Quick Questions and Answers

Maybe it's supposed to, but advanced settings don't save. Bug never has been fixed (but hey, multiplayer animations are coming! trololol).
I don't think that other option does anything ;(

Yep. The other option under discussion turns on quick combat for civ 4. Gotta love all the leftover and unused tags. And Civ 5 was supposed to be so "all new."

I've just been going trough all the civs UAs, UUs and UBs, and have a pile of questions about them:

Denmark - Does Berserkers keep the 3 movement when upgrade to Ski Infantry, and how much movement do they have left after disembarking considering that embarked units will often have more MP then the unit being carried. Does a (for example) Berserker unit with 2/6 MP left (assuming a second bonus of some kind to make the examples easier) on the last tile before landing have 2 MP when they land (their maximum minus the 1 used to land), 1 (the remaining embarked movement minus the one used to land) or 0 (2/6 is one third, one third of their maximum movement of 3 is 1, that final MP is used while landing)?

Korea - How big is the tech boost from building science buildings/wonders? Does it apply to national wonders as well as world wonders?

Mongolia - Does their generals and Keshik have 5 or 6 movement points? It says 5, but since it's a UU, I'm not sure if that includes the UA since that will always be applied anyway, or if it is added on top.

Polynesia - I originally read the UA as meaning that they could embark and then start moving on the same turn, kinda like Denmarks bonus in reverse, but upon re-reading I guess it works the same as for everyone else except they don't need any tech in order to embark or to enter ocean tiles?

Siam - Does the Wat provide the science bonus is jungle like a University?

Spain - Does the UUs retain any of their special bonuses when upgraded, aka the ability to settle, defensive embarkation and the extra LOS for the Conquistador and the bonus VS mounted for the Tercio?

Aztec - Does the Floating Gardens work only with lakes like the description technically says, or also on the coast?

I'm not sure about them all, I'll just pick a few I'm fairly comfortable about:

Korea: Science boost is like an RA completing. It applies to scientific buildings in the capital. No relationship with natural wonders.
Polynesia: Disembarkation ends the movement, just like for anybody else, as you already guessed. Interesting with Polynesia is to look for ruins on remote islands with units like archers and chariots. If they find weapons you can have a very early longbow or knight. Any civ can luck out like this, but with Polynesia's ability the chance is just much bigger.
Siam: Yes, the Wat gives all the benefits from a university.
Aztec floating gardens: Just lakes, not salt water. And it doesn't stack with a lighthouse, like you would expect. Well, you would expect that once you know a lighthouse gives a food bonus to all water tiles, salt or sweet. But so that doesn't work if the lake is already boosted by floating gardens.
The 15% more food applies to the gross food, not the net, so that's strong.

You get to see this when you click on a puppet. It tells you your unhappiness will rise if you annex that puppet, but it doesn't tell you by how much. THIS has always causes many problems for me and I just assumed that maybe it's like 5 extra unhappiness or maybe around pop/2, but I don't really know. IT should clearly say: annexing this city will increase unhappiness by X (similar to how it does when you capture a city (on mouseover)). BUT mouseover on the buttons will not show anything in this screen!

So does anyone know how much unhappiness it will cause (what formula/rule is behind it?) so I can at least plan better until they fix/improve this?

edit: even when you do annex it it will only show this:

It nowhere says how much additional unhappiness is caused. In this cause my happiness decreased by -4. But I won't have remembered that ~10 turns later when I maybe have to decide which city to rush-buy a courthouse in or when I want to sell a city and don't know which as I don't know which causes most unhappiness -.-

Also: It says it an annexed/non-puppet city decreases the acquisition rate of new policies (yes, I know about that) and great people. How even I look at the GP progress in one of my city before I annexed a puppet and nothing changed. All numbers still were the same (like 69/200 at a rate of +3 per turn). Is this maybe a leftover from a previous version where the great people rate actually decreased if you had more cities (I think at 1.0.0.0 it would instead have gone to 69/300 then)? Or in what way does annexing a puppet slow down my GP generation?

@FeiLing: I can't answer all your questions right now, but as for the "more cities = slower policies" one...

Building/annexing cities adds to the amount of culture you need for a new policy. Adopting those policies that decrease the culture needed does so. The amount of culture gained each turn is a constant value that comes from the improvements you build. The amount of culture needed for further policies increases as you adopt policies and build or conquer cities.

I'm not sure about them all, I'll just pick a few I'm fairly comfortable about:

Korea: Science boost is like an RA completing. It applies to scientific buildings in the capital. No relationship with natural wonders.
Polynesia: Disembarkation ends the movement, just like for anybody else, as you already guessed. Interesting with Polynesia is to look for ruins on remote islands with units like archers and chariots. If they find weapons you can have a very early longbow or knight. Any civ can luck out like this, but with Polynesia's ability the chance is just much bigger.
Siam: Yes, the Wat gives all the benefits from a university.
Aztec floating gardens: Just lakes, not salt water. And it doesn't stack with a lighthouse, like you would expect. Well, you would expect that once you know a lighthouse gives a food bonus to all water tiles, salt or sweet. But so that doesn't work if the lake is already boosted by floating gardens.
The 15% more food applies to the gross food, not the net, so that's strong.
Allright, thanks :)

How do city-states decide whether they'll raze or puppet (I never see them annexing so I'm assuming they can't do that, same with liberate) a city?
I thought they only puppeted cities they can't raze, but I saw them puppet a normal city in my current game.

'MODS' is a button on the main menu. It brings up a list of all installed mods. Just tick the boxes of the mods you want to be active. Then you go back to the main menu and can start a single player game. Mods are not (yet?) possible in multiplayer.

I have done this, but the mods are not active in any new game I set-up.
Also, the scenarios do not show up (US vs The World; WWII Full Edition).

To be clear the mods are downloaded, installed, and ticked-on.

Don't go back to the main menu to start the game after you have selected the mods. Just get out of that screen and you should see Single Game or a similar choice.

From the Main Menu, it is Mods, then Single Player to start the game. But, you can't use the mods if you don't go through the Mods panel of Main Menu and start the game without returning to the Main Menu.

I hope that helps you.

Yes, Aristocracy works for National Wonders, which makes it useful for an early National College, for example.

I can't say for sure about the others, but I don't see a reason why they wouldn't.

I love to name my military units after big battles or promotions. However, their name is difficult to find when searching the map. The biggest challenge comes when a named unit is killed in battle; I don't see an indication of which specific unit was lost. I've taken to writing down my named units on paper to track them. Is there a better way?

Not that I know of. If you want to know what unit got killed, make sure you know which one was on that tile.

Tell me guys has the AgS resource panel been added to the game? I have the mod checked but it is not showing up on the save file screen under the mods tab, which show what mods are being applied to the selected game. Just curious thanks.

Top Bottom