A better Map Generator than Atlas v0.43?

egaonogenki

Warlord
Hello, I used Atlas v0.43 but it is clearly antiquated by now. If you've used it, you'd understand why. Also, "junuxx", the author, has been AWOL since March 25th of this year.

Is there a better map generator? Can you please link it?

The lack of replies should have clued you in to the answer. ;) In other words, I don't think there is. There are some map scripts, but no stand alone generator.

WHAT?? I'm sorry, but there are millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) of Civ4 players and many users in that bunch know how to program a good map generator. If there wasn't a better map generator than Junuxx's current, this wouldn't be a popular game in the first place now, would it?

I just assumed that either some users were too lazy to tell me, or the users who knew weren't around when I made this thread.

Sorry, G, I'm just not in the right mood right now, mostly because of other things in life ATM.

PS: I wasn't lazy if you're wondering; I already looked through the site and on Google for a better map generator. When I looked into the other map generator, "MapView 0.2.3.1072", IIRC, the creator said he forgot to put in goody huts (tribal villages) and hasn't gotten around to updating his program yet.

I wasn't about to use MapView because goody huts are critical to my games. I use them to jump start my new civilizations with the technologies they give me.

I quick-save before I move the unit on a hut. If the hut doesn't give me a technology at first, I reload the game, move the unit around it, and have it try the hut again next turn, and keep trying until they give me a new tech.

Without these huts, I would not be able to race past the Middle Ages by 1000 BC (yes, Before Christ) and give my civilization railroads by 1000 AD. I plan to put a man in space by 1492 (or 1500, because it's a nice, round year) and if I started a civ without any huts, that wouldn't be possible.

WHAT?? I'm sorry, but there are millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) of Civ4 players and many users in that bunch know how to program a good map generator. If there wasn't a better map generator than Junuxx's current, this wouldn't be a popular game in the first place now, would it?

Well, I suppose most people are satisfied with the map scripts, so the demand for stand alone map generators is limited.

I like the Fractal script provided by Firaxis for its versatility. SmartMap and LandMasses are also pretty good and offer more detailed settings. Didn't try Tectonics yet.

Why do you want a map generator instead?

I don't know how to program code so well so I don't think I'd work with scripts too well. Besides, based on what you're telling me, apparently these scripts will make pre-set types of land and sea, and they do nothing about the tribal villages.

I'll try SmartMap and LandMasses sometime whenever I get back home. (I'm out of town for a few days.) Hopefully they'll be more useful than Junuxx's current Generator.

I don't know how to program code so well so I don't think I'd work with scripts too well. Besides, based on what you're telling me, apparently these scripts will make pre-set types of land and sea, and they do nothing about the tribal villages.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "pre-set types of land". While you can influence the general make up of the generated maps (e.g. 70% water, less desert, more mountainous ...), they are very much random. And tribal villages are usually included.

Maybe the confusion here stems from differences in our terminology? To (hopefully) clear things up:

map scripts - generate random maps from within the game
map generators - generate random maps from outside the game
map editors - are used to manually create maps

So what are you trying to do? :)

I'll try SmartMap and LandMasses sometime whenever I get back home. (I'm out of town for a few days.) Hopefully they'll be more useful than Junuxx's current Generator.

Let me know if they were what you're looking for. :)

I saw that Junuxx is back. His last activity was September 5th of this year.

So do we have a better map generator NOW? Junuxx, if you get this, what's the latest version as of when you respond?

(Sorry for the necro, but not only was I a professional necromancer in Diablo II, I STILL haven't let go of the need for a better map generator. Again, my apologies.)

Top Bottom