Does Civ5 have the same reqs as the demo?

cain3456

King
I ask because I tried Warlock, which supposedly uses the Civ5 engine, and couldn't get it to play on my machine. I tried the Civ5 demo and it works fine, tho it takes a long time to load. I'm wondering if between the demo and the actual release Firaxis boosted their reqs.

Probably not (noticeable). However I do not know what the Demo actually is... is it a starting game with a single civ against a single enemy on a duel sized map maybe even capped to xx turns?
That of course works much better than a late game situation on a huge map with 20 civs and 2352308572318956235 units on the map.
So if the demo works most likely you'll be fine for smaller/standard sized maps, but larger/huge maps might become very painful to play or even crash.

Warlock: Master of the Arcane? The Youtube vid I just google'd looks like a better Civ 4 to me (or a mix between the Civ 4 and 5 engine at best).

Spoiler :
Pretty funny that they sell "a better mod" as a full-price game...

edit) just read some more about the game and I don't think it is in any way related to Firaxis or the CiV game engine... it just looks very similar.

So... what are you computer specs anyway?

The demo is a small world, continents, 6 player game on chieftain, first three ages. I understand that the endgame can be a headache, I already run into that on Civ4, especially when I play FFH2. But it looks like I can play Civ5 if I don't mind a long wait between turns, and I'm already used to that.

The specs:

------------------
System Information
------------------

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: EMACHINES
System Model: T5230
BIOS: )Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ (2 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 894MB RAM
Page File: 1346MB used, 872MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03D0&SUBSYS_60261509&REV_A2
Display Memory: 313 MB
Dedicated Memory: 122 MB
Shared Memory: 191 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic Non-PnP Monitor
Driver Name: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
Driver Version: 7.15.0011.7813 (English)
DDI Version: 10
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/18/2008 00:55:00, 5963776 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

I know, I need a new computer. Got a thousand bucks?

Oh wow! That is actually way below the minimal required specs!
Maybe I was wrong with the the estimation that the full game with small maps would run similar to the demo.

Now I gotta say I really don't expect this machine to run CiV at all :shake:

Maybe you should have a friend install the game/steam with his account on your computer just to test it (you can't play it at the same time as him, so you can't share it permanently). Or make sure you can get a refund where you buy it, if it doesn't work.

Spoiler :
Or buy a new computer :goodjob:

Or make sure you can get a refund where you buy it, if it doesn't work.

Since the key is used then, it would at the end be fraud, because you can't really give it back. -> Don't do that.

But the rest of the above post is sure right.

Edit: Moderator Action: Moved to tech support.

I ask because I tried Warlock, which supposedly uses the Civ5 engine, and couldn't get it to play on my machine. I tried the Civ5 demo and it works fine, tho it takes a long time to load. I'm wondering if between the demo and the actual release Firaxis boosted their reqs.

Warlock may play and look similar, but it's a completely different game. Don't use it as a benchtest for Civ V.

If you can play the demo then you should be able to play the full game, provided that you stick to smaller map sizes and leave graphics settings low. No guarantees, though.

Well, I took the plunge, and it runs! Up to renaissance/industrial era on standard continents.

Top Bottom