Civ V And My Computer

Kelranox

Chieftain
So, I have a custom built PC. It runs most anything smoothly on even the highest settings, Civ V included. However, my PC's fans freak out when running the game. Take note, that this doesn't even occur when Skyrim is running for a while. I even have the case open to allow a big fan to blow into it, which generally allows it to stay quiet for whatever I'm doing.

The actual gameplay runs smoothly with running at fullscreen on 1920x1080 resolution. I'd play on a smaller resolution without fullscreen but the dragging becomes monotonous after a while. Below are my specs. Are there any settings I could run the game on, or just a few things I could tick off to allow a calm session to occur? Thanks.

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.20 GHz

RAM: 8 GB's

Edit: Since the gameplay runs smoothly, I'd like suggestions other than simply turning everything on low. Also, for clarification I should note I'm playing on marathon with an earth sized map. I'm on about turn 300 or so.

No, there is nothing to do to change the fact that this game heats up the system to the point where the fans are maxed out. You may be able to change the fan speeds, but then you may over heat the computer and it will crash.

You may try to find some other way of cooling the system without using noisy fans though, ie replacing the fans with some guaranteed not to make any noise, or a way to remove the heat without maxing out the fans. However there is no game setting other than what you already mentioned that will lower the "heat" issue.

Unfortunately, I lack funding right now, so I can't really purchase new hardware for it. So, I guess I just have to turn the graphics settings down until the fans stop yelling at me, then? Eh, I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but if that's what it takes.

If you ever get the money, you could consider getting a water cooler for your CPU.That would probably be quieter, but you'd still have the case fans to deal with.

Not sure how old your system is, but it might be worth to check for dust on the fans in your case and videocard. And of course clean them :)

I do that using a vacuum cleaner while the system is off. Usually makes the fan spin and dust disappear.

Did you enable Vsync in the games options? It "automatically limits the framerate to the refresh rate of the monitor, therefore reducing framerates and therefore temperatures". See http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Civilization_V for some other workarounds.

I'm using a 3.40Ghz i7-3770 with 16GB of memory and a AMD Radeon HD 7770 running at 1920 x 1200. My Civ V graphics settings are fairly high, with just a few features disabled. I normally play on a huge map. Sometimes my fans speed up while paying but not excessively, and I haven't had any problems. I've assume that is due to Vsync being set.

Vsync may help. Using another program that limits the framerate can also help. I've heard people have success with both solutions.

Top Bottom