GOTM23 Succession Game [PTW]

ControlFreak

Not An Addict, Really
This game is to be played in [ptw]v1.27.

We are replaying the GOTM23 as a Succession Game for those who were unable to finish the "real" GOTM or just like the idea of playing it as a team.

Our roster is short so if you would like to sign up, go HERE

denyd
DaveShack
TedJackson
jimmydean

Civilization: Arabs
Difficulty: Monarch
World size: 5000 tiles (standard)
Landmass: Pangaea 58% H2O
Geology: 3 billion years old
Environment: Warm and Arid
Barbarians: Raging
Rivals: 9 Preset
Upgrade Swordsmen/Longbows: ON
Differential Naval Movement is Engaged

Lurkers@
This game requires the GOTM23 mod file installations. Go to The Game Announcement Page for GOTM23 for more information.

This thread contains **SPOILER** information for GOTM23.
Even though GOTM23 deadline has passed, if you were planning on playing the game under competition conditions, you should wait to read this thread until you have completed your game.

OK Team, post to check in here.

denyd, you get to start us off.

All players, please save your uploads with the filename:
SG23P_BCXXXX.SAV or SG23P_BCXXXX.ZIP

XXXX should be a four digit number for the date. e.g. BC0010 is 10 BC. All letters should be capitalized. This is so the saves sort properly in the uploads and in the save directory.

I will continue to advertize for more players as I think 4 is too few. If you run into trouble, I will be serving as a sub on both teams.

Go Get 'Em!

Checking in as requested :)

Looking forward to playing this one with you all.

Ted

I'll get started tonight and post my results ASAP.

A couple of items before I start:

Any preference on city placement like ICS, OCP, RCP?

Since I sent my first scout W in the original GOTM, I'll send him E this time, I'm planning on settling 1 SE of starting point.

I'll be building 3 scouts, then switching to granary.

I'll be researching The Wheel at maximum followed by Mysticism.

Comments??

@Denyd
As we're expansionist wouldn't it make more sense to set our research to Alphabet or Ceremonial Burial (depending on which way up the tree you want to go first) and turn science right down to hoard our gold?

Ted

Ted,

I bit of pre-knowledge (that will be acquired via the spaceship page), tells me that The Wheel is the only first level tech that won't be a part of the opening techs for my opponents. All I need to do is find the Alphabet/CB AI and trade for them (the hard part). I also want to find where the horses are so we'll have them when our UU comes available. I agree with the Alphabet path choice and will switch to Writing if I find the Alphbet owner and not the CB owner when I finish researching The Wheel. I'm kind of debating between the Monarchy and Republic options. Since we'll be at war (Domination goal), Monarchy is probably the better choice. So, if I can meet and trade for Alphabet, CB, WC and the other 1st level techs, my research would be The Wheel (for horses), Mysticism, Poly and Monarchy.

Sounds OK?

Deny

Arabs are expansionist and religious so we already have CB.

Researching the wheel to start with is fine given no Japan on F10. Building scouts might net us a tech while pursuing the Wheel. If it's Mystism, I think Poly is a good gambit as we could then do Monarchy route. if we don't get Mystism before the wheel is done, chosing alphabet/writing but doing zero reserach would force the huts to yield the Math route or the Monarchy route, both being helpful.

Originally posted by denyd
Ted,

I bit of pre-knowledge (that will be acquired via the spaceship page), tells me that The Wheel is the only first level tech that won't be a part of the opening techs for my opponents. All I need to do is find the Alphabet/CB AI and trade for them (the hard part). I also want to find where the horses are so we'll have them when our UU comes available. I agree with the Alphabet path choice and will switch to Writing if I find the Alphbet owner and not the CB owner when I finish researching The Wheel. I'm kind of debating between the Monarchy and Republic options. Since we'll be at war (Domination goal), Monarchy is probably the better choice. So, if I can meet and trade for Alphabet, CB, WC and the other 1st level techs, my research would be The Wheel (for horses), Mysticism, Poly and Monarchy.

Sounds OK?

Deny
I understand your reasoning now :)

My experience in MB3 leads me to suggest that Republic would be the better Government choice.

Ted

How about this:

Settler SE and build city - starts building scout (x3) then granary and settlers

Research: The Wheel at maximum, trying to find AI/huts for Alphabet, Masonry, Warrior Code, Bronze Working. Then Wiriting at minimum. We won't be able to get Writing from a hut while researching it, but cie la Civ.

Worker will irrigate and road to assist in city growth. Hoping to find nearby food resources to exploit/enhance.

PS: Thanks for this ideas/information on this thread, one of my reasons for joining this game was to learn new & better methods of playing.

:beer:

Normally, I wouldn't care much about global player ranking and the like, but since the players here have expressed an interest to learn as well as play I am recommending a roster change. I'm switching TedJackson and jimmydean on the roster. I know TedJackson has very detailed reporting and I think his comments on your game DaveShack will be helpful to you as a relative newbie. His guidance will also help jimmydean. Although, i've never played with denyd, you don't get into the top 50's without being a good player. Alternating our ability levels will help our newer players as well as make the team more successful.

If anyone is bothered by this, please let me know. I am only interested in making the make more fun, not in criticizing anyone.

Originally posted by ControlFreak
Arabs are expansionist and religious so we already have CB.
I, of course, meant Mysticism :)

The important point that is by researching something a GH will not give that tech until all other techs are discovered. So if we researched Mysticism then we could get all the other techs bar the Monarchy branch.

@denyd
they're your turns so you can play them how you want :)

Discussion is always an option as far as I'm concerned. Civ, just like real life is always a learning experience.

Ted

While I've played solo many game, this is my first sucession game and want to make sure I take advantage of this opportunity to gain insight into other ideas. As most of us are aware the first 50 turns often make a game much easier and since I get around 40% of those turns I want to make sure I don't miss simple move that might make the game more enlightening later on.

One of the main selling points of this type of game to me is the ablility to 'see how the other people play'. I'll give the first 20 my best shot and try to deliver a solid base for spreading the word of Allah!!

:beer:

PS: Not being very aware of the Arab customs, is beer a common beverage???

Normally, I wouldn't care much about global player ranking and the like, but since the players here have expressed an interest to learn as well as play I am recommending a roster change.
I can't believe I'm still on the first page. I haven't managed to submit a game since GOTM19 and my last QSC is 21 (which still hasn't been scored :))

I'm switching TedJackson and jimmydean on the roster. I know TedJackson has very detailed reporting and I think his comments on your game DaveShack will be helpful to you as a relative newbie. His guidance will also help jimmydean. Although, i've never played with denyd, you don't get into the top 50's without being a good player. Alternating our ability levels will help our newer players as well as make the team more successful.
No problem for me.

As an aside, I started playing Succession Games because I was becoming frustrated with not being able to complete GotM in time to submit.

I have found SGs to be both a great learning tool and a nice way to get your Civ 'fix'. So for the newbies (to SGs or Civ) look on this as a pleasant way to perhaps improve your game and have some fun.

Making mistakes is part of the process so don't agonise over them. I certainly still make mistakes from time to time but I just shrug and move on. After all.... it's only a game :D

Ted
(sorry for rambling on a bit there and hope I don't sound too pompous:))

I have no issues with coming up later on the rotation.

I noticed that there have been a number of posts since I posted this morning. I can probably check the forum once or twice during the day (PST, GMT -8), however during the night, I can check here quite often. I'll try and post anytime a discussion about how to proceed comes up.

One thing about researching Mysticism -- In my experience, that and Iron Working are the two techs that are researched first by the AI. Wheel is also often researched first, although not as often. We may want to research The Wheel, and then hold off until we trade for Alphabet or Mysticism, after which we can start on Writing/Mathematics or Polytheism/Monarchy.

Wow, look how many posts since the last time I checked at 2am this morning! :)

What victory condition are we aiming for? The GOTM23 designated "Domination", or something else?

This is my first SG and I'm way down at the bottom of the rankings, so maybe I'd better let y'all know what you're getting into...

The areas I'm most in need of improvement are in finding the correct balance between military and civilian production, and knowing precisely when to start / stop wars. When it goes well for me it really goes well, but I often have too weak a military or maybe am waiting too long to take out my close neighbors. The other problem I have is getting behind in tech in the late middle ages.

Of course it is a game so mostly looking to have fun! :D

Well, fasten your seatbelts, keep all your hands and arms inside the car at all times and here we go:

4000 BC Scout1 goes NE-N finds goats in the desert to the North – Worker1 E spots wool – Settler SE

3950 BC Settler founds Mekkah starts scout – settling reveals a floodplain to the south – Worker1 E to Wool – Begin researching Mysticism 100% due in 22 turns (changed my mind from The Wheel – they are both the same time to build) – Scout1 N-W spots 3 olives in the desert

3900 BC Worker1 begins to irrigate wool – Scout1 W-NW across the desert

3850 BC Scout1 N-NW spots hills to the west

3800 BC Scout1 NW-NW spots lake and grassland

3750 BC Mekkah builds Scout2 starts another – Scout2 SW-SW exposes more flood plain and gold in the mountains – Scout1 N-NW around lake

3700 BC Worker1 completes irrigation begins road – Scout2 S-S spots lake south of Mekkah – Scout1 NW-W spots silks

3650 BC Scout2 SE-S moving through the valley – Scout1 N spots goats

3600 BC Scout1 N-NE spots village in mountain – Scout2 S-SW to bottom of valley

3550 BC Worker1 completes road to Wool (1st luxury) goes SW – Mekkah builds Scout3 – starts granary – Scout3 NE-NE – Scout2 SW-SW spots spices and goats – Scout1 NE-NE pops hut for a Warrior1 – Warrior1 E spots a blue border

3500 BC Scout1 N-NW spots more silks – Warrior1 E to blue border – Scout3 NE-NE to edge of mountain range – Scout2 W-W spots more goats

3450 BC Scout3 N-W spots lots of BG – Warrior1 N along blue border to N coast – Scout2 W-W into the desert – Scout1 W-W moving through the grassland – Blue is Persia – Trade Persia CB + Pottery + 1g for Bronze Working – Persia is ahead 1 tech (Masonry) has 1 city and 11g and polite to us

3400 BC Scout3 E-E to lakeshore – Warrior1 SE along blue border – Scout1 N-N along mountain edge – Scout2 W-W meets Yellow warrior – Yellow is Egypt – Trade Pottery + Bronze Working to Egypt for Masonry + 10g – Egypt has 1 city 0 gold and even in tech – even in tech to Persia 11g

3350 BC Scout3 N-E around lake – Scout2 W-W spots lambs and a village – Warrior1 SE along border (heading to Mekkah) – Scout1 W in mountains

3300 BC Scout1 W-W back into the mountains – Warrior1 SE – Scout3 S-SE in plains next to desert – Worker1 completes irrigation begins road – Scout1 SW-W pops hut for Warrior Code also spots yellow border – Persia is now Cautious – Egypt still polite

3250 BC Warrior1 E spots Persepolis with a spearman MP and a worker mining a hill – Scout3 E-E reaches eastern shore – Scout1 W sees grassland with river – Scout2 W-W along yellow border

3200 BC Scout3 S spots spices – Warrior1 E along border – Scout2 W-W reaches SW coast – Scout1 W-NW spots gems in the mountains and lots of plains with goats/lambs and a flood plain

3150 BC Worker1 S to floodplain – Scout3 spots olives on the hills – Scout2 spots gems on the mountains to the west – Scout1 W-NW spots more grassland and plains

3100 BC Scout1 W-W spots a cow and a village – Warrior1 E spots spices – Worker1 irrigate flood plain – Scout3 SW-S spots orange border – Scout2 N-N lots of gems to the west into a nice flood plain

3050 BC Scout1 W-N pops hut and gets Alphabet – Warrior1 E to mountains – Scout3 S to orange border – Scout2 N-N to flood plain with lots of wheat – Orange is Ottoman – Recap of known AI – Ottomans 1 city 10g behind 2 tech (alphabet & CB) : Persia 1 city 11g behind 1 tech (alphabet) – Egypt 2 cities 0g behind 2 tech (warrior code & alphabet) – treasury is 8g 5gpt – Mysticism in 1 turn switch slider to 8-2-0 – Granary done in Mekkah in 2 turns – growth to 4 in 5 turns – 3 scouts 1 conscript warrior and 1 worker - All 1st level techs except The Wheel and Mysticism due in 1 turn

EDIT - Sorry I forgot to rename the file - Also is this the way to add attachments and I'd like to post a picture but am not sure how?

The attachment worked ok, but I'm not sure how you did it. I normally do them by using the upload link at the bottom of the page, and then using a http tag to link the file. Screenshots can be added by using the upload link and then using the IMG tag to link them.

I have it and am now trying to decide how to proceed with the 1st settler and the next tech choice.

Update: turnset 2 completed.

Save file, 2390BC

Code:
Preturn -- don't see any need for changes

3000 BC, Turn 1.  8.2.0 9g+5gpt
Mysticism discovered, start on The Wheel (40 turns)
Since we're ahead in tech and expansionist, let's try a
min research for the wheel and rack up some gold.

E scout goes E.  NE Warrior follows mountain chain to NE.
NW scout goes NW, W.  SW scout goes W, corner of a border
seen to the N, shifts to the N.  Border is black.
End of turn 1, 14g +5gpt, Wheel in 40

3000 Great book: not shown

2950 BC, Turn 2.  7.3.0 19g+4gpt.
Makkah completes granary, starts on settler (5 turns)
E Scout goes E, found coast with oysters.  NE warrior goes NE.
SW Scout goes N, W.  NW scout moves N.

2900 BC, Turn 3, 7.3.0 23g+4gpt.
Contact with Zulu, they lack Masonry and Alphabet, and have only 10g.
Check other trade opps, Ottomans have 10g and lack Alphabet and CB
Egypt has nothing and needs Alphabet, Warrior Code, Mysticism
Persia has 2g and needs Mysticism

SW scout continues W.  Irrigation finished, start road.  SE scout S.
NE warrior N.  NW scout E,N.

2850 BC, Turn 4, 7.3.0, 27g+4gpt, Wheel in 37.
SE scout sees a pictish, heads back N.  NE warrior N.
NW scout E, S.  SW scout E.

2800 BC, Turn 5, 7.3.0, 31g+4gpt.  Wheel in 36.
SW scout E, E.  SE scout N.  NE warrior E.  NW scout S, E
Dark blue borders in view but no contact.  Growth dropped
gpt to +3 but wheel remained 36, so adjusted slider to 10%, still
36 turns, +4gpt.  Settler in 3, growth in 5.

2750 BC, Turn 6, 9.1.0 36g+5gpt, Wheel in 35.
Contact with Carthage, they have 3g and need Pottery, Warrior Code, Mysticism.
SW scout 2NE.  NE warrior E, NW scout E, discovered empty town of Orleans.
Move NE and stay inside border to get contact next ibt.  SE scout N.

IBT: Joan of France complains about our scout near Orleans.
France has two workers (!!) and needs Pottery and Mysticism.
She wants both techs for just one worker, no dice.

2710 BC, Turn 7, 9.1.0, 41g+5gpt, Wheel in 34.
SW scout E, N.  Road toward the north.  SE scout N.  NE warrior E.
NW settler will now go S to check out the big open area between NW and SW.
We're still dead last in score, everyone else has a 2nd city.  With a
granary we should beat them to the 3rd or 4th one...

2670 BC, Turn 8, 9.1.0, 46g+2gpt, Wheel in 33.
Settler done, start warrior.  We are now way behind in military and need to
crank out a unit or two.
Egypt has a couple of workers available.  Trade Alphabet+42g for 2 workers?
No, need to hold on to more gold in case someone has wheel to trade.
Instead give Ottomans Alphabet for 10g+worker?  We don't seem to get
enough for that trade either.  In the end I decided not to
do either one.

I find myself agonizing over the town placement far longer than normal...
Don't want to let down the team.  Finally decide on S, S, SW, SW.
SE scout W.  NE warrior E, sees hut.  NW scout S, S.  SW scout E, N

2630 BC, Turn 9, 9.1.0, 48g+2gpt, Wheel in 32.
SE scout W.  NW scout S.  NE warrior pops hut, Iron Working!
SW scout E.

We are up Iron Working on everyone.  Persia is the only one with
anything remotely interesting, 60g.

2590 BC, Turn 10, 9.1.0, 50g+2gpt, Wheel in 31.
Warrior done, start another.  Iron in view to the W, divert
settler toward the iron.  Send this warrior to the settler.

End of turn, 50g+3gpt, wheel in 31
3 scouts, 2 warriors, 1 settler, 1 granary, producing warrior.
6 contacts, ahead in tech on everyone, Iron in sight.

Here's a screen shot of 3050BC

Good exploration denyd :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if I would have moved the Settler. I think you probably wanted to get the Wool working ASAP and was looking for a Settler Factory in the here & now. I would have stayed where I was for a higher production city later on but that's a question of taste and style :)

The rest of the turn was classic QSC stuff - some nice contacts, resulting in a tech lead and our granary is nearly ready :goodjob:

2950 looks like this

(N.B. The maps aren't to the same scale)

Good solid play DaveShack :thumbsup:

Personally I would have snapped up one of those Egyptian Workers but I wouldn't have bought both as it would have been a major setback to Egypt.

Town placement is crucial but I thought the choices were very limited. I would have picked 3S,1W or 3S,1SW almost automatically. I know they're on Floodplain but either site will turn into a Settler/Worker Factory.

I don't feel that the Iron is critical just yet so I'll send the Settler back to his original target on the river. The Iron will fall under our control in 32 turns at worst from Makkah's cultural expansion.

Looking at the map in general I see some nice open countryside which will suit our Ansars. There's plenty of resources around and there are more rivers than I expected :)

As usual there's a shortage of warriors & workers but that will sort itself out of the coming years, as it always does.

Ted

Top Bottom