The Scottish Sagas (Viking RFC)

Wow, that's pretty much the middle of Canada. I could try and get a city there, though I'm up to the 20th century now so it won't be for a while.

Great story, one of the great RFC stories I have read. :)

Yeah, I got no complaints over bumps on my threads :)

I'm going away for a few days tho so no immediate updates...

Ok a long wait I know, but... here it is!

Central Europe in the early 18th century was a dangerous place to be. The grand Scottish armies had fragmented into disparate raiding parties, sacking even the poorest mines and workshops for plunder. As they moved eastwards their French allies followed their trails of destruction, after extensive negotiation the Scottish Republic had promised them all of Europe south of the Baltic coastline. The first French conquest came in 1724, when the decaying city state of Berlin was ignobly captured by French reservists.

Though power in the Republic was now heavily concentrated in the capital Iona, and nominally in the hands of the people’s representatives, there remained a few old monarchical families wielding considerable power. In the old Nordic kingdom of Lulea the children of the last king Haroldson built a great palatial tomb to hold his royal corpse. Using designs unheard of in the western world at that time, they named the imposing structure the Taj Mahal, and its completion called out to the hearts of all the remaining die-hard monarchists and imperialists in the new Republic. Coupled with the nationalistic fervour resulting from Scotland’s dominance of the seas, this helped extend the Scottish Golden Age for many more years.

Throughout these years the submissive French allies were of great use to mighty Scotland. Even as their armies trampled central Europe under their feet a progressive French family gave birth to one Norbert Rillieux in the Scottish port of Amsterdam. This child would grow up to be one of the most famed inventors and engineers of his age, and he was shipped back to Iona to help develop the Scottish nation. At the same time French scientists at home were unwittingly helping the Scottish cause, as though they thought that their newly discovered secrets of Chemistry were being securely delivered to their leaders in Versailles, they were in fact waylaid by Scottish agents and the secrets of their new technology were sent along with Rillieux to the workshops and laboratories of Iona.

In the Mediterranean overwhelming numbers of Turkish caravels were slowly depleting the Scottish Privateers, but their mission was of such financial and strategic importance that reinforcements were swiftly dispatched. However no-one had told the French navy of these top secret missions, and more than a few privateers were lost to over-enthusiastic French frigates. Meanwhile the Scottish raiders had ignored the fortified city of Graz, and set about pillaging the remnants of the southern provinces of the H.R.E.

By 1736 Scottish theologians and alchemists finally came to realise how to test things until they understood them. This grand discovery revolutionised the nations progress, and these clever men all renamed themselves scientists, and cast off their prior convictions. The religious community was less than happy about this, but it was explained to them clearly by the Scottish leadership that they would not be allowed to stand in the way of the nations scientific aspirations.

By that time the French armies, though using old outdated troops, managed to push aside any Italian resistance and established control over the ancient city of Rome. Now that their protector the H.R.E had fallen apart, the rest of the Italian peninsula looked sure to fall under French dominance. In Portugal the dreaded Moors had finally given up their claim to be the countries Orthodoxy, and new Jewish Rabbis were shipped by the boatload from the Scottish Republic to set up a new Jewish national religion.

Iona was quickly becoming known as the most prominent city in the world for unemployed engineers, but their skills were kept in use by being taught to the next generations, so the Scottish leaders were not too worried, though they did desperately try and nurture the birth of at least one great spy in the future.

As the Scottish scientists started working towards deciphering the lofty ideals of Communism, more practical advances were still being illicitly sent northwards from across the channel. From the shipyards of Brest Scottish agents worked tirelessly to extract the new secrets of Steel from the highest-security French smelters. In an act of everlasting bravery, a cornered and mortally wounded Scottish agent resorted to flinging the top-secret plans out to sea in a bottle, seconds before succumbing to his musket wounds. Though many good agents were lost in likewise circumstances, the secrets of Steel were picked up by Scottish shipping and taken back to the dockyards of Iona. From that day on the Scottish spymasters decided to only use women for all future espionage actions.

In the far east of Europe the Scottish raiders had come to a city that was more important than all the other isolated fiefdoms of the old German Empire. The lands that spread before them were rich and bountiful, and millennia ago they had been exhorted by a strange Egyptian prophet to settle these territories in return for vast rewards. The peoples of this land were distant cousins of the old Scandinavian kingdoms of Kalmar and Lulea, and were sure to welcome their powerful Scottish relatives. However the brutal Germans had built an imposing citadel, Faustindorf to subdue these brave people. The Scots knew that this fortress would have to fall.

Far away from the cold of Eastern Europe, remnants of the Nile expedition had reached new lands to pillage. The majority of the African armies had returned to Europe to fight the Germans, but these were folk consumed with bloodlust, whose families had been out raiding for hundreds of years. The barbarian cities of the subcontinent could not organise any strong resistance, and these Scottish raiders fell upon the defenceless towns of the Indus valley.

Although there were no local enemies remaining, Scottish diplomats managed to promote a pact of mutual aggression with the Ottoman dictator, agreeing that the two nations would respond to any attacks upon themselves or their vassals. This was mainly set up to lull the Turks into a false sense of security, but also to hold in check any aggression from the Far-East, whose countries were yet to feel the force of Scottish pacification.

Such was the importance of Scottish espionage, that the nation’s output was now superior to its science. All efforts were directed towards Scotland’s vassals, as there was no way for them to complain about the intrusion.

By 1748 the Republic’s forces had finally made it to the East Indies, with a modern Swedish warship overwhelming the local Khmer navy. However Scotland was still dealing with local problems and had too much instability to consider colonising such distant territories by force.

Scotland was not the only nation suffering, as cracks started to appear in the Ottoman Caliphate, with parts of the Levant declaring independence. Scottish leaders were interested to see how their rival would deal with any dissent.

It seemed the arrival of Swedish frigates was the last straw for Khmer resistance, and that year their emissaries approached the warship bearing the flag of peace. The captain could not see much point in endlessly harassing the Khmer coastline, and took the nation’s wealth and maps as recompense for the long voyage he and his men had endured.

Once they had seen the maps the Swedes were quite surprised, it seems the Khmer had been slowly advancing, and now held most of mainland China. The captain knew that these maps had to be returned to the war rooms of Iona, so that any future campaigns could be well planned.

Even as the Turks continued their conquest of Old Egypt, the French armies took over the old German city of Graz, cementing their claim to Central Europe.

To the east the great Scottish leader Friseal overran the hated city of Faustindorf with many cannon and rifles, burned the city to the ground and ordered the occupiers banished to other Germanic city states. Even as the fires of the burning city could be seen to the southwest, new settlers from Lulea cemented the Nordic claim to these lands by founding the city of Konugard on the banks of the Dnieper River.

Your sure you will survive with stab only all-right during a golden era?

WHOA! Very good story! Your RFC storyline resembles some of my own game that is being posted here (French and Norse stable and powerful, although many nations are still standing strong) - but I'm telling stories at French viewpoint :D

Although not being a vassal, the Norse are generally regarded as allies to my French nation - just check it out if you wish :)

Keep up the (very!) good work! Subbed.

Thanks! I have seen your story, I was secretly supporting the Vikings in it :) It's nice to see how the new DoC plays them, though it does sometimes make me feel im the only one left playing vanilla RFC...

It was good to see them take the Netherlands early, just wish you had their maps, they look like they have quite a stranglehold on Central Europe, at least until the Germans respawned :(

Why had I not subbed yet? I've been following this story faithfully... Time to delurk, I guess.

Far to the west in the Southern Caribbean Scottish warships patrolled the shipping lanes, sinking any pirates that could threaten the supplies for Scottish Mexico.

While to the Far East merchants trading in the court of the Khan brought back fine Chinese silks, traded with the Mongols for hardy New World cattle.

The merchants also brought back reports of the military skirmishes in Central China, where the powerful Mongolian Horde was pushing back the Khmer advances. They had even managed to take the powerful fortress of Xi’an, the key city of western China. In Europe French forces continued their attacks on the weakened city states, capturing the Polish city of Warschau in 1757.

The Scots were happy to accommodate their vassal’s advances, as long as they could reap the benefits. Portuguese expansion had brought new commodities into their markets, and the Scots designated bananas, sugar and whale products as necessities for Iona. As these luxuries set sail for the Scottish cities the merchants of Iona magnanimously sent furs and pet piglets back in return for the Jewish Portuguese.

The French reported back that their colonisation of Canada was proceeding rapidly, and they claimed they would soon control all of North America for their Scottish masters. The Scottish Congress sent word back that they did not seek any lands westwards of their Nova Scotia, and the French were free to colonise as they wished.

However the French were having more trouble keeping hold of their European holdings, as the occupied populations became more and more restive. In the end the continual rioting in French Berlin became too much for the Scottish Scandinavians on the other side of the Baltic, and troops were sent in to stifle the unrest and stop it spreading. Even though the city leaders begged to be allowed into the Scottish Republic the nation had no wish of incorporating more restive cities, and instead ordered that the city be abandoned, and the riotous populace be spread around the countryside as a punishment for resisting the Scot’s vassal, France.

The year 1760 was agreed by the majority of historians as being the definitive end of the Scottish Republic’s Golden Age. The nationalistic fervour stirred up by the navy’s prowess had slowly diminished, especially with the lack of any dire enemy to the nation, while the patriotic ostentatious of the Taj Mahal had paled into history as the Republic wore on. However Scotland had managed to rebuild its economy and improve its cities and it was hoped that the increased stability from the Golden Age would not prove temporary.

By 1763 the scientific output of Scotland had culminated in the discovery of Communism, with a new Manifesto for the Proletariat published in London by German exiles. Though the Republic did not officially endorse any of the ideals laid out in its pages its contents started a second revolution slowly rippling through all the classes of Scottish society.

In Iona a hereditary descendent of an old Roman merchant family was so inspired by these new Communist teachings that he turned his back on his family’s opulent and decadent lifestyle and swore servitude to his nation as a master of espionage. His arrival was welcomed by the congress, though he was not to be sent on any immediate missions.

As the economy was falling back from its previous heights the Scottish treasury needed more income, fragile relations with the West African Empire were patched up by the selling of Education reforms, while plunderers in the sub-continent continued to send back massive quantities of gold.

However this would not be enough to hold back the tide of instability that was threatening to sweep the nation, with disparate colonies scattered across three continents and self serving administrations entrenched in power, the future did not look bright for the Scottish Republic.

The allied forces of Scotland’s vassals were having more success on the battlefields of Europe, with France taking the old Roman city of Paestum, now the capital of the Kingdom of Naples. This brought the whole of the Italian Peninsula under French control. In the far east of the Baltic Portuguese knights, raiding far from home caught the defenders of Holmgard off their guard, and captured the old Norse city. Though many influential people across the sea in Scandinavia wanted to reintegrate Holmgard back into the Scottish Republic the top leaders knew that its inclusion would only further destabilise the nation, and the Portuguese were allowed to maintain ownership of their prize.

Scottish attention was focused further southwards, where the new city of Konugard was extending its influence on the surrounding lands. The Scandinavian colonists anticipated that within a few short years their city would control all of the bountiful lands, and provide a strategic outpost between civilised Europe and the barbarous Russian fiefdoms.

By 1772 the stability of Scotland had fallen so low that secession and rebellion were almost daily threats. Desperate to keep their nation together and to keep their grip on power, the powerful political families of Scotland searched everywhere for something to rise their people up out of stagnation.

Luckily that year had seen the arrival of a master of espionage in the trading hub of Kalmar. Although such people were vital for the information war that Scotland waged unceasingly against its vassals, in this case his powers and influence were harnessed with one of the great engineers waiting in Iona, to provide a great boost to the Scottish State. Such was the diligence of these two men that their actions caused Scotland to enter its second Golden Age of the eighteenth century.

Though this Golden Age would no doubt be fleeting, it encouraged another wave of Scottish colonisation. From its raiders pillaging the subcontinent Scotland had learnt of the vast riches of old India, and that there was no concerted force in control. So even as more plunder was shipped back overland through Turkey a settling party arrived on the Southeast coast. These colonists had travelled all the way from Scottish Amsterdam, and were determined to create a great Dutch presence in this new land.

Going to golden age all the way to the end of the game? :lol:

As long as possible! Viking stability really is not wonderful.. Though the fact that I spawned nothing but engineers for the first 4 GP didn't help me much.

BTW when uploading I noticed the weird farm west of Konugard, can anyone explain it?

As always, good update!

As for the farm... that may be from the fact it's not irrigated, if I am seeing the picture right.

Oh yeah :), its been a while since I played this, and I was confused by the other grassland tiles around it having the same yield

Top Bottom