End of Empires - N3S III

I guarantee the rest of Lyne's history if that NES shows any credible sign of life.

I don't really get why you would do this work on a long-dead nes?

Yeah...I agree, Nahari should die. This is not dead, simply not active, waiting for the fabled return of the sarcasm bunny.:)

He plans to return?

He plans to return?

Well, yes? Wouldn't be the first time, so I'm not sure if I understand the sarcastic incredulity.

That would be his usertitle.

There was none in my post. People come and go from NESing.. its pretty rare an old project has held interest (in the mod) for it to be revived. Great if you do! Because the players are always willing to wait.

If this is starting up again, I'm going to invest some time in creating a feasible culture (if that's not too much trouble), rather than the pseudo-feudal nonsense I was apparently-vehemently into not so long ago. :hammer2:

NK would we be able to resend our BT orders? Looking over mine, there's a good number of tweaks that could be made. :)

They'd better be important tweaks, cause it's not as though I haven't written any of the update.

Frelesti/Frelestican Empire/Frelestican City-States
Starting Location
Spoiler :

(The burgundy in the far north, near my original starting location. I don't really have a color preference, but I do kind of like that for the Frelesti.)

Society: Trading city-states ruled by monarchical power figures who are supported by a merchant caste, tribal superstition, and a lack of opposition. The various city-states all hold claim to their own royal family or house, though they are united in government as of current under the House Aulfrelesti, whose head is Emperor of All Frelesti.

For the most part, life is peaceful. Every once and a while a particularly ambitious or foolhardy leader comes to the throne of one of the city-states and there is an invariably bloody and long war which invariably gets no one anywhere. For the greater part, the only people who live within the actual city are the royalty and the merchants, who are often related either by blood in some manner or have such a vested interest in each other as to make that relationship essentially applicable. Therein, most are literate in spoken and written language, and live comfortable lives from the benefits of the labors of the peoples living outside the walls of the city. These people are sad and miserable on the whole, eking out a basic living on wheat or fish and coming into the city only to peddle their wares to merchants, who are eager to send these onto boats that ferry it across the land. The majority of these profits are never seen by anyone other than the merchant and his associates.

As for the merchants and the royalty, they rarely if ever need to leave the comfort of their homes, which may contribute to some extent to the occasional warmongering and incompetent Emperor rising to power and proceeding to exercise wars that are either futile or doomed to leave them defeated. Regardless, some semblance of give and take exists between the merchants and the royalty and the farmers and fishers and warm bodies for warfare, although it is clear who has the larger end of the stick.

The land the city-states lay claim to is not always significant, however, most civilization gravitates its way towards these proverbial lights of society. Not all of the peoples living outside the gates are indeed Frelesti, but considering how much interaction the royalty and merchants have with their less-fortunate neighbors, no one would notice. They are a source of useful labor in peacetime, and a source of useful soldiers at war.

Lineage:
In the cities, there is an order of these things. Outside, there most certainly is not. Thanks to the particular ordering of Frelestican politics, the royals and the merchants and all the city-dwellers in general are very aware of their ancestry and their stature. Detailed family records are kept, with the maintenance of titles and attention to the most minute of the details of the lives of the departed.

Knowledge of one's ancestors is considered important to a member of city society, where one's clout or lack thereof in that place's politics is determined by those who came before. Outside of the cities, if you know for any certainty who your parents are and they know who their parents are (or considering the mortality rate, were) you're doing quite well, really.

Values: The Frelesti value honor. Or something like honor. Truly, they are an honorable people. Or at least, those who live in the cities are honorable – But are they not the only true Frelesti? Honor is determined by birth – If your ancestors were honorable, they were somehow related to the reigning House of your city-state, or were wealthy and wise enough to manage to get into the cities. If your ancestors weren't honorable, they lived outside of the cities. And thanks to the particular order of Frelestican society, in all likelihood you live in the same place and in the same way your ancestors did.

It is thought that not only is this order just and civilized, but it is inherently natural. To think otherwise would be madness! All travelers and merchants know too well of the barbaric and disgusting ways of those who live outside the cities, not only in the Frelestican lands but all the world. Therefore, those who have maintained their lives in the cities must be the most civilized, the most learned, the most just, the most wise, the most honorable.

As for those among the city-dwellers whose honor is dubious; no one is perfect.

Religion: Religion is a complicated subject among the Frelesti. There is a “religion” of sorts which has essentially determined the course of Frelestican society, but it has fallen out of favor in a manner, and even among the city-dwellers it is used as little more than a source from which to draw “morality”. The people who live outside the cities, and even a significant part of those who live within them, are Maninists. Some merchants are even devout followers, having picked up the religion in their travels. Others are perhaps more outlandish, claiming to religions which the Frelesticans consider not only odd, but weird.

Supposedly, the royals of the Houses are the descendants of the faithful of Freleglos, the “Old God” of the “Old Religion”. “He” can only really be described as the sun.

Language: There is one language, spoken in various dialects and with various affected accents, among the Frelesti. Frelestican. It is important to understand that this language is heavily influenced by the “Old Religion” as is much of Frelestican society. The actual term for the Frelesti is “Of Freleglos” or for intents and purposes, Of the Sun, or People of the Sun.

It is for the most part simple in context; while pronunciation of various words vary, and among the city-dwellers who have some semblance of written language and understanding of that language, their spelling and grammar may vary, but it is not particularly varied or “abnormal” or “remarkable” in nature. It is simple to grasp in essence, and serves its purpose. Of course, the Frelesti claim it is a beautiful language, but very few have ever actually endeavored to use it for more artful purposes, as most people out of the cities don't know that there is an alphabet (containing thirty or symbols representative of various sounds or their combinations).

Mythos: Supposedly, long ago, there was no moon. The sun, great Freleglos, shone eternally and always, and there was no hunger or famine or sadness or work. Things continued in this manner for quite a time, but apparently someone decided it was getting somewhat boring. At some indeterminate point, the moon appeared. There was confusion, naturally. Fear, even.

Many heretics supposed that the appearance of the moon was the creation of a new god, and that the people of the world should abandon their worship of Freleglos. Those who were true to the faith thought that was rather rude of them, and so there was a war. Lots of wars, actually.

Somehow, someway, Freleglos was wounded. Perhaps he was weakened by the contention of his children upon the world, perhaps as it was later maintained that the heretics had literally torn out the Sun's very heart and sought to destroy it in favor of the moon, whatever the case, one day the moon eclipsed Freleglos, and the eclipse lasted for a great time, longer than any had before, and the heretics claimed that this was a sign of the moon's dominance.

And so the world was separated. The faithful, and the heretics. Freleglos continues, saddened, disappointed, but still and staid. Ever so occasionally there is night during the day, and it is a reminder to all the faithful that they had failed their god. The faithful, it is thought, are constituted of the Frelesti.

After these events, those who remained faithful were thought to have made a great journey to the land where the Frelesti now live. Though they would have been united, the influence of the heathen moon sought to find what evil lay in their hearts and was to seek them to have war. Leaders arose, the city-states came into being, and the order of the world was made clear.

Someday it is thought that Freleglos will again grow in power, and he will make his will clear to all faithful, and they shall fight a great crusade against the heretics, and them being defeated the Sun shall again shine eternally.

Economic Base: The city-states are reliant on the agricultural of their pastoral and rural environs, as well as the fishing and sailing of those areas. These goods their merchants ship far and wide, for their wealth and the wealth of their ruling house.

Nation Names:
Aulfrelesti, Nufrelesti, Wedrfrelesti, Orfrelesti, Sudfrelesti

Person Names:

Lodrayl, Forne'yn, Grelieth, Uelfrel, Sryn'ital, M'jilen, Llynttel

Place Names:
The river delta upon which most of Frelestican civilization is based is called the Nouvrake. It flows into the Nouvelin and into the hinterlands and moors south, which are simply the Moors. The coastline in the west is thought to border on the Island Sea, so named for the island which sits off the coast several miles out. The coastline in the north, where most cities are based, is simply the North Sea, although sometimes it is referred to as the Sea of Void or the Sea of Nothingness, those lands to the north beyond it being unknown, uncharted, and presumably dangerous.

Hopefully this is more time-period appropriate. Are some kind of BT guidelines necessary/advisable?

EDIT: Minor edit made to clarify mythos, also avoid the astronomy fail implied by poor wording.

They'd better be important tweaks, cause it's not as though I haven't written any of the update.

It'd be mainly changes in my military strategy to cover up some rather large flaws, but it's not that important. So I guess I'll pass on resending then.:)

Top Bottom