[MOD] Fall from Heaven II

So I was wondering.. How exactly does a unit get the Immortality promotion ? I know the Immortal unit gets it, and I know how to upgrade to one. But what I haven't been able to figure out yet is how another kind of unit can acquire it. But I've seen it happen, so I'm curious. It is after all a fricken powerful thing, so of course I wanna get my hands on it, eh? ;)

Entirely on the side, I'd like to heap my praise on top of the huge pile of similar well-wishing. Awesome mod, awesome. If y'all keep up the good work like you have so far, then I expect I shall be happily busy for a long time to come.

Oh yeah.. Especially as soon as targeted spells start working in multiplayer games. But patience is a virtue. ^_^

Cheers!
/Oskar

Immortality can be gained by three means as far as i remember.
1) the Immortal gains it every turn
2) The Blood of the Phoenix Wonder gives all units you posses when you built it the Immortality Promotion once
3) Losha Valez (Calabim Hero) gains the Immortality Promotion whenever she kills an living enemy.

I love the idea of the "Crusade". However, have some comments/ideas that you may ignore/discard/love/hate.

1. Crusades "generally" apply against "different religions". ie you can only carry out a crusade against people diametrically opposed to you - I guess in game sense, this would apply to religion (after the natural "crusades" were predominantley "Roman Christian" against "Islam" and then against "Orthadox Christian" - true there are others, but generally this held).

2. Maybe a bonus/mods for donating troops to a "crusading" empire - provided they are the same religion as yourself (emulating the nature of crusades in the past where the armies came from many different countries).

3. Carrying out a crusade generally made countries either very much with you, or very much against you. So maybe there should be some sort of modifier relating to this and countries reactions against you. ie similar alignment/category beliefs gain reaction to you, whilst those furthest from you get a negative to you.

Just some thoughts.....

.... also gotta love that Giant... he always causes me headaches, but makes expanding a little more fun than it would be otherwise....

Keep up the great work guys!

Kael,

What are "Fire" and "Shadow" in one of your last post ?

Thx.

The Frog.

Hey :)

LOVE LOVE LOVE FfH2.

I'd slow down the rate of technological advancement though.

the balance is beautiful, who the hell needs vanilla civ4 :)

i tried ffh2 let me say the ai is much harder even at a easier setting.. i chose ashen vail religion and 2 of the 4 civs hated me afterwards and waged war calling me evil blah blah ..i was banner soemthing and they were i forgot which civs

I don't see the Sidar as a choice. Am I missing something? BTW...awesome MOD.

From the first time I started it I was greeted with this interesting music theme that got me hooked right off.

Certainly talent is behind this mod that promises to be great one day.
Too bad I don't have yet enough time to play it.
But sure will do so when I can.

samari_tycoon said:
Wow, I have been at this site as a lurker for 4 months, but I just had to sign up and Congratulate the makers of this mod. It has to be one of the most ingenuitive mods I have ever seen. Each civ has diferent strenghs, weaknesses, unique units and/or traits that make for a differnt play experiances with each civ.

Also I have some questions that I would like answering...

Is this mod based off a book or game? I've seen some posts that seem to point to that it is?

You seem to have replied to all questions regarding the cult of the dragon with answers that talk about cults in general. This would seem to point to the conclution that their will be more cult religions. Is this true, and if so could you tell us some of them?

Also if this entire fantisy mod is of your own design and your not trying to recreate the world of a book could I make a sugestion of a civ I'd like to see placed into the game?
If its not too much hastle for you... I'd promise to keep the idea clear and concise with play stratagy, leader traits, faction song, and unique units in full detail.

"Cults" exist as a mechanic (a religion that the player has little control over and can not be a state religion) so it is possible that we would add more but we don't have any plans to do so. I don't really like copying mechanics and try to fit in as many unique concepts as possible so if we did so it would have to be for a great reason.

In all honesty the cult mechanic came from the Cult of the Dragon, we didnt develop the mechanic and then make up the religion to fit it. Corlindale pitched it almost in its final form all in one quick post. Everyone on the team who read the post knew the idea was gold and it got checked into the mod fast.

This actually breaks another of my general rules, I don't usually design from flavor. Meaning that we should have a design need for an object before we create and detail that object. Although we did have a design need that the Cult ended up fulfilling (the Kuriotates needed some uniqueness) in this case we had the concept first and then the use.

The danger of designing from flavor is that you fall in love with concepts that dont make the game better. These big very flavorful ideas that you love to imagine and design, but just aren't fun in action. And at the end of the day its all about the fun.

That leads me to your second question. The game is based a few D&D campaigns I ran over many many years. The Armageddon spells, spell spheres, leaders and heroes were all big parts of the D&D game.

I wouldn't design a mod based on book/movies/etc. To do so almost always means that you are designing from flavor. Nothing against all the folks that do, I know its a time honored tradition of modding, I just think it makes your job as a modmaker a lot harder. So even though I love the FfH world Im more than open to making any changes that makes the mod better. There was no Cult of the Dragon in FfH, the was no Octopus Overlords. Those are both concepts designed for the mod, and I think they make it better. If we were using a known source we wouldn't have the ability to do things like that.

As for your civ idea, jump over into the FfH forum (link in the first thread) and post the idea in the civilization thread and we will check it out. We dont have any plans to add any new civs (we have a lot of work to do just detailing the ones that we already have) but we love seeing new ideas even if we tear them down and use them in another way.

Noticed that conquer's and demon summoners no long have fire spells, that was great warring off the enemy from a distant.
Also i checked "No City Razing" and it was the complete opposite , all the enemy and my units did were raze the cities???

Oldfrt said:
I love the idea of the "Crusade". However, have some comments/ideas that you may ignore/discard/love/hate.

1. Crusades "generally" apply against "different religions". ie you can only carry out a crusade against people diametrically opposed to you - I guess in game sense, this would apply to religion (after the natural "crusades" were predominantley "Roman Christian" against "Islam" and then against "Orthadox Christian" - true there are others, but generally this held).

Yeah, we thought about that and decided that we didnt want to force a religion to have a crusade so we could leave it open to the most use. If we made it against opposed religions then the Bannor would be limited to what religions they could use to use the crusade and to which enemys they could use it against. As a mechanic is better to leave it open, even if the flavor is better with it restricted.

Whose to say the Bannor be following the Order and demand a crusade against another Order country. Religious wars between the same religion or different sects fo the same religion happen all the time in our world.

2. Maybe a bonus/mods for donating troops to a "crusading" empire - provided they are the same religion as yourself (emulating the nature of crusades in the past where the armies came from many different countries).

Its an interesting idea. We may try to incorporate this in the mercenary concept. One of the things we are hoping TheLopez is able to work out is the gifting of free mercenary units to a civ of your choice. If its done maybe we can get the ai to be more likely to do that for you if you are the same religion and you are in a crusade like you suggest.

3. Carrying out a crusade generally made countries either very much with you, or very much against you. So maybe there should be some sort of modifier relating to this and countries reactions against you. ie similar alignment/category beliefs gain reaction to you, whilst those furthest from you get a negative to you.

Loki recommended this too. We will see how playtesting goes. I suspect that the inability to ask for peace will already polarize you against most of the world (you had better make sure your friends are friends before you start) but if it doesn't work out like that we may apply modifiers like you suggest.

Hian the Frog said:
Kael,

What are "Fire" and "Shadow" in one of your last post ?

Thx.

The Frog.

"Fire" is the next phase of FfH2. "Shadow" is the one after that. "Ice" is the last phase of FfH2. When we origionally built the design docs for FfH2 we broke the features into 4 main parts because it was so large and contained so many technical challenges that it would be impossible to handle at one. "Light" is the first of those 4 phases and the one we just opened up for playtesting. There is a lot more to come.

It is all covered here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=161468

Chucko said:
I don't see the Sidar as a choice. Am I missing something? BTW...awesome MOD.

The sidar arent due to be checked in until "Shadow". Until then they are only a AI playable civ.

strategyonly said:
Noticed that conquer's and demon summoners no long have fire spells, that was great warring off the enemy from a distant.
Also i checked "No City Razing" and it was the complete opposite , all the enemy and my units did were raze the cities???

You cna choose what spells you want you conjurers and demon summoners to learn. If you want to have them learn fire spells you can get fireball and meteor swarm as before, if you have your summoner learn entropy he will be able to summon demons as he used to.

I'll check out the No City Razing option.

I finally decided I would give Fall from Heaven II a try, since I've been avoiding it since its release. I thought that if I started it, I wouldn't concentrate on my final exams or my other CIV projects.

I was right. I came home and before 2 AM I thought I'de give it a try "for a little bit" just to see how it was. And just now at almost 6 AM, 4 hours later, did I save and shut it off. It's damn addicting!

I found a few bugs/errors that you may not be aware of. Perhaps someone posted them already, perhaps not. Either way:

1) Calendar allows for 2 plantations (tooltip says that you build a plantation 2 times):

2) Maybe I missed something, but why is there a Barbarian Lion in my enemy's city defending it for him?

3) As you can see in the same picture, my vampire has the "diseased" promotion. Is this intended? I believe it should be fixed. Vampires cause disease on other units, they shouldn't then get diseased back for attacking those units. The diseased vampire then makes my whole stack diseased as well.

4) Python error regarding flames ... they pop up 5 at a time:

But, this mod is a large improvement over the original FfH, you guys did a splendid job. I especially like the new spell system :)

All of your other projects are in trouble now Shqype! :D

I can only try to answer 1 question, #2. It looks like your enemy is the Doveillo, who basically are friendly with the barbarians. I've never seen an animal in one of their cities, but I guess they can wander around inside their borders. Odd since they never have when I play the Doveillo...

I can answer #1 :)

Woodelf is to blame for this one. The reason is that the elves can built different Plantations than the other races (they do not need to cut down forests - they actaully cannot). The game lists both abilities although you can do only one of them. Maybe Kael should rename one of them Elven Plantation. It is the same for other improvements as well.

Shqype said:
I finally decided I would give Fall from Heaven II a try, since I've been avoiding it since its release. I thought that if I started it, I wouldn't concentrate on my final exams or my other CIV projects.

I was right. I came home and before 2 AM I thought I'de give it a try "for a little bit" just to see how it was. And just now at almost 6 AM, 4 hours later, did I save and shut it off. It's damn addicting!

I found a few bugs/errors that you may not be aware of. Perhaps someone posted them already, perhaps not. Either way:

1) Calendar allows for 2 plantations (tooltip says that you build a plantation 2 times):

2) Maybe I missed something, but why is there a Barbarian Lion in my enemy's city defending it for him?

3) As you can see in the same picture, my vampire has the "diseased" promotion. Is this intended? I believe it should be fixed. Vampires cause disease on other units, they shouldn't then get diseased back for attacking those units. The diseased vampire then makes my whole stack diseased as well.

4) Python error regarding flames ... they pop up 5 at a time:

But, this mod is a large improvement over the original FfH, you guys did a splendid job. I especially like the new spell system :)

Vampires can be diseased, they are living (although immortal creatures if they can keep feeding) in FfH.

Your right about the error in Ring of Flames. I will fix it in the next version.

Top Bottom