Portugal: Feitoria is practical, fun to build, and easy on the eyes

s0nny80y

Emperor
The Nau ship is interesting as well. For the one game I've played as Portugal so far, I've received a max of 400 gold from the furthest delivered exotic goods. Is a maximum of 400 receivable gold the case for Portugal in every game? In my case, the map doesn't wrap and luckily I started in Portugal's real life location on a Mediterranean map.

The Feitoria, on the other hand, makes it so that one could literally garrison a troop in a CS regardless of the CS' diplomatic status. This means that the Portuguese do not need to invest themselves into an alliance with said CS while gaining a copy of their luxury resources.

And a special mention to Feitoria design; pretty rad, I think. Reminds me of a few medieval illustrations of Maltese and Cyprus strongholds (Roger Crowley!)

What I like about the Feitoria is how easily it allows you to get a ludicrous amount of happiness. You don't need to spend gold every few turns in order to ally the City State, and you don't need to expand to gobble up luxuries - all you need to do is build a Feitoria in a city state and BAM! You get it all.

Not only does this save you gold and production, but it also allows you to trade away whatever luxury resources you have within your own borders without having to worry about a happiness hit.

I went tall with Portugal and got the Sopol in the Aesthetics tree that converts 50% of Happiness into Culture. When Feitorias hit the world stage, I was burning through the Social Policies trees.

I agree, Feitorias are wonderful. In my Portugal game I got a little unlucky as most of the City-States on the map had either Incense or Furs and nothing else, but it was an archipelago game so resources were understandably less diverse. That said, once I had put feitorias everywhere I think I was getting 16 happiness from City-State luxuries, all only for the cost of a worker's upkeep. The Portuguese UA is also great - I was getting about 28 gold from every sea route out of my capital, which just made my economy boom. Portugal is definitely a fun civ to play.

On a side note: does anyone know if there's any use to receiving two copies of a luxury when you're both allied and have a feitoria? You can't trade them away it seems, and it doesn't seem to provide any extra happiness.

On a side note: does anyone know if there's any use to receiving two copies of a luxury when you're both allied and have a feitoria? You can't trade them away it seems, and it doesn't seem to provide any extra happiness.

It's like a backup. If you lose alliance status due to a coup, or if the Feitoria gets razed by someone you are at war with, you still have the other way of accessing the luxury.

Just started a game as Portugal and they're amazing so far and that's just from their UA. So wealthy... Although starting next to venice probably helps. Too bad ill have to kill them before they take all the css andmake my naus and feitoras usele ss

The Nau ship is interesting as well. For the one game I've played as Portugal so far, I've received a max of 400 gold from the furthest delivered exotic goods. Is a maximum of 400 receivable gold the case for Portugal in every game? In my case, the map doesn't wrap and luckily I started in Portugal's real life location on a Mediterranean map.

The Feitoria, on the other hand, makes it so that one could literally garrison a troop in a CS regardless of the CS' diplomatic status. This means that the Portuguese do not need to invest themselves into an alliance with said CS while gaining a copy of their luxury resources.

And a special mention to Feitoria design; pretty rad, I think. Reminds me of a few medieval illustrations of Maltese and Cyprus strongholds (Roger Crowley!)

What size map were you playing? The most I have gotten is around 270-280 on a standard map.

Portugal is freaking awesome, for what its worth, their start bias has yielded far better starting city locations then Venice.

Yeah Portugal is a crazy fun civ. Especially if you already liked the naval game, definitely adds a ton more flavor.

I had 4 triremes pulled back to home base ready to be upgraded to Nau as soon as I popped Astronomy. I had forgotten all about the 'trade mission' ability so imagine my delight when I averaged 230 gold back on a 180 gold upgrade cost!

Does the AI actively build Feitorias? I'm playing on Immortal against Maria and haven't seen any of these in any city state.

What size map were you playing? The most I have gotten is around 270-280 on a standard map.

Portugal is freaking awesome, for what its worth, their start bias has yielded far better starting city locations then Venice.

Mediterranean, large by default.

The Nau takes roughly 18 turns to reach Ottoman lands.

I can imagine selling goods to Brazil in a huge Earth game. I'm sure that should net nearly double the amount a large map could provide.

It's a viable strategy as Portugal to get 3 more workers than you need and just send them to all the city states once you research navigation, and watch your happiness levels soar.

Nao's are okay, you definitely don't want to be rushbuying them but they are pretty good if you can get a few of them out when you start exploring the world.

Top Bottom