Civ 5 on an SSD.

Riker13

King
Hi All,

Has anybody played CIV 5 on a SSD yet, just wondered what the speed increase was like?

My new PC will be here this week with SSD and I will be putting Civ on it so I will report back.

Regards

Riker13 :crazyeye:

Once you have a good enough GPU Civ V becomes all about clock speed (provided you have a dual core).

My new PC has a GTX 560 Ti in it so is it now down to the Ghtz?

I think they have OC`ed the i7 950 cpu to 4ghz.

Regards

I would say in theory that a SSD would be faster than a spinning disk. Still not sure though if the hangup of this game is bad coding, large swap file, or intense graphics, since people have had problems related to all 3+ issues.

I have the game installed on my SSD and I didn't notice anything. Oh wait, would that be because I didn't try on it on a normal HDD?

However, I compared with a lot of other games and my conclusion is that it doesn't matter that much. Most of the loading time in games is due to some processing activity implying a heavy CPU and RAM usage and almost no I/O other than the strict loading of the necessary assets. Games such as Dragon Age are still loading pretty slowly, Unreal Engine powered ones are still lightning fast and as far as I can tell, Civ V still takes nearly a minute to load a game.

My new PC has a GTX 560 Ti in it so is it now down to the Ghtz?

I think they have OC`ed the i7 950 cpu to 4ghz.

Regards

Yes, the overclocking community can get as high as 4.2 or so, I believe, without extravagant cooling solutions

I have the game installed on my SSD and I didn't notice anything. Oh wait, would that be because I didn't try on it on a normal HDD?

However, I compared with a lot of other games and my conclusion is that it doesn't matter that much. Most of the loading time in games is due to some processing activity implying a heavy CPU and RAM usage and almost no I/O other than the strict loading of the necessary assets. Games such as Dragon Age are still loading pretty slowly, Unreal Engine powered ones are still lightning fast and as far as I can tell, Civ V still takes nearly a minute to load a game.

A minute is good. Towards turn 300, it takes about 15 to 20 minutes on my laptop. Sometimes, it almost gets done and then reboots.

Top Bottom