Minor Leaders

I think creating rivers would be tricky.

My Orbis civ, the Ngomele, are especially river-fan. They have some bonuses near them. However, sure, there could be a civ with more flavour toward river.

My Orbis civ, the Ngomele, are especially river-fan. They have some bonuses near them. However, sure, there could be a civ with more flavour toward river.

Hmm, would that require a filter? How about if they could move along rivers faster?

Well that works then.

So when is Valkrionn porting the gnolls over? :D

There is.

Every non-fallow civ in existence.
Why only non-fallow? Rivers make commerce and cheap trade routes too.
...and they could have a spell that creates rivers.
If you can figure out how, tell me. One of my eventual goals in reworking the spell system is to have every type of terraforming be somehow available. Rivers are the only thing I don't even have the slightest clue how to manage.

Hmm, would that require a filter? How about if they could move along rivers faster?

I'm not sure why creating rivers should be impossible if they are listed as a terrain or a feature (can't remember which). Seems like you could just copy the python from scorch or some such.

Of course, I'm probably massively oversimplifying it. :D

Maybe it's the direction of the river that makes things crazy?

Now I have to try...

*grumble*

rivers run along the lines BETWEEN tiles.

They are neither feature, improvement, or terrain. I'm not sure what they are to be honest.

Still have a blank spot for the Austrin leader? Way back in the day, in Notque's thread, I offered up an idea, and 25hour gave a possible trait to go with it. Do with both as you will, I leave art finding to you.
Also, I'm the wise-guy who came up with the original idea for Esirce, knowing he'd be overpowered. I'd intended he also get a nerfing trait of some sort; you'll notice Esirce is not described the most competent of individuals. Some sort of trait to demonstrate the corruption that consumes his court; perhaps something that increases city maintenance?

So here's a question for you: is it technically possible for a river to sink or float?
It's even a PITA to make rivers where you want them to be with Worldbuilder. I don't see a spell ever happening.
That's pretty much my thinking as well. Because rivers are so good, any spell that created or destroyed them would have to be HUGELY expensive, so having to lay them out like you do in worldbuilder would be a huge penalty to people who actually care about how their empire looks, and don't just want to spam rivers everywhere.

Still have a blank spot for the Austrin leader? Way back in the day, in Notque's thread, I offered up an idea, and 25hour gave a possible trait to go with it. Do with both as you will, I live art finding to you.
Also, I'm the wise-guy who came up with the original idea for Esirce, knowing he'd be overpowered. I'd intended he also get a nerfing trait of some sort; you'll notice Esirce is not described the most competent of individuals. Some sort of trait to demonstrate the corruption that consumes his court; perhaps something that increases city maintenance?

That's awesome, going to use it. :goodjob:

Also, Esirce is amazingly well written... Reminds me of Dongalore from Kröd Mändoon and the Flaming Sword of Fire, although you wrote that before the show ever aired. :lol: He's actually almost balanced in FFPlus, too, because he can't build Adventurer spawn buildings in captured cities.

Something else, now that I think about it. It's from something I'm working on but, on reflection, I'll not be using this particular bit. I see it being used for one Vohu Manah, a Sidar leader with the "cleanser" trait (grants all units Undead Slaying), a good alignment, and more aggression than her kin. The name is that of a Great Merchant; long story.
Spoiler Vohu Manah :
Mel'ash smelled them before he saw them. The living. But not Austrin. No, no, not Austrin at all. Austrin stank, dirtier than many animals. They stank of toil, of work, of the wilds. But these living... yes, they definitely smelled human. But what sort of human? There were workers and laborers, but they smelled cleaner than any Austrin could hope to. And there were other smells... perfumes, like those the Scions of the false Patria held so dear. But different sorts of perfumes. Foreign perfumes, from somewhere beyond the world known to D'tesh and his Legion.

So Mel'ash went forward, driven by a mixture of curiosity and greed. He's be rewarded well for bringing D'tesh a new supply of slaves. Soft, he reckoned they were from the smell. But they could be made useful in time. When he gazed out towards the newcomers, however, his confidence faltered. They were armed, yes, and armored. Leading them was a woman, a woman who smelled like mist. They were pale, as though dead, but they still smelled living. Slaves they would be. But those weapons... arms and armor Mel'ash had never seen before, in the hands of his kin or the Scions. They were dangerous, so very dangerous... perhaps, Mel'ash thought, he should speak with them. Deception and trickery, after all, where just as good as slaughter, though not half as fun. And Mel'ash could be mistaken for living, well enough anyways.

Mel'ash muttered a spell, to grant him the power of tongues. He then slipped out from his hiding place, approaching the foreigners. He was immediately surrounded by the pale men. Their swords, he noticed, were elegant, nothing like D'tesh's own glorified meat cleavers. An aesthetic people. They had also been placed at his throat, even though he'd been alone a second ago. “Come,” said one of the pale ones. “Vohu will see you.” “Who is this... Vohu?” Mel'ash asked. His captor responded, “Vohu Manah is the leader of the Sidar Expeditionary Force.” The woman who smelled of mist approached. Mal'ash assumed that she was Vohu.

Vohu said, “Explain yourself. Who are you, and who do you serve?” “I am Mel'ash, servant of D'tesh, the eternal lord of this world. We are... willing to live in peace with your people, so long as we come to the... proper... understandings.” “Who is this D'tesh?” “Why, he is the greatest of all wizards, a man who, since the Age of Magic, has been granting eternal life to those... powerful enough, to take it.” Vohu examined Mel'ash. “Eternal life? No, I think your D'tesh offers only undeath. We cannot tolerate such abominations. We will cleanse your kind. Guards, dispose of this corpse!” The Sidar obeyed, rending Mel'ash before he even knew what was happening.

That's awesome, going to use it. :goodjob:

I've actually added the "Recon Units get Adventurer" trait as a CivTrait for the Austrin, branded "Wanderer". Having Harmatt/Heros start with a one shot immortal still sounds pretty solid for a trait though (given how annoying he is to kill anyway).

With a river creating spell, I'd rather you not have much control over it. Instead, that it would just spring randomly from your current location, trying to flow towards the sea.

Something else, now that I think about it. It's from something I'm working on but, on reflection, I'll not be using this particular bit. I see it being used for one Vohu Manah, a Sidar leader with the "cleanser" trait (grants all units Undead Slaying), a good alignment, and more aggression than her kin. The name is that of a Great Merchant; long story.
Spoiler Vohu Manah :
Mel'ash smelled them before he saw them. The living. But not Austrin. No, no, not Austrin at all. Austrin stank, dirtier than many animals. They stank of toil, of work, of the wilds. But these living... yes, they definitely smelled human. But what sort of human? There were workers and laborers, but they smelled cleaner than any Austrin could hope to. And there were other smells... perfumes, like those the Scions of the false Patria held so dear. But different sorts of perfumes. Foreign perfumes, from somewhere beyond the world known to D'tesh and his Legion.

So Mel'ash went forward, driven by a mixture of curiosity and greed. He's be rewarded well for bringing D'tesh a new supply of slaves. Soft, he reckoned they were from the smell. But they could be made useful in time. When he gazed out towards the newcomers, however, his confidence faltered. They were armed, yes, and armored. Leading them was a woman, a woman who smelled like mist. They were pale, as though dead, but they still smelled living. Slaves they would be. But those weapons... arms and armor Mel'ash had never seen before, in the hands of his kin or the Scions. They were dangerous, so very dangerous... perhaps, Mel'ash thought, he should speak with them. Deception and trickery, after all, where just as good as slaughter, though not half as fun. And Mel'ash could be mistaken for living, well enough anyways.

Mel'ash muttered a spell, to grant him the power of tongues. He then slipped out from his hiding place, approaching the foreigners. He was immediately surrounded by the pale men. Their swords, he noticed, were elegant, nothing like D'tesh's own glorified meat cleavers. An aesthetic people. They had also been placed at his throat, even though he'd been alone a second ago. “Come,” said one of the pale ones. “Vohu will see you.” “Who is this... Vohu?” Mel'ash asked. His captor responded, “Vohu Manah is the leader of the Sidar Expeditionary Force.” The woman who smelled of mist approached. Mal'ash assumed that she was Vohu.

Vohu said, “Explain yourself. Who are you, and who do you serve?” “I am Mel'ash, servant of D'tesh, the eternal lord of this world. We are... willing to live in peace with your people, so long as we come to the... proper... understandings.” “Who is this D'tesh?” “Why, he is the greatest of all wizards, a man who, since the Age of Magic, has been granting eternal life to those... powerful enough, to take it.” Vohu examined Mel'ash. “Eternal life? No, I think your D'tesh offers only undeath. We cannot tolerate such abominations. We will cleanse your kind. Guards, dispose of this corpse!” The Sidar obeyed, rending Mel'ash before he even knew what was happening.
Interesting. Might give me ideas... :p

About the gnolls: First, I should release them...

I just tried a quick game on "random leader" for the first time in a while, and ended up with Sauros. If you plan on making a goblin-centric leader for the Clan, Sauros will need to be moved to the Cualli like you mentioned a while back. Goblins with Poisoned Weapons are amazing. I don't think it would be possible to make a leader that uses them better without making them too good.

It's even a PITA to make rivers where you want them to be with Worldbuilder. I don't see a spell ever happening.

Yeah...I found where rivers are mentioned in the WB python. All looks like gibberish to me. If I'm understanding correctly riverside tiles are defined as being North or West of a river? If I was insane and wanted to define a plot as such by spell, what would the syntax be?

Top Bottom