Custom Conquest Quick Game 1 - spoiler thread

Theoden

Deity
GOTM Staff
This is the spoiler thread for the Custom Conquest Quick Game 1. To qualify for this spoiler you must have played and submitted your game.

Did you mind a quick game starting in 4000 BC? Which and how many units did you explore with? How much did you develop you civ?

I built 2 warriors and 12 boats, and finished in 2150BC.

(Dates are from autosaves, so they are 1 turn late)

Spoiler Turn Log :

4000BC: Lisbon founded, set research to Ceremonial Burial
4000BC: Goody hut - The Wheel
4000BC: Set research to Writing
3750BC: Goody hut - maps
3650BC: Curragh
3650BC: Goody hut - Ceremonial Burial
3500BC: Goody hut - Settler

3400BC: Curragh
3200BC: Curragh
3200BC: Contact China
3200BC: Trade Alphabet+Pottery+TheWheel+CeremonialBural to China for Masonry+BronzeWorking+WarriorCode+10g
3100BC: Warrior
3000BC: Warrior
2950BC: Trade 5gpt + 13g to China for Worker
2900BC: Writing
2900BC: Goody hut - Warrior
2850BC: Curragh
2850BC: Trade Writing to China for 3gpt + 23g
2750BC: Curragh
2710BC: Contact Babylon
2710BC: Contact Japan
2670BC: Curragh
2630BC: Contact Zululand
2510BC: Philosophy, Map Making
2510BC: Scientific Great Leader

2510BC: Galley
2470BC: Great Lighthouse
2470BC: Golden Age begins
2390BC: Galley
2310BC: Galley
2310BC: Contact Rome
2230BC: Galley x2
2150BC: Galley x2

It was an easy game, and having great luck made it even easier.

I finished 1990BC. I did the same research as DaveMcW, but I didn't get a SGL. I got The Wheel, a skilled warrior and a city by the incense from huts. I built 2 workers, 1 scout, 1 spear, 7 curraghs and 5 galleys. The most difficult in this game was to keep the count of the VP locations.

Thanks to Rik and Theoden for another fun quickgame.

I finished in 2030 BC, so I´m 3 turns late.

The 3rd hut gave me a settler in 3500 BC, who founded Oporto in 3200 BC, by the river mouth. Oporto started prebuilding The Great Lighthouse.
This proved useless, as I had the same luck DaveMcW had with a SGL for Philosophy, in my case in 2430 BC.
The build order for the capital was much like DaveMcW´s: 2 curraghs, Warrior, Curragh, Warrior and more boats (with the wonder rush sometime inbetween).

A minor setback happened in 2310 BC, when Babylon sneaked on me and took Oporto. Well, I leisurely took it back in 2110 BC and Hammurabi even threw Niniveh into the following peace deal. But I guess if Oporto had ever done something to contribute to my exploration I might have been faster.

Another consideration: I might have been better off to focus on growth more. In order to rake in as many early shields as possible I mined the cow right away (which is quite against a civvers nature), and repeated that with the wheat. :confused:

One last thing: Like DaveMcW, I set science to CB first in order to get another tech from the first hut, resetting it to Writing afterwards. I´m not sure if it is common knowledge, but it seems as if one always gets the cheapest tech from huts, which would typically be CB -> Wheel -> WC... depending on what your contacts know. In that case my hopes to pop Writing would have been quite silly. :crazyeye:

Finally thanks to Theoden and Rik for providing a funny and really quick game. :goodjob:

Spoiler Report :

Custom Conquest Quick Game 1
Save by Rik Meleet
Played out by Ginger_Ale

Introduction
Ok - first quick game. Should be a simple build as many curraghs asap, scout with them asap. Strategy? Well, what I just wrote, but also: try to assign curraghs to a side of the map. Rather than have them island hop all across the map, back and forth, back and forth, keep them on one island before going to a new one (hopefully close by). If I leave an island before completing to map it out, I have wasted precious turns.

Starting Position - 4000 BC
Very generous! Move scout inland (start -> cow -> silks). We see a goody hut. Will pop it later for a settler if we are lucky. Worker to cow, settle in place. Start a curragh (8 turns). Start Writing (then to Map Making for galleys if needed) in 36 turns.

Goody hut resulted in a warrior - not too bad. He'll start exploring the coastline.

Aha! Discover first victory location place in 3850 BC, east of Lisbon. Pop a goody hut for 25 gold.

First curragh in 3700 BC. Pop a city, Oporto in 3700 BC. Meet China.

Keep massproducing curraghs.

In 2950 BC, get Writing, start Philo (for MM). Get Philo in 2470 BC, get MM too.

In 1870, I find all the VPs. Could I have improved? Probably - my capital was building TGLighthouse, but since I wasn't sure how long it would take to get all the VPs, it turned out to be a waste. Probably could've improved it by ~5 turns.

Victory Point Count:
3500 BC - 4 (5th in FOW)
3000 BC - 17
2510 BC - 32
2030 BC - 47
1870 BC - 50!

Contacts:
China - 3700 BC
Rome - 2710 BC
Babylon - 2470 BC
Japan - 2330 BC
Zululand - 2150 BC

What could I have done better?
-better luck from huts
-maybe I could've tried island hopping more (Dave's method was very useful it appeared)
-planned it out a bit better

In any case it doesn't look like I was too far behind.

I did enjoy a 4000 BC start.

That was quick and fun. I settled in place, mined cow and went curraghs only. City on maximum production. My scout popped an advenced tribe around 3000 BC luckily on the coast, so this was curraghs as well. I wanted to go writing, philosophy and free map making, but I did not get to philosophy.

Reached the last monument in 2270 BC

Finished in 2030BC. I tried the tactic of exploring far away first, but not as good as Ronald and DaveMcW :).

I got a free settler on the northern tip of the island around 3200BC. Very useful as I could build some boats there. I built 2 scouts and lots of curraghs, even a few settlers :crazyeye:.

Top Bottom