Poland: The Aristocratic Democracy

The noble council decided it was time to nurture the Polish economy. They chose Konrad, son of the late king Casimir, to succeed.
Spoiler :

The newly elected king found his domain in this state:
Spoiler :

Konrad's first policy was to spread Catholicism, the state religion, to all cities. Christianization was finished in 1210 with the conversion of Gdańsk.
Spoiler :

After the religious affairs were dealt with, king Konrad ordered all provinces to construct blacksmiths. Around this time, artistic craftsmanship emerged in Poland. It became widely known in western Europe. In 1246, the Holy Romans purchased the secrets of the art from the Polish monarch.
Spoiler :

Otherwise, Konrad's reign was rather uneventful. Poland was at the beginning of a new period in its economy. The king died a peaceful death in 1247.
Spoiler :

Elections will be posted in a new post.

Bolesław the Shy
Spoiler :

King's nephew. Named Shy because of his chastity vows, which render him unable to consummate his marriage. A devout Catholic.
Policies:
  • Construct the Apostolic Palace in Kraków (chop-rush)
  • Construct Catholic churches after current projects are finished
  • Maintain good relations with Catholic states

Casimir of Kuyavia
King's son. Believes in Russian weakness and wants to take advantage of it. Also thinks economy is vital in future conflicts.
Policies:
  • Train Knights in Kraków, then in Połock and Kijów when forges are built
  • Gdańsk continues work on Harbor
  • Attack southern Russia with a stack of at least 8 units

Siemowit of Masovia
Spoiler :

King's son. Sees Kijów is crippled without access to three tiles with resources. Wants to maximize cultural output in Kijów while also focusing on the military.
Policies:
  • Construct a monastery in Kijów after the forge is built
  • Train 4 siege units in Kraków, then melee
  • Cancel the harbor in Gdańsk, construct barracks
  • Construct barracks in Połock after the forge is finished

Władysław of Opole
Spoiler :

Son of Mieszko Tanglefoot. Wants to strengthen the church by funding monasteries. Slight focus on the army.
Policies:
  • Construct a monastery in Gdańsk instead of Harbor
  • Construct monasteries in Połock and Kijów once forges are built
  • Train crossbowmen in Kraków

Bolesław Rogatka
Spoiler :

Son of Henry the Pious; grandson of Henry the Bearded; great-grandson of Bolesław Wysoki. Wants to reform the election system, giving voting rights to the whole of Szlachta (Polish nobles), and not just a chosen few. Believes espionage is key to local domination.
Policies:
  • Construct a Sejmik in Kraków and Gdańsk (cancel harbor)
  • Construct Sejmik in Połock and Kijów after forges are built
  • The royal dynasty would only have one candidate; others would come from the Szlachta

Henry the White
Does not run, supports his brother Konrad of Głogów instead.

Konrad of Głogów
Son of Henry the Pious; grandson of Henry the Bearded; great-grandson of Bolesław Wysoki. Wants to increase literacy rates, but not through the Church.
Policies:
  • Construct Libraries after forges are built
  • Cancel harbor in Gdańsk

Election runs until Wednesday 9 PM GMT, unless less than five votes are cast.

Saving my vote for later.

IDK but this Arabia worries me. The Turks will get them, I hope. As for Korea, I guess it's more likely to happen on slow game speeds.

Bolesław the Shy, though an invasion of Russia would be interesting for you stability (And peace with the Turks)

Bolesław the Shy

Wladyslaw of Opole

Bolesław Rogatka

I think you lost the 1st goal...

Bolesław Rogatka

Casimir of Kuyavia

Just because nobody is going to vote him.

The election is over. Bolesław Rogatka wins.
Spoiler :

The noble council voted to extend the electoral rights to all of the Szlachta. King Bolesław agreed to do so once there is a sejmik in every city. Until then, only royal Piasts may run for king and only a selected few noblemen could vote.

King Bolesław swiftly went on to enforce his policies, beginning construction of a sejmik in Kraków and Gdańsk.
Spoiler :

In 1252, crop thieves were commonplace in Ukraine. Local authorities set a high reward for catching them, dead or alive.
Spoiler :

Muscovy was demanding as ever, but the Poles did not give in to their deceiving pleas.
Spoiler :

In 1273, Poland traded technologies with the kingdom of Norway. The exchange was beneficial for both parties; the local alliance gained strength.
Spoiler :

King Bolesław died in 1278, leaving the country in the midst of construction projects.
Spoiler :

The noble council assembles to choose a king from the ruling dynasty (reminder: not from the Szlachta yet - must have a sejmik in every city).

Election coming soon. But before I post that, please post what you think about the way I enforce the chosen policies - do I make many mistakes? Were the trades with the Vikings disadvantageous? Would you play it out differently, and if so, how?

Looking forward to your replies :)

Oh yeah, by the way, forgot to change my name to Bolesław Rogatka, hence the Konrad of Masovia in trade with Vikings. Sorry!

I'm only concerned about the 1st goal. You should control 3 cities with population over 12 by 1300AD, and it seems you won't win through UHV. In this case you should win in a different way. Given the late start and the prussian spawn, IMO URVs are out of question. So the only strategy left is the classic CiV IV victories. Your core is too small to try conquest and domination victories, too late to win a cultural victory, too difficult to win a diplomatic, so the only victories left are space and score. Conquer Russia and try a space victory (make sure to conquer London and destroy the rest of England before doing so).

I'm not a fan of UHV in general, I usually play and abandon the game once I gain significant advantage. Of course, not in this game: this one I'm playing till the end.

As for Space Race and conquering England: we'll see what the noblemen choose ;)

Sent from my RM-892_eu_poland_442 using Tapatalk

This election has 18 candidates running.
*shakes fist in the air* damn you, historicity!

Because of that, there will be two rounds. Each candidate with at least two votes will enter the second round. Due to the number of candidates, it is possible to show many variants of similar policies. Choose the one most tailored for your taste!

The candidates are:
Bernard the Lightsome
Spoiler :

Son of king Bolesław. Believes in knightly valor; is a benefactor of the Church. Does not want to give the whole of Szlachta voice in the elections.

Policies:
-Stop construction of Sejmiks
-Build Catholic monasteries
-Wherever there already is a monastery, build stables and train knights
-Research Divine Right

Henry Probus
Spoiler :

Son of Henry the White. Believes current election system is ill-functioning, but does not want to grant political powers to the whole of Szlachta. Wants to prepare for war with the Arabs.

Policies:
-Stop construction of Sejmiks
-Construct harbor in Gdańsk
-Construct barracks and stable in Kijów
-Construct barracks in Połock after the forge is built
-Train units in Kraków
-Research Guilds

Przemko of Ścinawa
Spoiler :

Son of Konrad or Głogów. Wants to take on a defensive stance. Supports the Szlachta's electoral rights.

Policies:
-Finish contruction of the sejmiks in Gdańsk and Kijów
-Build Sejmik in Połock after the forge is built
-Construct walls and castle in Kraków and in other cities when their projects are finished
-Research Guilds

Henry the Bellied
Spoiler :

The eldest son of king Bolesław. Support's the Szlachta's electoral rights. Wants to invest in scientific progress.

Policies:
-Finish sejmiks in Gdańsk and Kijów
-Build a sejmik in Połock after the forge
-Build a library in Kraków and other cities when they finish their projects
-Research Paper

Bolko the Strict
Spoiler :

Son of king Bolesław. Wants current election system to prevail. He is a fan of drama and other forms of entertainment.

Policies:
-Stop construction of sejmiks
-Build amphitheatre in Gdańsk, Kraków and Kijów (and Połock after the forge)
-Research Drama

Konrad the Hunchback
Spoiler :

Son of Konrad of Głogów. Obedient to the Pope, wants to build him a glorious palace. Supports the Szlachta.

Policies:
-Finish sejmiks
-Start construction of the Apostolic Palace in Kraków, chop-rush it
-Build churches and monasteries after the sejmiks are built
-Research Divine Right

Henryk of Głogów
Son of Konrad of Głogów. A heretic: admits to have converted to Islam. Wants to convert Poland to his own faith. Wants to abolish the free Piast election system and have only his sons be eligible. Does not support the Szlachta.

Policies:
-Cancel sejmiks
-Convert to state religion: Islam
-Construct Islamic monasteries in Gdańsk and Kijów
-Train Islamic missionaries and convert Kraków and Połock
-Kraków builds a library
-Research Divine Right

Mieszko of Cieszyn
Spoiler :

Son of Władysław of Opole. Supports the Szlachta. Wants to invest in culture and science.

Policies:
-Construct libraries after the sejmiks are finished
-Research drama

Kazimierz of Bytom
Son of Władysław of Opole. Supports the Szlachta. Wants to send an expedition to the far east and wants to progress towards more advanced navy (Guilds->Optics).

Policies:
-Finish the sejmiks
-Train an explorer in Kraków and send him east
-Train another explorer and map western Europe
-Train a spy and check on Russia
-Research Guilds, then Optics

Bolko of Opole
Son of Władysław of Opole. Supports the Szlachta. Wants to spy on Russia and increase military might in preparation for a future war.

Policies:
-Finish sejmiks
-Train a spy in Kraków and send him to Russia
-Then construct a stable in Kraków and train Knights
-Research Guilds

Przemysław of Racibórz
Son of Władysław of Opole. Does not support the Szlachta. He has received extraordinary education and wants the country to focus on philosophical dilemmas.

Policies:
-Cancel sejmiks
-Build libraries
-Research Philosophy

Siemomysł of Kuyavia
Son of Kazimierz of Kuyavia. Wants to settle the Crimean region. Supports the Szlachta.

Policies:
-Finish sejmiks
-Train a settler in Kraków
-Settle 4S 3E of Kijów (the very tip of Crimea)
-Research Guilds

Władysław the Elbow-high
Spoiler :

Son of Kazimierz of Kuyavia. Does not support the Szlachta; instead, he wants a classical hereditary monarchy with his oldest son taking the throne (no elections until his line is extinct - hint: check Wikipedia for this ;) ). Wants to focus on the military.

Policies:
-Cancel Sejmiks
-Construct harbor in Gdańsk
-Construct barracks in Połock (after forge) and Kijów
-Train infantry in Kraków
-Research Guilds

Kazimierz of Łęczyca
Son of Kazimierz of Kuyavia. Wants to settle the Crimea, but contrary to his brother Siemomysł, he does not support the Szlachta.

Policies:
-Cancel sejmiks
-Train a settler in Kraków and settle 4S 3E of Kijów (the very tip of Crimea)
-Build walls and castles in all cities
-Research Guilds

Siemowit of Dobrzyń
Son of Kazimierz of Kuyavia. Supports the szlachta. Wants to enforce religious tolerance and promote education.

Policies:
-Finish sejmiks
-Build non-Catholic temples and monasteries
-Build library in Kraków
-Research Philosophy and then switch to scholasticism

Leszek the Black
Spoiler :

Son of Kazimierz of Kuyavia. Supports the Szlachta. Wants to reinforce the southern border against possible Arab invasion. Wants to prepare for offensive war with Russia.

Policies:
-Finish the sejmiks
-Build walls in Kraków and Kijów
-Build barracks in cities that don't have them already, then train infantry
-Build stable in Kraków and train knights
-Research Guilds

Bolesław of Masovia
Son of Siemowit of Masovia. Supports the Szlachta. Wants to attack northern Russia as soon as reasonably possible.

Policies:
-Finish sejmiks
-Train two trebuchets in Kraków
-Then declare war on Russia and attack Tver with whatever army is at hand
-Research Guilds

Konrad of Czersk
Son of Siemowit of Masovia. Supports the Szlachta. Like his brother Bolesław, he wants to invade Russia, but would prefer the south.

Policies:
-Finish sejmiks
-Train two trebuchets in Kraków
-Then declare war on Russia and attack Stavropol with whatever army is at hand
-Research Guilds

The first round of the election, due to its complexity, will last until 9PM on Wednesday, unless less than two candidates have at least two votes each. Then we'll have the second round.

My vote goes for Władysław the Elbow-high.

Leszek the Black

Edit: 1,000th post! [party]

Leszek the Black

It seems to me you are in imminent danger there. I wasn't seeing this story until this election, so I may say some not so accurate things there.

But Russia is furious, and you have just negated their demands. Taking into account they double you in cities and seem to have much free space, not much like you, you should be defending yourself. You are Poland after all, and they are Russia. The arabs OTOH may be easier to avoid, as they must be furious with everynody, and seem to overstrech a lot already (guess there is Ottoman spawn in this game too right?).

But to declare war on them, these candidates lost my faith.

I guess that's just what I can say. You should spy on Russia indeed, put some EPs on them.

Top Bottom