Unicorn

Almagafor

Chieftain
Why, when I open RiFE, does the background for my main menu display a Unicorn? Please tell me where this came from and how to get back to the clockwork or anything else.

Thanks for the LOL! That thing really shocked me, fortunately, as per the princess rule, it will disappear shortly, I hope ...

Edit: and custom music too, that's Eeeeeeeeeeeevil...

I have folders of previous versions of the game and these have the normal menu screen when startup. I tried to open with internet disconnected and nothing, comes out the unicorn. I checked the recent changes in the registry and nothing, as usual. I checked with Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware, Nod32 (in my Laptop), Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, Malwarebytes and my whole arsenal available and nothing, I have not had any intrusion on my pc or rootkits or viruses or spy or anything. Of this I am sure that my pc has not entered anything malicious in the past year and a half since I learned the quasi perfect protective configuration of my computer. It would not be the first time someone angry with a game or its creators believe any virus that affects only the folders with the exact name of the game and so laughs at them. But my tools tell me that everything is exactly the same as yesterday, including the Windows registry. I watched the game files that control of the menus and music and they are exactly the same, by comparison with WinMerge. I also checked my files in documents and settings and My documents relating to the game and I think they are exactly the same.

Unless I've missed something, everything makes me think it's a joke in the patch 1.22.2 (the only version of the mod for now on my pc has been affected ) :lol:.

Really the only thing I can think of is that every time you start the mod like us to :dance:

EDIT: Confirmed? that was simple to check. Only by changing the date of my pc to 1 March the menu screen is the same as always.

Oh Noes, rickrolled again :wallbash:
Valkrionn, why!?!

Unicorn seems to only be included in latest update as I do not have it.

I have folders of previous versions of the game and these have the normal menu screen when startup. I tried to open with internet disconnected and nothing, comes out the unicorn. I checked the recent changes in the registry and nothing, as usual. I checked with Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware, Nod32 (in my Laptop), Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, Malwarebytes and my whole arsenal available and nothing, I have not had any intrusion on my pc or rootkits or viruses or spy or anything. Of this I am sure that my pc has not entered anything malicious in the past year and a half since I learned the quasi perfect protective configuration of my computer. It would not be the first time someone angry with a game or its creators believe any virus that affects only the folders with the exact name of the game and so laughs at them. But my tools tell me that everything is exactly the same as yesterday, including the Windows registry. I watched the game files that control of the menus and music and they are exactly the same, by comparison with WinMerge. I also checked my files in documents and settings and My documents relating to the game and I think they are exactly the same.

Unless I've missed something, everything makes me think it's a joke in the patch 1.22.2 (the only version of the mod for now on my pc has been affected ) :lol:.

Really the only thing I can think of is that every time you start the mod like us to :dance:

EDIT: Confirmed? that was simple to check. Only by changing the date of my pc to 1 March the menu screen is the same as always.

It is absolutely, 100% non-viral. ;)

I have to admit that it freaked me out a little to begin with.

I love a good prank :lol:

Yeah, got me, too. Congratulations, Valk, noone's stumped me with an April's Fool joke in over a decade.

Count me as one who was gotten... :p Nicely done!

(I didn't hear the music change, as I play with no sound routinely, but the unicorn was quite a surprise!)

Alright, now that the day has passed I'll comment on this for real. :p

For those who didn't see it, simply set your computer clock to April 1st; It will occur automatically. Year does not matter, and the code will be left in place; Expect the same next year. :p

For just the background, here's a spoiler image; Have to actually play to hear the music, a custom track. :lol:
Spoiler :

....Looks like a poodle and a unicorn created something horrible together....

Now for the credits:

• Got the art from Know Your Meme
  • Music is an edit of Akira Yamaoka "Promise(Reprise)" and Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up".
  • Original idea was my own.
  • Initial encouragement was provided by KillerClowns, as well as some #Erebus regulars.
  • Idea to hardcode the menu based on system date, rather than a patch with new xml, was Grey Fox's; He also showed me the software I used to edit the track.
  • Xienwolf showed me the correct way to hardcode the path; Needed to refer to an xml object, could not simply hardcode the folder path. Winmerge against ArtDefines_Interface and the Audio folder, not Civ4MainMenus. ;)
  • Odalrick provided the help I needed to get the time code working.
  • Everyone else with Team Forum access (Entire RifE team, and all Team Interns) for liking the idea and keeping it quiet, since March 2nd. :goodjob:

Top Bottom