Enrico speaks real Venetian

I agree with the OP, i can too recognize what Enrico says, but what i'd like to point out is that most of the time when you interact with him he use a staple phrase that makes me giggle, he basically tells you that whats hes offering (even if its the player proposing) wont last for long, in a very middling or business like way, its funny if its like offering you like 25 gold for embassy or anything trivial ^^

i'd say catherine speaks russian better than me :D

i was impressed by such a high quality, especially as even in 100-million hollywood blockbusters a tolerable russian scoring is a very rare exception
(maybe theres a stereotype of the russian accent which movie makers follow)

William of Orange makes some very silly mistakes too. For instance, he says "I am hearing" instead of "I am listening" when you want to discuss something. It seems that the person that was hired to record his phrases wasn't really trying to sympathize. It was probably somebody from advertising instead of an actor.

I was not impressed by her Russian particularly, although it's true that she doesn't have that annoying accent most American "Russians" have.

can someone tell me what Caesar is saying when you open up his diplo screen?

Maybe I just have a dirty mind, but all I hear is "fook off, fero"

can someone tell me what Caesar is saying when you open up his diplo screen?

Maybe I just have a dirty mind, but all I hear is "fook off, fero"

DING! :p

I have to say I am quite happy with this expansion's voice acting! :) There are serious issues with previous leaders, but this time they seem to have nailed every leader!
Maria I and Pedro II sound very clear, and Maria I in particular is exactly how I was expecting her to sound! Their lines are correct, and even the way they treat you is how one would expect them to! :)

It's great to know Enrico was also done correctly, and Casimir seems to be well done as well... I found Ahmad al-Mansur to sound a little weird at first - his voice didn't really fit him - but I've gotten used to it, and it isn't bad! :) Right now waiting for the translation to pop up, I hope there are no mistakes in those as well...

Having Gajah Mada speak Old Javanese is a really nice surprise, and I hope they did a good job on that! :D Translating him will be hard, I bet, but it appears we already have some trying to do it!

That leaves Ashurbanipal, Pocatello and Shaka. I'm not sure if we'll ever going to get a full translation on those, but they sound great - hopefully it isn't a bust like Attila!
But I trust Shaka was well done - his themes also have vocals, and we have a translation for them! :D They seem to have studied their language a lot in order to get all of these!

i'd say catherine speaks russian better than me :D

i was impressed by such a high quality, especially as even in 100-million hollywood blockbusters a tolerable russian scoring is a very rare exception
(maybe theres a stereotype of the russian accent which movie makers follow)

From what I understood, she wasn't a native speaker, which is even more impressive, since her accent was pretty much flawless. But some of her phrases did sound awkward to me.

Being Dutch, hearing William of Orange speak also makes me cringe. He sounds very modern and not at all noble or regal. It makes me think of the kind of voice you hear announce the safety instructions in an aircraft. Anyway, in real life the guy probably spoke French all the time.

I agree. Well, similar complaints were made for Wu Zetian's Chinese, or for the fact they decided to let Ramses II speak Egyptian Arabic instead of Coptic. Doesn't bother me too much in the end.

What I did like however, is in Civ IV that they let the Charlemagne's units speak Low Saxon.

I agree. Well, similar complaints were made for Wu Zetian's Chinese, or for the fact they decided to let Ramses II speak Egyptian Arabic instead of Coptic. Doesn't bother me too much in the end.

What I did like however, is in Civ IV that they let the Charlemagne's units speak Low Saxon.

What's wrong with Wu Zetien's Chinese? I'm Chinese and it sounds fine. There are a couple off tones here and there but it's serviceable. I know back in the Tang Dynasty Chinese sounded nothing like it does now, but it's not like you can time lift somebody from that period and make them do voice overs...

About dead languages... only a small village actually speaks Manchurian now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWWy4aPwI9A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUZyUYRxqwY

Sejong speaks believable medieval Korean, probably inspired by slew of Korean historical dramas at the time. Modern Korean's much more monotonous, so he sounds like he's singing, he also speaks as if you were friend to, not like a king speaking to others, but I guess it fits his personality.

I'm ridiculously annoyed the be few errors in Ramkhamhaeng's speeches; most glaringly his proposals. You've already said hello! Stop replying to all my offers with hello. Then there's the intro...

I can't believe they got that wrong; It's nowhere near a dead language, and I hear there's a small but significant Thai-speaking population in the US. I feel sorta insulted they got Latin and Venetian right but managed to mess up Thai....

I'm ridiculously annoyed the be few errors in Ramkhamhaeng's speeches; most glaringly his proposals. You've already said hello! Stop replying to all my offers with hello. Then there's the intro...

I can't believe they got that wrong; It's nowhere near a dead language, and I hear there's a small but significant Thai-speaking population in the US. I feel sorta insulted they got Latin and Venetian right but managed to mess up Thai....

Maybe they mixed it up with Taiwan and tried to find a Thai speaker in Taiwan?
At least they're not speaking Taiwanese, that's always a plus right?

Sejong speaks believable medieval Korean, probably inspired by slew of Korean historical dramas at the time. Modern Korean's much more monotonous, so he sounds like he's singing, he also speaks as if you were friend to, not like a king speaking to others, but I guess it fits his personality.

Yeah, many Koreans complained about the tone though. Medieval Korean drama actors have a somewhat less evidently sing-song voice, which inspired some Koreans to make their own recordings of what they believed Sejong should sound like. I appreciated them having added some medieval Korean words though, and I really liked how Sejong's original Declare War mentioned the Jihyunjun (the Jade Hall in the Korean UA).

I wonder if they got medieval Mongolian right since the Mongol movie apparently did horribly in that department.

What's wrong with Wu Zetien's Chinese? I'm Chinese and it sounds fine. There are a couple off tones here and there but it's serviceable. I know back in the Tang Dynasty Chinese sounded nothing like it does now, but it's not like you can time lift somebody from that period and make them do voice overs...

About dead languages... only a small village actually speaks Manchurian now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWWy4aPwI9A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUZyUYRxqwY
Well she sounds more like a modern girl rather than a powerful empress from tang dynasty. And btw, manchurian is from qing dynasty, and it is not chinese. Although you are right about that, the language speaking in ancient china is nothing like today. But at least they should use the classical chinese, which even high school student can understand it.

Pedro's lines are pretty good, with some words and expressions very characteristic from the 19th century. Only thing that bothers me is that he has the voice of a guy with a third of the age with which he is represented.

Top Bottom