What do you want to see in RiFE or Ashes?

Something new I'd like to see in AoE: nerf the hell out of the Diakonos unit. My last two games they've been playing merry hell with my empires, instantly rendering all of my hunters and scouts lost and even costing me a Citadel in my current run when one passed by it and my fort commander proceeded to wander off into Sheiam territory. I've taken to deforesting everything in the hopes of getting them to stay away from my cities in my current game, and I'm playing FoS Ljosalfar.

What would really make this game complete for me is some better AI. As satisfying as the uniqueness of this game is and how in depth you are able to specialize your civ(I really enjoy playing Grigori), it all peters out by mid game because even on higher difficulties, when playing with aggressive AI, the enemy civs never invade and attempt to attack a city. In a way, I'd rather play a solo game against a horde of barbarians because they are the only real threat I've faced. You mention looking into the MNAI, and I remember that actually being fairly challenging. However, after playing Grigori with a separate Adventurer counter, it's hard going back to FFH2. Bare minimum, is there anything I can do to modify the AI aggression in the XML?

An Aquatic Race might be neat, though I'd imagine it'd be hard to pull off, they start in the ocean and have to research the same tech, [sailing optics ect] under a different name to get on land. This also might be to hard to balance, but it'd be a very very interesting play style to say the least.

Liking some of the ideas and tweaks here, but I'm with Bayona that the greatest letdown most of my games is the enemy AI and lack of aggressiveness.

More content and fixes is nice, but I'd welcome AI work first. Maybe also encourage AI civs to form more alliances/axis as well.

Also wouldn't mind some map script tweaking. Such as maybe putting in a number of continents selection for Erebus Continent map? I think I remember it used to have a setting for that.

An Aquatic Race might be neat, though I'd imagine it'd be hard to pull off, they start in the ocean and have to research the same tech, [sailing optics ect] under a different name to get on land. This also might be to hard to balance, but it'd be a very very interesting play style to say the least.

Perhaps the the original team might be able to help here. There was an aquatic civ or two being planned for RiFE, so maybe they still have some design notes floating around.

We had some ideas, yes. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure the notes for them were lost when the greyfox.me forums went down. I'll have a look around the mindmaps for them just in case though.

Edit: Nope, none that I can see. The only one who'll have anything solid on them would be Valkrionn, I guess.

I really hope he does; I was looking forward to finding out how an aquatic civ would work.

I think the big reason they never made it in was just that - they wouldn't have worked. The AI has enough difficulties with naval warfare as it is; imagine them trying to invade a city on the oceans. Also, with naval strengths being what they are, starting out there wouldn't be all that pleasant either.

And then there's the slight issue of attacking cities that you can't reach with normal troops...

A lot of issues there to overcome, and we never had the time to really dig into them.

Well, darn. Although, now that I think about it, I can't help but imagine a rather indignant Falamar reacting to the civ being added to the game.

If better AI is the main thing that people want from RifE, then playing MNAI instead seems like a simple solution. Obviously that's not the answer for people who are posting here so the real question is what are the core features of RifE that make you want to play it instead of MNAI? I suspect it will prove difficult to improve the AI to allow for all of RifE's features, without excessive processing time. If the game can be focused on just the key elements that attract people to RifE, then improving the AI is a (slightly) more manageable task.

To tamper with the AI aggression, take a look in CIV4LeaderHeadInfos and play around with
<iMaxWarRand>0</iMaxWarRand>
<iMaxWarNearbyPowerRatio>0</iMaxWarNearbyPowerRatio>
<iMaxWarDistantPowerRatio>0</iMaxWarDistantPowerRatio>
<iMaxWarMinAdjacentLandPercent>0</iMaxWarMinAdjacentLandPercent>
<iLimitedWarRand>0</iLimitedWarRand>
<iLimitedWarPowerRatio>0</iLimitedWarPowerRatio>
<iDogpileWarRand>0</iDogpileWarRand>
<iMakePeaceRand>0</iMakePeaceRand>
<iDeclareWarTradeRand>0</iDeclareWarTradeRand>
<iDemandRebukedSneakProb>0</iDemandRebukedSneakProb>
<iDemandRebukedWarProb>0</iDemandRebukedWarProb>
<iRazeCityProb>10</iRazeCityProb>
<iBuildUnitProb>45</iBuildUnitProb>
<iBaseAttackOddsChange>0</iBaseAttackOddsChange>
<iAttackOddsChangeRand>20</iAttackOddsChangeRand>

You can mess with the diplomacy parameters in there as well to make the leaders of Erebus a bit less amicable.

People have already mentioned the lack of AI aggressiveness but to me that wouldn't be so bad if the AI could mount a proper defense in the first place. An army with ten fireball mages could slaughter its way through a civilization except for perhaps the clan of embers who have fire resistance. I think one way to fix this is for the AI to have their own mages. The AI in this game seem to want to have as little to do with magic as possible for some reason. Perhaps make sorcery more of a priority for them?

i am happy with the mod as it stands at the moment, i just wish i could figure out how to fix the out of syncs in multiplayer from happening 2 turns after reloading a OOS save

Top Bottom