A heretic's strategy of Civ II

Lawless

Chieftain
Pretty much everything I've read about Civ II shows that the other players' experiences differ much from my own. So I would like to share some observations, in case anyone is interested.

First, a brief comment on the government types, specifically Communism. The authors of the game have a very naive notion that central planning eliminates corruption and waste. No one who comes from Eastern Europe and is old enough to remember the time around 1980 needs to be told what an uncontrollable orgy of corruption and waste a centrally planned economy is. In Civ II, I don't really mind, though, as it makes Communism a perfect combination of military strength and research power (before switching to another inhumane but efficient government – Fundamentalism). After all, it's just a game.

It is characteristical to my games that the CPs always get roughly two times more resources out of the same territory than I do. I am used to seeing enemy cities surronded by fields in beautiful colors, and it's really amazing how their Settlers and Engineers can achieve so much.
That can be explained by my different strategy: beating quality with quantity. When I have four or six times more cities than the enemy (and I usually do), I still have more resources and can do better science and afford more troops. You see, what it all boils down to is that in order to make terrain improvements, you need Settlers/Engineers. However, instead of having a Settler/Engineer spend time and eat food improving a terrain to achieve a not-so-big gain in resources, I prefer to send him out to build a new city. That way, I'll begin to get resources from two new squares instead of just increasing the gains from one square. Even though the new city will spend some time taking care of its basic defense and development needs, it will eventually start to make profit for the empire, not to mention providing a foothold for my troops.
Considering the experience from the games I've played, there is no doubt in my mind that it's always more useful to send a Settler/Engineer out to build a new city rather than make him do anything else. When there is no room for building new cities or your world has reached the maximum number of 255 cities (how I hate that!), or the game's end is so near that it wouldn't make any sense to create more cities, it's more reasonable to build something else than an Engineer.
So I never build an irrigation. I never build a mine. I never build a road. But I do build a huge number of cities. I leave hardly any unused land between my cities. Of course I settle the most resource-rich places first, but eventually I cover the land area that's available to me completely with cities. When the better lands are taken, I even use up the polar regions which the enemy never does. My territory spreads over the whole world while each CP limits himself to a relatively small area which is thinly populated with megalopolises, and keeps building Engineers to tear down hills and double-irrigate them. Which brings me to the next subject.

Civ II has an ugly but quite helpful feature – pollution. It occurs (on a smaller scale) when the production in a city exceeds a certain amount, or (on a larger scale) when a nuclear bomb or a nuclear plant explodes. (The latter I've never seen.) If pollution isn't cleaned away, it eventually causes a global warming which changes terrains randomly here and there – grassland to plains, plains to desert, forest to jungle etc. What is the result of that? The huge cities of the enemy that depend on best-quality agricultural land, begin to starve. His resources are bound in a hopeless race against time, trying to restore his food production. Also he keeps sending out Engineer after Engineer to try and clean away some pollution before my Stealth Fighters find them. As to me, my cities take significantly smaller damage (because they are smaller), and the ones on the coast can live off the ocean anyway. Already in the early stages of the game, I know that the ecological disaster is bound to occur eventually. Therefore, I build my cities on the coast whenever I can. The enemy doesn't. So, by the time most of the dryland is covered with jungles and swamps, he suffocates and I thrive.
I love the ocean. The ocean is life. The ocean is a fast road to anywhere. The ocean is the way to the islands the enemy is too stupid to discover and colonize. If you have expanses of water, why build roads? If you can fish, why irrigate? For that matter (as I quickly realized), why fight pollution in the first place? Since it does no damage to the ocean (which is strange, of course, but that's how the game has been designed), it's in fact useful to an thalassocratic player like me. The enemy cities built away from the ocean suffer, as does a small minority of my cities, but those on the coast don't care and the ones built on 1-square islands really flourish. Even polar cities blossom under the ecological disaster as long as I buy them a Harbor and an Offshore Platform.
Furthermore, having many small cities instead of a few big ones gives me a decisive strategical advantage. Thanks to having cities all over the world, it's easy to send my airplanes, missiles and Paratroopers out to any region. And to make it even easier for me, the enemy covers his territory almost without fail with a cobweb of railroads, which is ugly all right, but enables me to move around in my offensive zone with no movement point cost. So, once I have set foot on a continent, the CP's task of defending all his cities at the same time becomes impossible. Using Spies, I can investigate all the enemy cities within a railroad continuum and attack the one with the weakest defenses. Now, it can take an awful lot of time to conquer one city on a continent and send a number of Howitzers into it, but once that is done, the conquest of the (almost) whole continent becomes a piece of cake. Should the enemy, on the other hand, try and attack my core territory, his troops will have to crawl their way through roadless jungles where they usually get blown to kingdom come long before reaching my cities.

Welcome to CivFanatics Lawless.

First, a brief comment on the government types, specifically Communism. The authors of the game have a very naive notion that central planning eliminates corruption and waste. No one who comes from Eastern Europe and is old enough to remember the time around 1980 needs to be told what an uncontrollable orgy of corruption and waste a centrally planned economy is.
Good observation. Agreed.

I should mention on the side that in Civ2 Communism does have corruption and it is not very low. What makes it seem very low is the fact that it is uniform in all your cities as opposed to increasing with distance from the capital. Since more often than not your capital is not in the geographic center of your empire, corruption in far away cities in other forms of governments becomes a major problem.

The designers were even more naive in modeling fundamentalism. It was specifically modeled with the Islamic Republic of Iran in mind and that is not just a guess. Take a look at the rules.txt and the Persian leader under fundamentalism is called ayatollah. Furthermore, he is the only leader to be given that title.

Just like you being from Eastern Europe and having seen Communism first hand, I am originally from Iran and have seen Fundamentalism first hand. The idea of no corruption there is laughable. Fundamentalism should have had as much corruption as despotism. The idea of no unhappy citizens under fundamentalism is also ridiculous; if anything there should be a lot more unhappiness because people's personal (as well as social) freedoms are taken away.

The strategy you are describing tells me that you have been playing in isolation. You are no novice, but not a seasoned player either. Here are a few observations:

1. You seem to be only concerned about conquest. What makes Civ2 different from many other strategy games is the fact that you can win without conquest by being the first to land your space ship. Many players prefer this strategy.

2. The game you are describing is a very long game in terms of real time and number of turns. One of the goals of many players is to end the game sooner. In fact in the ongoing GOTM (Game of the Month) competition how fast you finish (in terms of the number of turns) is highly rewarded. You have not mentioned it but I am guessing your games typically last close to game year 2000. Seasoned players often finish before 1850.

3. You are concerned about the limit of 255 cities. Expert players rarely reach 150 not because we run out of room but because we do not need to build that many cities to win the game decisively whether we play for conquest or landing. You may find this hard to believe (I know I was incredulous at first) but you can win this game with just one city.

4. Your conquest strategy is very late game. Top conquest players often finish up in the ancient era. Our current champion, Peaster, usually conquers the world with Crusaders. Mid game conquests are quite common. Late game conquests only come into play in special circumstances.

While there is a ton of material here to read and learn, there is no better way of learning than joining the ongoing GOTM competition. We not only play the same game we post logs and status shots. You can see how other players play the same game as yours and how games can evolve quite differently.

> What difficulty level do you play on?

I started with level 1, and when it became too easy I moved up. Currently I'm playing level 5.

> Communism does have corruption and it is not very low. What makes it seem very low is the fact that it is
> uniform in all your cities as opposed to increasing with distance from the capital.

The manual says there is no corruption under Communism, and indeed I have never seen any.

> You seem to be only concerned about conquest.

Absolutely.

> you can win without conquest by
> being the first to land your space ship.

I couldn't care less about the space race, therefore I always turn it off.

> The game you are describing is a very long game in terms of real time and number of turns. One of the goals
> of many players is to end the game sooner.
> [---]
> Your conquest strategy is very late game. Top conquest players often finish up in the ancient era.

Yes, my games are very long in terms of real time. The thing is, I find some units one gets later in the game really cool. So whenever I win a game in the 18th century or something, I move up a difficulty level. After I've won a Deity-level game before the airplanes, I will probably quit Civ 2 and start playing Civ 3 instead.

> limit of 255 cities. Expert players rarely reach 150 [---] You may find this hard to believe [---] but you can
> win this game with just one city.

I believe it all right, but it so happens that I really enjoy exploring the world and finding suitable places for inhabitation and building cities. Even if I could win the game with only half a dozen cities, I don't think I would enjoy it much.

The manual says there is no corruption under Communism, and indeed I have never seen any.
Given your description of how closely you place cities and never build any irrigation or roads your cities are probably all really small in size and do not produce many arrows. That is why you do not see the corruption. Get a city well above size 12 producing a lot of arrows and I bet you will see it.

P = +/- 75. Human life expectancy. That's how long you have to play.

Civ = xBitsYBites. It depends if you want to manually or automatically play the game. You could sit for hours, days, or minutes on this or simply declare you can do it.

I've manually handled 125 cities with every important city improvement while giving commands to all kinds of units. I had 500 engineers work around the clock to get the score in my sig.

Crazy huh. I think the game couldn't handle it. That's why it cheated.

I've manually handled 125 cities with every important city improvement while giving commands to all kinds of units. I had 500 engineers work around the clock to get the score in my sig.
:smug: 254 cities, with just 1 "pet" computer city to keep the game going

On deity, how do you handle things like corruption and unhappy citizens in the early game?
Usually I'll have to run a tight control on the number of cities built before I hit Michelangelo's Chapel and Statue of Liberty (Communism). The reason being that more concentrated populations allow for scientists, and just one of these guys can give the same research (corruption-free) as three far-flung population 1 cities. I think Monarchy as a government seems to favor the 6-8 population grassland cities, with the last two citizens being switched over to scientists.

On deity, how do you handle things like corruption and unhappy citizens in the early game?

I put up with corruption and waste and do my best to upgrade to Monarchy as quickly as I can.

Against unhappy citizens I keep military units in the cities. It's also good for defense.

more concentrated populations allow for scientists, and just one of these guys can give the same research (corruption-free) as three far-flung population 1 cities.

Cool. I've been waiting for someone to give me reasons to grow the existing cities instead of building new ones.

However, during my most recent game I began to think that it may be more convenient to steal science and spend my own resources on other things. Great Library is very helpful, of course.

Top Bottom