RifE Launcher thread

arcticnightwolf

Emperor
DISCLAIMER
The software is provided "as is" with no warranty. The author cannot be held responsible for damages caused by the software.
(( it will be added in next version ))

Working version (19th Feb 2013)
now that Greyfox's website is down there one small mistake in the code that made the launcher crash when you tried to go to Module manager... anyway, it's fixed in this version:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/41052866/CIV4/RifELauncher_Fix.zip

I created this thread to keep RifE bug thread clean of this my little 3rd application bugs, errors, suggestions, whatever, and also because i don't have so much time like Valkrionn to check every thread in ffh forums

before you post any error bugs, check whether following files/folders and all with in them are NOT flagged as read-only: "/RifELauncher.exe.config", "/PrivateMaps", "/UnsupportedMaps", "/Assets/Modules", "/Assets/Inactive Modules"

".. NOTSET .." is default path value stored in config file, it should be gone next time you start launcher

attached file and screenshot are up to date to rev. 122
note: includes MPL and DataStorage example modules

changelog:
Spoiler :

rev# - change
101 - button texture stretch when system-wide DPI is different than default
104 - connection with wiki module database, comparing local and latest version, version.txt file
110 - conflict check
111 - info.txt file, [name], [author], [version], [rifeversion] and [dependency] tags
113 - [compatible] tag
117 - quick ini options (( like fullscreen toggle ))
118 - national characters
119 - [shortdesc] and [desc] tags
122 - backup ini file
124 - fixed empty line in info.txt files
125 - load last save
209 - tooltips
2?? - path to rife can be now forced by command-line argument
2?? - autorun ( program waits several seconds, and when it has no input, it launches the game / loads save ), can be set via command-line arguments - more information can be seen if you run "rifelauncher.exe /help"
251 - reorganised tool buttons ( civpedia, changing root address, etc )

in download thread you can download version 195, so changes made in later revisions won't be available right now
but you can always download development version from svn repository

in attachment there's "clean module folder structure" - you shouldn't need it, but in case you somehow lose the "Modules" folder in assets, it might come handy

Attachments

• RifEOverview.png
    RifEOverview.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,173
  • clean module folder structure.zip
    78 KB · Views: 333
Anw, evidently the issue some players are having with certain maps (ErebusContinent and WorldOfErebus, specifically) is a result of the launcher.

hello, new to the forum. and sorry for my bad english.

i have problem with mapscript not found for WorldOfErebus and erebusContinent. Other default map like pangaea and archipelago is fine. After some trying i can fix this with 2 ways:

• copy worldOfErebus and ErebusContinent py in rife privatemap to beyond the sword publicmap folder and play it trough launcher. or
  • create direct shortcut for rife and play trough it

not sure but it seem launcher make games search default public maps rather than rife privatemap
oh and i install my civilization into no-default folder.

If the maps load when placed in the BtS folder, or when left in the RifE privatemaps folder if you start the mod normally, the only thing left is the launcher. Not sure what it's doing.... My best bet is that the launcher trying to write to the folder is locking it up, preventing other programs from reading it?

Very nice work, anw. I mainly intend to use every module I have in every game, but if we need to check for bugs in them, your interface is so much easier to use than wrestling Windows' file navigation.

Don't know if this will help anyone else, but when I first installed 1.3, the launcher (desktop shortcut) did not work - I got the "NOTSET" error. However, I then launched the game from the file directly: (C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Rise from Erebus\RifELauncher.exe) and was able to run a quick Play Now using the World of Erebus mapscript. After that, the desktop shortcut has worked fine.

One odd thing I did see, even though it appears to be working for me correctly, looking in the .config file in the rife directory, it appears it still has not written the correct mod path to that file, not sure why. It still shows this in that file.

Code:
    <userSettings>
        <RifELauncher.Properties.Settings>
            <setting name="PathToCiv" serializeAs="String">
                <value>NOTSET</value>
            </setting>
        </RifELauncher.Properties.Settings>
    </userSettings>
</configuration>

Anw, evidently the issue some players are having with certain maps (ErebusContinent and WorldOfErebus, specifically) is a result of the launcher.

If the maps load when placed in the BtS folder, or when left in the RifE privatemaps folder if you start the mod normally, the only thing left is the launcher. Not sure what it's doing.... My best bet is that the launcher trying to write to the folder is locking it up, preventing other programs from reading it?

huh, that's strange, because launcher doesn't have any code to write into files, and file-moving only occurs in mapscript manager window, so this shouldn't happen ...
i'll try moving my civ installation out of default location to see if i can reproduce this

One odd thing I did see, even though it appears to be working for me correctly, looking in the .config file in the rife directory, it appears it still has not written the correct mod path to that file, not sure why. It still shows this in that file.

technically: if in .config file is "NOTSET", the program takes it's position to determine the path, so it's not error-generating problem, seems like it doesn't save this path into that config file

huh, that's strange, because launcher doesn't have any code to write into files, and file-moving only occurs in mapscript manager window, so this shouldn't happen ...
i'll try moving my civ installation out of default location to see if i can reproduce this

technically: if in .config file is "NOTSET", the program takes it's position to determine the path, so it's not error-generating problem, seems like it doesn't save this path into that config file

Yeah, I was just grasping for an explanation. :lol: I haven't looked through the code for it yet, so I'm not sure precisely how it works.

ANW not sure if this will help much with the Steam issue, but the shortcut I use to directly launch RIFE through Steam is "d:\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\beyond the sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" multiple mod="Mods\Rise from Erebus\". (I just found out how to do this by visiting the Steam CivIV forums.) Unfortunately the Steam version of CivIV makes it harder to directly launch a mod.
I tried to enter this into the change directory in your launcher but it told me there were illegal characters. :( (Probably the "" and = )

hmm ... i don't have Steam version, so someone have to tell me, how does mod shortcut look like, and whether it's even possible to do that ...

hmm ... i don't have Steam version, so someone have to tell me, how does mod shortcut look like, and whether it's even possible to do that ...

What do you mean by "how does mod shortcut look like"? (I'll try to help you with this if I can) I can tell you that sending "d:\steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\beyond the sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" multiple mod="Mods\Rise from Erebus\" through the 'run' command works as well, so is it possible to send a command through 'run' in VB.net?

I do have Steam installed in a non-standard directory as well (Although I'm sure you noticed this:)

I'm pretty sure this is the same issue that I mentioned to you, i.e. put quotes around the mod directory, because my shortcut for running the steam version is: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="\Rise from Erebus"

I'm not sure what "multiple" means in there. I believe what you're currently sending is: "Path\To\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod=\Rise from Erebus

So the only difference should be fixing the quotes around the mod directory. That shouldn't cause problems for anyone else that it's currently working for. I don't know if this is a Steam thing, a WinXP thing, or something else causing it, since not everyone has this issue.

To the OP, just put the path to your Civ4 executable in there, not the "arguments", by which I mean "mod=blahblahblah" (like I said, I don't know what multiple means there...). ANW's program automatically appends the mod directory, but if it doesn't work for you, you probably need the same fix that I do.

err ... multiple could mean allowing multiple instances of civilization process, but i'm not sure

right now the launch button runs "path/to/RifEFolder/../../Civ4BeyondSword.exe", so the program suppose that civilization executable is two levels above mod folder, and as argument is passed the " path="/Mods/Rise from Erebus" "
so if steam version the mod isn't in mods folder, than it would explain why it's not working

The mods folder *is* at /path/to/BTS/mods, but if you do "mod=", I'm pretty sure the program assumes the /mod part of the path. I'm not sure if it works equally well with or without /mod as part of the directory, but I could test it when I get home from work.

(edit: oops, used forward slashes... used to linux, only use windows for games and .net programming, most of which targets web apps, so again forward slashes... :) )

does your launches changes your ini settings randomly?

in my PC it does and it is very annoying because of it changes ini settings from BTS folder too...

more precisely, rife launcher restores original settings in spite of the fact that my preferred settings were OK:confused:

does your launches changes your ini settings randomly?

in my PC it does and it is very annoying because of it changes ini settings from BTS folder too...

more precisely, rife launcher restores original settings in spite of the fact that my preferred settings were OK:confused:

No. Occasionally when Civ4 closes incorrectly (which can happen if you just hit close, as opposed to exiting from the menu) it will wipe the ini settings. That's actually the reason the capability was added, we got tired of it. :lol:

FYI, the following arguments work for me:
mod="mods\Rise from Erebus"
mod="\Rise from Erebus"
mod="Rise from Erebus"

The following do not work for me:
mod="\mods\Rise from Erebus"
mod=Rise from Erebus (says "Mods\ise from Erebus \ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring")
mod= Rise from Erebus (says "Mods\Rise from Erebus \ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring")
(or really anything without quotes around the mod name - looks like some kind of off-by-one error in the Civ code... maybe it's WinXP, maybe it's the Steam version, maybe it's something else, but quotes seem to fix it and should presumably work for other versions as well)

using your Launcher, it says "Mods\Rise from Erebus \ is an invalid mod directory, ignoring", which together with looking at the decompiled code, leads me to believe that you are sending mod=\Rise from Erebus. Which if it was mod="\Rise from Erebus" would work for me, and probably for the OP as well.

I hope that was sufficiently thorough. :D

Top Bottom