G-Minor XXVIII

it's about as good of an idea as trying to win without founding berlin.

So the ultimate challenge is to win without founding Berlin AND selecting Raging Barbarians!!!

Raging barbs don't help at raising the number of camps. Only the number of barbs getting out of camps. So it's only worse.

The barbarians were BAD, but Ghandi (the scheming bastard) tanked my first attempt. It took 40 turns just to find the little %&*#, so I had to attack with a sup-optimal force to try and keep on schedule. Five units just couldn't get the job done. I guess I'll try again with normal barbarians and see if my scout lives longer.

Having won one, even with an embarrassingly high number of turns, I feel compelled to say that this gauntlet is by far my favorite! I'm now going to be on a Bismark binge for weeks!

Is anyone building the monument, or are you relying strictly on ruins for culture?

and

Are you exploring in one direction or sending units in both directions?

Turn 76 on first attempt.
Can archers from barb camps join you too? Got only warriors. All archers died. :(

yes, archers can join you too.. I also found out that barbs can join you even after you've killed them with archer fire, or killed them outside their camp. It's the act of entering the camp that generates the chance for barbs to join you. I was very surprised the first time it happened!

Having won one, even with an embarrassingly high number of turns, I feel compelled to say that this gauntlet is by far my favorite! I'm now going to be on a Bismark binge for weeks!

Is anyone building the monument, or are you relying strictly on ruins for culture?

and

i've been building monument for what it's worth - getting about turn 87 but my city taking is v.sluggish.

i've been building monument for what it's worth - getting about turn 87 but might city taking is v.sluggish.

I've been building warrior-monument-archer and taking Tradition, then Honor. Of course, I haven't been able to win a game under 118 yet, so it's probably the wrong approach for the Gauntlet. It sure is fun, though!

Bismark is definitely my ticked to completing the Inferno. A tiny duel on the Pangea map goes quite fast. Die, Ghandi, Die! Gneeeehehehehehe.........

taking Tradition, then Honor

i don't think tradition can be justified. the first 3 policies cost 75, 100, 180

if you hit a culture goody, it provides 60 culture, so on turn 15 you could either take tradition and get honor 25 turns later with nothing else built, and at 6 cpt you'd be 30 turns from 3rd policy - turn 70

if you took honor directly, not only do you start getting the bonus vs barbs 25 turns earlier, but even at just 2cpt you're only 50 turns from 2nd policy, so you should get there before turn 70.

if you build a monument rather than hitting a culture ruin, things shift even further in direct honor's direction.

i don't think tradition can be justified. the first 3 policies cost 75, 100, 180

if you hit a culture goody, it provides 60 culture, so on turn 15 you could either take tradition and get honor 25 turns later with nothing else built, and at 6 cpt you'd be 30 turns from 3rd policy - turn 70

if you took honor directly, not only do you start getting the bonus vs barbs 25 turns earlier, but even at just 2cpt you're only 50 turns from 2nd policy, so you should get there before turn 70.

if you build a monument rather than hitting a culture ruin, things shift even further in direct honor's direction.

Thanks!!! I wish that I had decided two weeks ago to start playing Civ5 again. I'm just too out-of-practice to turn in a decent effort on this challenge. It is still a great learning experience, though. I've learned a great deal about choosing an initial city location, and even more about drawing defenders away from cities.

Inferno is an HoF category where players win on all 8 of the difficulty settings.

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/mastery.php?show=difficulty&pubID=-1

I discovered that on the Settler setting, Gandhi (the backstabbing vermin) can be taken out by four warriors.

re: "I've learned a great deal about choosing an initial city location, and even more about drawing defenders away from cities."

I've learned a lot on this one too - mostly that I still have a lot to learn! :)
On the drawing the defenders out of cities thing - I guess I have been giving the AI too much credit assuming it wouldn't do anything really stupid. :)
Obviously that's not the case though. I think my problem is that I show up on the enemy's borders with a big army and instead of baiting the defenders out, they dig in. I'm guessing the trick is to just show one unit, keeping the main army hidden, till they come out from the city.
If the pros can take city with just five units (or four even?) then I should be able to too!

Hitting culture ruin helps a lot, obviously. But I've managed to get t88 without finding a single ruin at all. My archer only found El-Dorado and ironically died the very next turn due to combo of barb+enemy warrior. :lol:

Theoretically speaking in both is better. You're busting camps in two directions, recruit two armies and finish much earlier. On practice, though, I couldn't convert enough barbs for two fully capable armies fast. Most of the time it's one healthy bunch that can take out capital and another couple of dudes that are wondering pointlessly looking for more barbs since they cannot do anything by their own and the main force in too far away. However luck factor is huge. Sometimes you have 100% conversions and sometimes 0%. I'm sure whoever is patient with rerolling will eventually hit the jackpot.

yes, archers can join you too.. I also found out that barbs can join you even after you've killed them with archer fire, or killed them outside their camp. It's the act of entering the camp that generates the chance for barbs to join you. I was very surprised the first time it happened!
Me too. I also noticed that if the camp is razed by an archer that's what grants you culture bonus from Honor. Not killing the barb that was in it. I am not hallucinating, am I?

I also noticed that if the camp is razed by an archer that's what grants you culture bonus from Honor. Not killing the barb that was in it. I am not hallucinating, am I?

you are. you should get that checked out.

the purple number usually doesn't pop up immediately but when you return to the same screen location. so maybe you killed a barb, got switched to another unit somewhere else, then returned to a nearby unit taking the camp when finally the +4 (for archers) or +6 (for brutes) popped up on the screen. (the culture is added to your total culture though regardless the moment you make that kill.)

Good stuff vexing, you never cease to amaze me!
The only way I could conceive of getting anywhere near such an amazing finnish would be to open a ruins giving me archery, turn two find Eldorado and purchase an archer, turn three take the archer to a ruins and become a crossbowman, even then I would still struggle!

Good going all you top three.

a crossbow upgrade would be sweet.

i started building scout, buying 2nd warrior when i could afford it for recruiting. given 3 opponents, i think you want to build / recruit a sufficient army just going one direction, and only then start on 2nd army for other direction. basically you want to time it so the first army takes out its second opponent while the second army takes out final opponent.

at marathon the value of gpt is such that you don't need to settle on a mining luxury... any high gpt start, preferably also on a hill, can work.

Top Bottom