6</Yield4>
		</Row>

let's help england a bit and replace Kryptonite (just used to test if something could break when setting non vanilla resource, a non-existing resource -or one with typo error- will just not be placed) by silver and add some food :

Spoiler :
Code:
		<Row>
			<Type>CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND</Type>
			<Req1>RESOURCE_IRON</Req1>
			<Yield1>2</Yield1>
			<Req2>RESOURCE_HORSE</Req2>
			<Yield2>2</Yield2>
			<Req3>RESOURCE_COAL</Req3>
			<Yield3>6</Yield3>
			<Req4>RESOURCE_SILVER</Req4>
			<Req5>RESOURCE_FISH</Req5>
		</Row>

note that non-strategic resource don't need the <Yield> tag...

save and test ;)

6 is the max number of resource that you can add this way to a civ starting position (yet, don't know if more is needed...)

I will change those value anyway, but feel free to test somes, and as a general note, I'll like to know the results of games on the giant map, who's leading, who's needing boost, etc...

Also, for the UK in particular I'm confused by the presence of plains, I would think really the whole of the UK should be grassland based with hills and forest and the odd mountain range. Scotland in particular is a bit oddly distributed as I can assure you it's pretty damned wet here! Scotland could also do with the addition of the river Forth for placing a city near where Edinburgh should be.

Wales could probably do with a bit of an increase in size as well as it's currently only two or three hexes.

Yes, all niggles related to me wanting to start in the UK, but that's how I like to play Civilisation after all! Was pretty disappointed by the poor earth maps included in the game, and very impressed by this one (or set of maps rather), but if possible it'd be nice to see some of the above tweaks for the UK and Japan if they need it as well since while starting on a small area makes for a trivially defensible position it also greatly limits resources early in the game. I've tried to make the changes myself but I can't get world builder to work properly at all :(
I wasn't satisfied with the shape of england, but it's really difficult to keep it in scale and interesting to play. I will post a version of the giant map with an oversized uk later for testing. Still some plains, cause I don't like monotonous terrain :)

I'm curious as well, is it possible to force the game to stop progressing past a certain Era; i.e - restrict what level of the tech tree you can reach, at which point you would only be able to complete that level but proceed no further down (or up if you prefer) the tree? Just curious, as it could be fun to be able to play games that stay at the medieval era for example, by starting on it but progressing no further; makes a science victory impossible of course, but gets more use out of most civ's special units.

Anyway, keep up the great work!

yep, there's already a mod or two to do that I think... They should be compatible with this mod.

for those who had a map without resources, I've noticed (and eradiqued I hope) a bug with the mod not placing random resources if there was a civilization with no TSL (ie: a custom civ added by another mod)

test version with change to Mongolia SP and redrawn UK :

Attachments

• Yet not Another Earth Maps Pack (v 5).civ5mod
    124.4 KB · Views: 382
test version with change to Mongolia SP and redrawn UK :
Sounds good! I don't suppose I could trouble you for a screenshot of the redrawn UK? See I actually mostly play on the Mac version of Civ 5 which your mod won't work with (yet), so I have to run under WINE but it's a bit unstable and currently doesn't work, not much luck for me :)

I was thinking that marsh-land may make more sense than plains for the UK, combined with the addition of a river for the Forth would break up Scotland quite nicely, but of course I dunno if that's what you've done already.

Anyway, keep up the great work, this is by far my favourite TSL mod, and the giant earth map is brilliant for playing on, I just wish I could get Windows Civ 5 to run more reliably!

Thanks also for the mini-guide to tweaking starting resources, if I do have any luck I'll give it a go. I've recently been playing the Legendary Earth Mod, which is the only TSL mod I've been able to get working on the Mac version of Civ 5, while its UK is quite pokey and funny shaped, the resource allocation is extremely good early on. I think what YnAEMP was always missing for me were fish tiles (any that did appear were usually over by Ireland so hard to get at early on), and luxury items, as the only luxury tiles I ever got seemed to be Marble which is very difficult to take advantage of before your civilisation starts to become unhappy. LEM however had a few fur tiles and fish in all starts I've tried, I'll try to edit it into my own resource .xml file if I get the chance, but just wanted to say; the resource allocation in the UK for later in the game is perfectly good, but earlier on it can be brutal for a starting Civ.

Sorry if you've already addressed this, I'm gonna go kick my WINE install of Civ 5 to see if I can bring it back to life :)

ok, then maybe here's a little something to help you get the motivation to make WINE works again... :D

Spoiler :

ok, then maybe here's a little something to help you get the motivation to make WINE works again... :D
Lol, that'll certainly do it! Think I managed to fix my WINE problem (just have to look out for happening again) so I'm hopping right in shortly!

I just wish the Mac version supported mods properly, with a bit of minor trickery I got it to show the mods menu and install your mod, game sets up fine, but none of the scripts trigger properly, just end up with a crush of 12 civilisations within 6 hexes of each other, not pretty!

But the remastered UK certainly is, so WINE'll just have to do for now, thanks for all the great work on this! :D

OIL resources you can add into the game if you haven't already...

Montana, North Dakota, Jamaica and Alaska.

For me, the game would crash right at the beginning while it was loading. I'll get back at you with the Vikings crashing when I run a few more test.

Thanks

I've dl'd your mod and followed your directions with the exception of merging files since I have no other mods. I start the game through custom game and make and select my civ and several others and adjust some of your options. When I actually start the game I'm having issues with starting points similar to some earlier posters. Aztecs start in the middle of the ocean, and America starts in the water in northern canada. Rome, Greece and the Ottomans all in N. America. Any idea what I'm doing wrong.

I'm not experienced with modding, just attempting to use this one because it sounds excellent. So if any suggestions could be simple or step by step I'd greatly appreciate it.

I love this mod, but I've been having some trouble.

The game crashes anytime I try to start a game on a giant or huge map. I just tried standard, and that was fine. When I try giant, it crashes a few moments after it starts loading. When I try huge, it crashes later on, but before it reaches the point where you click start.

I was preparing for Civ-filled extended weekend, fired up this mod, put city states to 0, standard resources, 19 civs etc. other game options you know the deal and fired the game. To my disappointment the city states are still there.

So what do I need to edit to remove city states? I can't even find the data about the amount of them. One would have thought deleting everything at "Selection of recommanded City States to use with Ynaem" in YanemDefines.lua file and starting a game with preselected city states option would have removed them, but what do you know - there they are.

I can come up with some stupid workarounds like making the city states spawn next to me and kill them traditionally one-by-one. But yeah would help if I had to kill only one if modding out the whole civ state creation/placement process is more time consuming explanation to do.

edit.

I love this mod, but I've been having some trouble.

The game crashes anytime I try to start a game on a giant or huge map. I just tried standard, and that was fine. When I try giant, it crashes a few moments after it starts loading. When I try huge, it crashes later on, but before it reaches the point where you click start.

That one guy earlier in this thread adviced to continue with your autosaves after the crash.

Not really related but I've had few times where after clicking the start button, it does nothing. Restarting the game helped on that issue.

Autosave didn't work, which doesn't surprise me that much. I mean, if it crashes before I can start, then how would it autosave?

Anyway, I looked, and there was no autosave.

Does anyone have any idea what to do?

Edit: Alright, it seems that I was able to run a huge map by right clicking on the process, and changing the priority from normal to real time. I don't know if that could cause problems, and I don't know if there are any other solutions, but that works for right now.

Hi,

I played on giant map (v4) and my game crashes always after round 409.
I added my savegame. If someone would like to test it, I use this additional mods:

Unofficial Patch III (v 29)
InfoAddict (v 7)
City-State Diplomacy Mod 2.0 (v 5)
Balance - Terrain Improvements (v 14)
Balance - Research (v 5)
Balance - Policies (v 8)
Balance - Leaders (v 7)
Balance - Diplomacy (v 4)
Balance - Combat (v 16)
Balance - City Development (v 9)

Attachments

• Bismarck3.Civ5Save
    1.5 MB · Views: 286
Have to try that one too :)

yes the auto-saves dont work in this case because the game was crashing before the map even finished loading.

That temporary solution I found (giving the civ5 process higher priority) doesn't work with giant map. It still shuts down when I try to start. It got a little farther, but not much.

I don't understand it. For those that are playing on giant earth map, how are you doing it?

This is getting on my nerves.

Top Bottom