Votes: 2,357 39.0%
  • The Nineties (1990-99)

Votes: 1,273 21.1%
  • The 2000s (2000-2009)

Votes: 68 1.1%
  • The 2010s (2010-2019)

Votes: 3 0.0%

• Total voters
I am part of the largest decade in civfanatics, the 80s. I've been playing civilization since it came out on SNES as civilization and passed it on the hardest levels. However, civilization 2 added wonders, more neat things and a new challenge with more difficult ais. I missed civilization 3 but got to civilization 4 and bts which also became very challenging in comparison to the basic civilization so I had to learn how to win in higher difficulties. Civilization 5 bnw also is challenging because of all the new things that are different from bts.

'89 here
Though I must say that I really encountered Civ only with IV installment, and that was the beginning of 2010, basically several months before V launched.
It was a love from the first glance :D

We are almost to 5000 responses!!! Please vote.

Civ 5 is literally the sole reason for my newfound passion in history. I think that's why I champion geographical diversity - when I found out Songhai was in Civ 5 I read up a lot about them, and learned about a new culture I would have otherwise never experienced. Same with Polynesia. I knew zilch about them until Civ 5 got me into them, then I started reading Polynesia history books from my local library

This is why I'm proud Indonesia made it. Even if it's just a small handful of people, if they are anything like me they will read up on the Civilopedia, and perhaps even further look into the nation on a deeper and more sophisticated level in their own time.

Video games should be fun above all. But for me Civ has captured this sweet spot that has tickled my hunger for history beyond the game itself

I thought I was some exceptional nerd until I read this. Apparently Civilization series are very inspiring.

I'm 1982 myself. Was in high school when a friend of mine showed me Civilization 2. I didn't have a computer at home myself, but it certainly piqued my interest. I love history, and Civ is a wonderful chance to learn.

I wonder if the people who are from the thirties are still... alive?.

At least one of us is. Bought CivI the day it was released and have been playing ever since.

THE EIGHTIES BABY!!! You can't beat leg warmers and VHS tapes!

"What's that? Your cassette player automatically goes in reverse?!"

FAR OUT

Born in the seventies, baby! Groovy!

Been playing this series since the very first game. Loved Civ1, Loved Civ2, could probably have used a rehab program for SMAC, liked Civ3, enjoyed Civ4... and I daresay Civ5 BNW is going to end up landing me in rehab again. lol

Add one more from the 30's. Played from Civ 1 on, including the exceptional Alpha Centurai (but not the expansion)

In fact, G&K and BNW are the first expansions I have bought.

99 Luftballons, fliegen durch den Horizont...so 1984 for me. Civ (the original) was my second game ever (the first being 3D tetris on DOS), and probably my most played game til date, because for a long while i did not have any other games.

I come from Hungary and you have to know that getting games in the nineties was borderline impossible, if you did not know someone who dealt with pirated games. When i was around 10 I had a friend who knew someone, and from then on I played a lot of games (rather watched my friend play them as I did not have a PC after my parents divorce), including Civ 2, 3, and Call to Power, which I liked back then, although now I think it is kinda garbage.

CiV 4 was my second non-pirated game (the first being HL 2 due to CounterStrike, which is kinda weird as i was always rather crappy with FPS games) ever, i bought in on a trip to Germany, which pissed off my gf to no-end back then, as we werent exactly rich to put it mildly. But in hindsight Civ4 lasted way longer than that relationship :)

It is really funny when i think about only playing Civ 1 on Chieftain difficulty, I did not speak english back then and did not understand most of the game, and now I am only playing Civ 5 on Emperor / Immortal (not deity cause i hate the AI getting a free settler:). Although I am rather sure that Civ is one of the main reasons I learnt english so early :)

Earthquake in the Civ 5 forums!!!

The membership poll thread is brought to the surface. :)

Please make your mark and leave us a comment.

I doubt there are only 31 members here who are thirteen or under.

I doubt there are only 31 members here who are thirteen or under.

Well, civilization is very much not a Gen Y (or Gen Z) game so that seems about right. Although I am part of Gen Y in terms of DoB, I don't really understand Gen Y people anyway. What I mean is that this game appeals strongly to older players and I fail to see how younger people aged below 13 could possibly be into this game.

If this were a minecraft community forum, the figure would be more like 3,100 youths at age 13 or below.

Well, civilization is very much not a Gen Y (or Gen Z) game so that seems about right. Although I am part of Gen Y in terms of DoB, I don't really understand Gen Y people anyway. What I mean is that this game appeals strongly to older players and I fail to see how younger people aged below 13 could possibly be into this game.

If this were a minecraft community forum, the figure would be more like 3,100 youths at age 13 or below.

This. I'm from the mid nineties, and most of my peers would definitely prefer the generic CoD FPS to civ. I'm not too much of an exception though, I administrated a Team Fortress 2 forum community prior to coming here (and still technically do).

How long until the mods have to add a "The Teens (2010-2019)" option? This thread has aged. :lol:

Indeed although I find it doubtful that any 4 yr olds are playing at the moment :) Anyways I'm in the minority, I'm a 2000s baby

Top Bottom