Rise from Erebus 1.4 Bug Thread

I think that's because removing haunted lands is a task done by workers, now.

Ok, I did a search on this after the worker comment, and found a thread from 2010 on this same thing.

Workers can remove haunted lands? How exactly does that work? I made a new game and tried to see if it was an option and saw nothing.

Sorcery is a long time to wait. Plus the Khazad are kind of in trouble unless they go Esus or OO.

And yes, I've been playing Orbis a lot.

Odd. Dispel magic works, but even with every tech, my workers couldn't remove haunted lands. I blame anw.

So no one else having a problem actually starting the Mod with no error message whatsoever?

I installed in the correct folder, I can't get past the launcher. DirectX/Graphic Card 5700 HD radeon up to date.

Do other mods work fine for you? (not the ones included with the game, other mods you've downloaded).

Have you tried starting without the launcher?

I just ran a game and Yvain couldn't walk on the peaks. The in-game help says he can go through impassible terrain.

Is this a bug, or what is intended?

Other mods work fine, I tried with and without the launcher. Windows 7 is obviously loading something, but then just stops on it's own.

You might try this:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=439570

It really made a difference for me with Windows 7. Orbis still crashes, but not as much, plus it's much faster. The previous version of Rise from Erebus the same (though it crashed more than orbis), I've never played the current version of Rise without this change made.

How do you get combat odds now? Alt gives a load of info (not quite sure what info) but I can't find combat odds anywhere anymore. Is there an explanation of the new info that is provided?

I'd like for this contribution to be something of an introduction to the community for me. I have been a longtime lurker and I finally have the time to contribute. So hi.
Also, I am going to do the best I can with formatting, if anyone wants to help me out I'd appreciate it.

Build: Rise from Erebus v1.4 w/ RifE Religious Soundtracks v1.31 installed.
Dir: Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meiers's Civ4 BoTS/BoTs/Mods/Rise from Erebus

Bug List

AI Problems

• Barbarians, Scorpion Clan Goblins especially, seem to have some problems. They will attack anything that moves beside them, but rarely will they move deliberately at cities. Orcs from the "Savage" clan do not seem to have this problem.
  • Barbarians that spawn associated with goblin forts, lizzardmen ruins and a few others, that are not leashed, seem to also have problems moving towards or picking nearby cities to target. They will however move back and forth over their camps each turn aimlessly. The exception to this seems to be human bandits, demonic skeletons and some centaur villages.
  • Auto-improve behaves weirdly. I did some test by starting a new game and giving myself some workers then setting them to auto improve. With the starting city nearby, workers chose to build roads within the territory, not even workable plots first, then they attempted to improve resources that would give the city happiness/health, and then lastly did they begin to build non-resource improvements that the city could work. Ideally the priority would be: Workable resource improvements > workable improvements > non-workable resource improvements > roads all the things.
  • Dungeons do not appear to be spawning anything, not sure if that's intentional. However the AI definatly will not leave barbarians on dungeons to defend them anymore like they will with tribal villages.

Cosmetic

• Missing TXT_KEY_UNIT_MURIS_CLAN_LORD
  • Missing TXT_KEY_UNIT_MURIS_CLAN_SAPPER
  • Missing TXT_KEY_UNIT_MURIS_CLAN_WOLF_ARCHER
  • Missing TXT_KEY_UNIT_ASPIRANT
  • Missing TXT_KEY_UNIT_CUSTODIAN
  • Missing TXT_KEY_BUILDING_SHAPER_CABAL
  • Art Icon for resource Bison using the Cow art icon.
  • Improvements built on tiles that were once mountain peaks that have been lowered with the Earth's Bosom spell will occasionally float in the air as though they had been built on a peak. I think it has to do with if the workers are in the peak before it's turned into a hill.
  • Cities build on a flat tile that has been changed into a hill tile using the Earth's Bosom spell will appear inside the hill. A cool visual for the Khazad, but not so much for anyone else.
  • Healer great people don't have names or flavor messages. I.e. Healer12 has been born, yay.
  • Siege Workshop given too high an AI value. It's always "recommended" even in new cities without even walls.
  • Art missing for civ leaders Cuai-IXL and Veraato. Shows a big pink square.
  • Missing icon art for Mechanos Palace, big pink square issue here. Noticeable when hovering over a city and seeing the building list, which is now just icons. (I like this feature)
  • The WhiteHand religion uses the Order religion founding video.
  • Mechanos Techpriest, and perhaps other units as well, have two buttons for the inquisition ability. The second button displays a bunch of :TXT_KEY errors.
  • Missing/TXT_KEY error for Mechanos Grenadier unit strategy.
  • Missing unique dwarf Stonewarden model. (Not sure I should list this but FFH2 had them I figure it's worth mentioning)
  • Missing unique Calabim Adept, Mage, Archmage models. (Again, not sure about the inner-workings of the community, but I liked the models and then Calabim so I figure it's worth mention.
  • Pact of the NilHorn, TXT_KEY_STRAT error/missing
  • Missing TXT_KEY_DWARVEN_MINE_HELP
  • Khazad are the only race, by default, that can build Dwarven mines, correct? The model for the Dwarven mine/settlement/hall/fortress (Which I love btw) is very similar in artistic style and quality to the buildings, i.e. houses/village buildings, of the Luchuirp. By similar I mean almost identical in style. I suggest switching the city building models for the Khazad and Luchuirp so that the Dwarven mining race looks more complete. Also there appeared to be some grassy, green domed houses when you first found a Khazad city, that are quickly swapped for another model set. I suggest using the grassy green houses for the above ground Luchuirp Civ's in city houses, and hamlet/cottage/village/towns.
  • The health per turn %'s from march, first aid, vampirism, and blessed armor could be cleaned up into a flat %health per turn, this would save valuable space when trying to look at the stats high-level units have. As I mention in the documentation section, it becomes very difficult to view all the bonuses of extremely high level units, I suggest perhaps migrating this process to be part of the unit statistics page. This is a cosmetic note of my opinion, not so much a bug.
  • Missing art/model, strat/background, and proper name for TXT_KEY_UNIT_MURIS_CLAN_LORD, this results in my country being terrorized by a bright red ball.
  • Emergent leader trait change messages will display, such as "Khazad leader X has gained the Arcane trait!" even when a player declines to accept the trait.
  • Double messages for random events in the top middle of the screen text log. Occasionally this happens when an event is supposed to display another messaged based upon a choice made, I think. Such as the glowing tree random event. You will get the first message when the event pops up, then another when you select an option for it.
  • Missing TXT_KEY_PROMOTION_HUNTERS_PRIZE
  • Missing TXT_KEY_MISC_SHIFT_ALT_PREPARE_WAR
  • Couldn't find sound file Sounds/Rune/Rune3.
    • While we're here, there seems to be a number of sounds missing. I do have the extra sound pack installed,(correctly I believe) yet I have noticed some of the more iconic music from FFH2 has gone missing. Such as the music that plays whenever you're in a the trade window with another player, the civ specific music such as the unforgettable Hippus or Lanun music.

Documentation

• The Imperialist trait causes new cities you found to start off at culture level 2 (Fledgling), I'm pretty sure. This isn't mentioned anywhere.
  • Earth's Bosom ability, No idea what it does. It doesn't say anywhere. My guess is it makes the caster grope a mountain.
  • Command range. I read on the forums and the wiki that commanders have a limit to the range they grant bonuses, yet for the life of me, I can not seem to find anywhere in game where that would appear on a commander, if in fact it still exist. For that matter if a commander gives any bonuses other than the promotion ones I can't find where that is displayed either.
  • Emergent leaders. I had to do some hunting on the forums to figure out what exactly was going on here. In game there is only a little chevron next to the player's name that indicates what's going on. As best I can tell the chevron changes when a leader gains a trait, but there is nothing in game that gives any clue as to what that does.
    • On a similar note, when a leader is being prompted to gain a trait it would be nice if, when you are mousing over the "gain trait x" button to be given a brief description exactly what that trait does.
  • There exist no documentation indicating that farms give a chance to discover some resources, but I am almost positive they do.
  • The Mechanos factory gives %5:hammers: with Refined Mana. As they start out with a single Refined mana it leads me to believe the ability is supposed to be "+%5:hammers: per refined mana" like an affinity. Otherwise it would just need to be a flat +%5:hammers: unless it has something to do with if the city is connected to the capitol. Perhaps I am just over thinking this but it seems unclear to me.
  • Some units have a refined mana affinity, however there is no apparent documentation if they are actually getting a bonus, or if so how much of a bonus.
  • Takes % less collateral damage; in situations where a unit has greater than 100% less collateral damage is it going to heal me? If a unit would take 200% less collateral damage and they took 10 collateral damage would they gain 10 life? The way it's worded now would seem to imply this sort of relationship, though I highly doubt that's how it works or how it was intended to be.
  • There's no in game documentation that would indicate one guild would remove another from a city, nor is there any warning.:(
  • Some stats don't show up at all when hovering over a unit. Such as:
    • Defensive Strike chance and damage
    • Defensive Strength %
    • Spell Resist %
    • Resistance to X damage type
    I remember in FFH2 having extremely high level units where it became impossible to read much of the stats from them as hovering over them would give you a large paragraph of text that would extend past the top of the screen. If this is in someway a move to account for that, let me suggest an alternative; the unit statistics window right now is a cool feature but if you could migrate the function of showing unit promotions and bonuses to this window it would probably fix both problems.
  • Either incorrect documentation or buggy abilities. There are a few promotions that come from the lovely master blacksmith/Fletcher/ect. buildings that claim they "promotion will be lost if the unit acquires bronze/iron/mithral type of weapons" This does not happen for the majority of those promotions.

Not Sure if Bug, Or Just New Feature

• Barbarians will occasionally Spawn in Mountains (peaks) and not be able to move unless there is normal land adjacent to them. I thought this was a feature at first when I saw some bears chilling up there. However I have since then spent an entire game where Orthus was trapped in the mountains next to my city.
    • While we're on the topic of Orthus, I have some concerns about his recent behavior. The Orthus I remember and feared would spawn and B-line towards the nearest player's city, usually killing me. The new Orthus however seems more reserved, if confused. I have played games where he spawns then runs through my territory, completely ignoring me, to go and sit in a barbarian city. Then I've played other games where he just meanders around out in the wilderness only ever attacking something if it's right next to him. I suspect this shares the problem with a number of other barbarian units I mentioned in the AI section and the cause is something to do with the faction's behavior, perhaps? However there is now a new little cousin of Orthus, Zarcaz the long-sighted, which doesn't display any of Orthus's new teenaged angst, and happily charges right at my cities with his merry band of goblins, usually killing me. I happen to rather like this new barbarian hero, he is something to be fearful of in the early game and happens to drop a very good bow should you kill him.
  • If you build a fort and then build a city on it you will keep the commander in that city. It makes for a pretty cool method of expansion, and you get a free siege unit to defend your city when you found it, but I can't help thinking that isn't working as intended.
  • The WhiteHand religion can still be researched and even founded by some civs that can not normally research any religions, such as the Mechanos.
  • Frostlings can only survive on Tundra, Snow, and Frost tiles. They will die on Glacial tiles. Not sure if that is working as intended, took forever to figure out.
  • The Subdue animal/beast promotions don't appear to be working, perhaps I am just missing something? Every animal I have tried to capture has belonged to the Cernunnos faction, maybe that's my problem.
  • The Guardsman promotion greatly reduces a unit's chance to defend the stack. This is highly annoying.
  • The Influence promotion that fort commanders have greatly increases their chance to defend the stack, instead of reduces as the promotion indicates. This is also highly annoying.
  • Auto-explore behaves weirdly. At first I thought there was some new system to where units exploring would find a buddy to explore with, and that might have been the intention, but weird things happen when using auto explore. Such as setting a Mechanos Adeptus to auto-explore when he's surrounded by darkness in another player's territory then having him run all the way back, through the part already explore, go to one of my cities with an adeptus fortifying in there, then apparently grouping with him and removing the auto explore command.

I tried it again with a horseman, I moved him to the edge of what I had explored then told him to auto-explore, he moves away from the unexplored area, back into my territory, into a city, then groups with an commander unit and removes the auto-explore making his new group awaiting my orders.

In addition to that, I have noticed scouts are reluctant to move through a neighbor's land even when you have open borders.

Events

• The "An experienced traveler has just arrived at your palace. For a little fee he can tell you one story" event has several options, none of them do anything other than take your gold.
  • "There has been a recent surge of promising young scholars wishing to study science, magic, and the arcane." Three of the options the require gold are always unselectable even with the required amounts of gold. If there are other requirements for them, they aren't listed correctly.

I will try to keep this updated as much as possible, and I'll see if I can't find some neat formatting trick to keep track of the bugs as I find them.

Look forward to getting to know you all.

Not sure which part of this is the bug but: The fortress line benefit that provides +x% bonus to units within x tiles does either

1. Not do anything or
2. Not show up in combat odds

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized that the wording is misleading. This provides a defensive strength bonus, not a strength bonus.

My adept can use Spring like it's Vitalize, changing plains into grasslands.

Also, how does Fertility work? On what tile do you need to cast it: the resource? It isn't selectable for me.

Spring changes other stuff as well. It changes some tundra to grassland and forests.

It also turns stuff into wetlands and swamps.

If you cast it on something arid it becomes temperate. Some tundra tiles it changes to forest, but I haven't figured out what the difference is, because it changes some to wetlands.

I think you can change anything to wetlands, because it seems like you can cast it over and over. I'd have to fire up a game with a civ with water mana to check, but I think my memory is correct.

• Barbarians, Scorpion Clan Goblins especially, seem to have some problems. They will attack anything that moves beside them, but rarely will they move deliberately at cities. Orcs from the "Savage" clan do not seem to have this problem.
  • Dungeons do not appear to be spawning anything, not sure if that's intentional. However the AI definatly will not leave barbarians on dungeons to defend them anymore like they will with tribal villages.

• Barbarians that spawn associated with goblin forts, lizzardmen ruins and a few others, that are not leashed, seem to also have problems moving towards or picking nearby cities to target. They will however move back and forth over their camps each turn aimlessly. The exception to this seems to be human bandits, demonic skeletons and some centaur villages.

I've seen this too. At least I've seen odd behavior on the part of the mobs.

• Missing art/model, strat/background, and proper name for TXT_KEY_UNIT_MURIS_CLAN_LORD, this results in my country being terrorized by a bright red ball.

Seen it. At least they haven't had the wolf riders with them this time.

• Khazad are the only race, by default, that can build Dwarven mines, correct? The model for the Dwarven mine/settlement/hall/fortress (Which I love btw) is very similar in artistic style and quality to the buildings, i.e. houses/village buildings, of the Luchuirp. By similar I mean almost identical in style. I suggest switching the city building models for the Khazad and Luchuirp so that the Dwarven mining race looks more complete. Also there appeared to be some grassy, green domed houses when you first found a Khazad city, that are quickly swapped for another model set. I suggest using the grassy green houses for the above ground Luchuirp Civ's in city houses, and hamlet/cottage/village/towns.

Soldiers of Kilimorphe can build them too. I think they are usable by any Runes following civ by intent now.

• Earth's Bosom ability, No idea what it does. It doesn't say anywhere. My guess is it makes the caster grope a mountain.

It levels mountains, and makes flatland into hills. Only problem is you have to be able to get onto the mountain to level it. I've been using the wyrmfisher with the cargo crew to put a Stonewarden up there. Dwarves can climb peaks in this mod, so no problems for them. If you aren't kuriotates, and you want to use this feature, you can maybe buy a flying vessel from them or the Mechanos. Otherwise if you are a runes civ, I guess you could capture a dwarven priest somehow and he wouldn't desert you.

Austrin might be able to get up there somehow too. I'd have to look at them again.

• While we're on the topic of Orthus, I have some concerns about his recent behavior. The Orthus I remember and feared would spawn and B-line towards the nearest player's city, usually killing me. The new Orthus however seems more reserved, if confused. I have played games where he spawns then runs through my territory, completely ignoring me, to go and sit in a barbarian city. Then I've played other games where he just meanders around out in the wilderness only ever attacking something if it's right next to him. I suspect this shares the problem with a number of other barbarian units I mentioned in the AI section and the cause is something to do with the faction's behavior, perhaps? However there is now a new little cousin of Orthus, Zarcaz the long-sighted, which doesn't display any of Orthus's new teenaged angst, and happily charges right at my cities with his merry band of goblins, usually killing me. I happen to rather like this new barbarian hero, he is something to be fearful of in the early game and happens to drop a very good bow should you kill him.
[/LIST]

Seen this too. Maybe Orthus is now aware of just how much his axe is worth.

• Auto-explore behaves weirdly. At first I thought there was some new system to where units exploring would find a buddy to explore with, and that might have been the intention, but weird things happen when using auto explore. Such as setting a Mechanos Adeptus to auto-explore when he's surrounded by darkness in another player's territory then having him run all the way back, through the part already explore, go to one of my cities with an adeptus fortifying in there, then apparently grouping with him and removing the auto explore command.

I tried it again with a horseman, I moved him to the edge of what I had explored then told him to auto-explore, he moves away from the unexplored area, back into my territory, into a city, then groups with an commander unit and removes the auto-explore making his new group awaiting my orders.

In addition to that, I have noticed scouts are reluctant to move through a neighbor's land even when you have open borders.

I have seen similar things. Also some weird thing where scouts continually run back and forth between the same two points. I've seen workers do it too. I have to tell them to go or do something specific, then usually they will follow the auto orders.​

But then what does Vitalize do?

Also, the flavor text for diplomacy is messed up. In vanilla FfH, leaders almost always used their flavor text in diplomacy. Now, it's very rare, even among the civs not added.

Some small problems with the Archos. They are hopefully easily fixed.
  • Priests get +1:science:, but settled prophets don't.
  • The Archos are the only civ that only gets two resorces for the capital (nature and chaos). I suggest sun mana or silk as the third.
  • Baby spiders have a chance of randomly becoming spiders, but scorpions have no such opportunity. I do not know which is the bug, but I know I would like stronger scorpions.

Top Bottom