PerfNES I: Ultima Ratio Regum

The Duke of Swabia and Protector of the Alpines, checking in.

Republic of Guangzhou

8. Pi/Holding Together [union]
The Image

On the earth is water;
The image of Holding Together.
Those the kings of antiquity
Bestowed the different states as fiefs
And cultivated friendly relations
With the feudal lords.

Available Nations
Muwahhidun, Thuringia, Lusatia, Polabia, Banu Ghaniya, Volynia, Friland, Polotsk, Kiev, Tver, Yaroslav, Makuria, Ethiopia, Mecca, Zabid, Oman, Bengal, Orissa, Bijapur, Jaffna, Jurchen

Republic of Guangzhou said:
Nation Background: After the loss of the north and the subsequent change of dynasty in the south, the Nanhai emperors lavishly patronized and encouraged Chinese trade with the south. By the mid fourteenth century, huge amounts of wealth had accrued to the merchants of the south..... In the decades since, the Society has resisted every Nanhai attempt at reconquest, while its membership have become fabulously wealthy off their now near total domination of the southeast Asian trade routes.

How does trade work as a revenue source? Do your game mechanics encourage trade treaties between players and or NPCs as a way to increase revenue? is trade between the various Chinese natioons assumed or do we need to create it?

Do I have contact with Indian nations because of my trade?

Revenue – Expenses (Treasury/Debt): 7,520,500 – 6,520,500 (4,000,000/0)
Am I correct when I think I have 1MM in revenue and 4MM in treasury cash for a total of 5MM of potential spending?

To: England

Ygo fan Brussel, son of Gerrit, Prince and Defender of the Frisian People, greets his dear friend Leofric, son of Offa, heir of Charlemagne, Emperor of England and King of Brittany. May our friendship and allegiance continue to bring us prosperity and longevity. May our pact remain unsundered.

Am I correct when I think I have 1MM in revenue and 4MM in treasury cash for a total of 5MM of potential spending?

I'm slightly confused by that myself.

Revenue – Expenses (Treasury/Debt): 2,275,000 – 2,025,000 (600,000/0)

Does this mean I have roughly two million revenue, minus roughly two million (taris) worth of expenses, a treasury of some 600k and no debt of notable worth?

(And does banked revenue go directly to the treasury/towards expenses or can you specify? Or can revenue be banked at all?)

Roma locuta est.

Is there a bureaucracy, and if so what is it's nature and how widespread and effective is it?
There is. It's relatively dense and effective in Transoxiana; oversees the recipients of iqta grants, administers a lot of the cities, that sort of thing. On the steppe it's mostly daruyacis.
Is there a Kurltai of the tribes/ethnic group?
No.
What is going on in Afghanistan?
It's controlled by the Persians, and is mostly Dhahabi. Kabul's the center of Persian government in the region. Could you be a bit more specific, if there's something you particularly want to know?
And what is the status of the Khante of Samara and Kazan at this point?
The khan's appointed by the Grand Prince, though he's always from the old ruling family. He's closely overseen by Russian officials, but most of the lower administration is still done by Tatars. It's basically similar to the old relationship between the Horde and the Russians, but less relaxed and with the Russians on top.

How does trade work as a revenue source?
In most cases trade doesn't directly contribute anything to your revenue, but whatever customs duties you impose on that trade do go to your revenue.
Do your game mechanics encourage trade treaties between players and or NPCs as a way to increase revenue?
No. Cutting customs duties will reduce revenue; free trade agreements would cause revenue to plummet.
is trade between the various Chinese natioons assumed or do we need to create it?
It exists, of course. I suppose you could try to increase it.

Birdjaguar said:
Yes. Kind of, anyway. You know they exist, certainly, but you don't really have anything to talk with them about.

Birdjaguar said:

Does this mean I have roughly two million revenue, minus roughly two million (taris) worth of expenses, a treasury of some 600k and no debt of notable worth?
Yes to both of you.

Lord of Elves said:
(And does banked revenue go directly to the treasury/towards expenses or can you specify? Or can revenue be banked at all?)
Unless you specify otherwise, revenue will be used to pay expenses and anything left over when expenses are fully met will be placed in the treasury.

Birdjaguar said:

Doubtful.

I have a small question. It says that I have a mostly Confucian Population with a growing number of Buddhists.
Is there anything specifically causing this increase in the number?

Masada, I am working on your PM, but I hadn't thought about some of those things, so it's taking a little bit. Sorry :(

ParkCungHee said:
I have a small question. It says that I have a mostly Confucian Population with a growing number of Buddhists.
Is there anything specifically causing this increase in the number?
Partially a result of the high self-confidence of East Asian Buddhism in general, partially due to Mongolian diplomats and merchants spreading the ideas around a bit.

Karalysia said:
I need faction list discription before I do any diplo.
Yes, right, more factions.

Qarachi begs: Council of the most senior tribal leaders from the various Tatar tribes. Act as an advisory body and communicate the wishes of the tribes to the khan. A lot of their constitutional role has been removed, but they still have lots of influence with the tribes, and offending them greatly isn't a terrific idea.
Khanate of Crimea: The subordinate khanate in the far west. Submitted to Tokhta earlier and easier than most, and consequently has a uniquely sweet deal. Has a fair bit of domestic autonomy, and tends to coordinate the Horde's contacts with Europeans. Presently having problems with Volynian Tatars raiding Crimean territory, and would like authorization to deal with them.
Beglerbeglik of Transoxiana: Viceroy of Transoxiana; exercises the khan's prerogatives when the khan's away in the steppe or elsewhere. Presently not hugely important, since the khan's been in Samarkand for so long. Has a bit of a rivalry with his counterpart on the steppe, tends to advocate paying attention to Persia instead of the Russians, but isn't generally in favor of expansion at the moment.
Beglerbeglik of Dasht-i Kimek: Viceroy of the steppe; coordinates the tribes, keeps the peace, oversees the daruyaci. More prestigious than his counterpart in Transoxiana, and would like it to stay that way. Doesn't like the Crimeans; would support taking away their special status. In favor of incorporating Samara by any means necessary.
Merchantry: The merchantry, strongest in Samarkand and the Central Asian cities. Likes that the Horde has reopened the trade routes across the steppe, and consequently tends to be fairly strongly in favor of the khan. Doesn't like being taxed, obviously, and doesn't like anything that would compromise the integrity trade routes.

Gaborite synod: The council of Gaborite bishops. Support the expansion of the Gaborite movement, and particularly think Bohemia is ripe for conversion. Oppose any sort of concession to Papism or Orthodoxy, and would consider any reduction of their role in the state to be such a concession.
Catholics: The oppressed Roman Catholic minority, most numerous in the west, along the Italian border. Generally hated and regarded as a fifth column by Gaborites; in all fairness, they do tend to wish the Italians would come send the heretics straight to hell. Oppose pretty much any Gaborite-based initiative on general principle, wish the oppression would stop.
Hungarian nobility: The noble classes, most influential in the east. Don't like katonak domination of military affairs, tend to be less thoroughly Gaborite than most.
Katonak: Basically a Hungarian adaptation of pronoiars; usufruct on confiscated Catholic and Orthodox property was parceled out to the supporters of the Gaborite army after the conquest. Not hereditary, and mostly fairly small-scale grants. Tend to be fanatically Gaborite, and provide most of the army and administration. Would prefer to fight the Romans over the Italians, and have been pushing for another go at Transylvania in particular.
Pannonian cities: The urban populations; Buda, Estzergom, and Szombathely are the most important. Tend to somewhat resent katonak influence in the administration, and are somewhat less militant than the rest of the population. Would prefer not to fight the Romans, if it could be avoided.

Ost Danskere: The East Danes; the descendants of the crusaders who settled in the Baltic centuries ago. Monastic, and tend to be better educated than the natives. Also form a large proportion of the merchantry, and have fairly strong ties with Denmark; consequently comprise a lot of the administration. Support alliance with Denmark, continued Christianisation, don't really care that much about the split.
Hurzurai: The council of the highest nobles of the state; almost equivalent to the Russian boyar councils, and likewise are not just an advisory council. Are relatively weak at the moment, since most of the standing hurzurai and their potential replacements followed Algirdas. Don't like following Danish suggestions.
Nobility: The lesser nobility who provide most of the army. Are fairly pro-pagan, still. Don't like being forced to follow Christian ways, don't like the Order, don't like the prominence of the East Danes. Most of them would be quite happy to go back to paganism, and there's increasing sentiment that if that's what it takes to end the split, then it should be done.
Pagans: The priesthood of the underground pagan cult, strongest the furthest from the Baltic. Anti-Christian, of course, staunchly opposed to the Danish alliance, and very pro-Algirdas.
Merchantry: The merchants. Jealous of League domination of the Baltic, more Christian than most of the general population. Tend to be more in favour of the Danish alliance, as well.

Oh look they're all brown.

What exactly is faction confidence? Is it confidence in the national leader? or their own faction to exert themselves?

It's their confidence in the national leader is what Perf told me.

edit: I really like the NPC sub-factions and their cautious and independent mindsets. They're difficult to manage in unstable nations, like real countries are.
editedit: you forgot my monastics Perfectionist :)

Thnx for putting this up, it really helped me make up my mind on a range of issues.

Are we responsible for naming our leaders/tracing succession/etc?

I looked through the rules, and didn't seem to see anything regarding it, but I probably missed something either in the OP or in the pre-thread.

Are we responsible for naming our leaders/tracing succession/etc?

I looked through the rules, and didn't seem to see anything regarding it, but I probably missed something either in the OP or in the pre-thread.

Naming your leaders, you can do, I believe Perfectionist decided that he's going to keep track of how many heirs exist and then you can name them.

...Oh, fine, I'm going to ask for Delhi faction info too. :p Unless it was already posted and I missed it, in which case sorry.

Top Bottom