A Complete Guide to Achievements (Civ V)

I got this achievement playing my first game as Japan the other day without even trying.

I don't think it's as hard as you think it is.

I can't say how hard it is because I earned it very early on, before I started the guide. Back then I was a bit reckless, and sending a samurai to attack with only 1 HP is precisely the kind of thing I'd do. It's really not a hard achievement, it's getting down to 1 HP that can be tricky.

So now that Brave New World is announced, there's probably going to be a flood of new achievements coming up. I think the guide is pretty complete for now (I'll still do updates if there's any mistakes or anything), so I want to focus on redoing the formatting and editing instead of maintaining the guide, so when Brave New World's achievements are announced. Which probably means starting a new thread, because I will need more room. It's already pushing the character limit as is.

I can't say how hard it is because I earned it very early on, before I started the guide. Back then I was a bit reckless, and sending a samurai to attack with only 1 HP is precisely the kind of thing I'd do. It's really not a hard achievement, it's getting down to 1 HP that can be tricky.

I did it with g+k, although i didn't pay attention to the exact numbers i am certain i had over 1hp both before and after i attacked.

I had someone test out the Magellan achievement for me, seems to be working. I need to ask him some questions to make sure, but I'm probably going to take it off the broken list.

Hmm...did you win, or did China?

I get a points win 24k points china 12k and japan 7k. But the you lost screen pops up.

I get scenario win as Korea, scenario lose as Korea, scenario win on deity and global win on deity.

But NOT global win as Korea.

I get a points win 24k points china 12k and japan 7k. But the you lost screen pops up.

I get scenario win as Korea, scenario lose as Korea, scenario win on deity and global win on deity.

But NOT global win as Korea.

There's currently a bug in both Korea & Fall of Rome in which the defeat screen always shows up if playing a cooperative civ, but its independent of those achievements which appear to still use the correct logic. (If playing either Korea or China in Korea or either Rome in Fall of Rome; you'll get the time-loss screen if your team wins.) I'm not sure when this was introduced, because in case of the Korean scenario this used to work correctly.

And Yup; winning as Korea in the scenario doesn't count for the separate win as Korea achievement. For that you'll need to play the base game as Korea.

The achievement "Barbarian Warlord" can also be done by playing Manchu in the Korea Szenario( here the barbarians will join your army with a chanche of 100%) by converting 10 barbarian camps, although it says you have to do it as Bismarck.

The achievement "Barbarian Warlord" can also be done by playing Manchu in the Korea Szenario( here the barbarians will join your army with a chanche of 100%) by converting 10 barbarian camps, although it says you have to do it as Bismarck.

Seems a few of the unique achievements can be unlocked by scenario civilizations. Seems to happen enough that it's hard to keep track of.

Just wanted to post an update on what I've been doing with the guide lately. I've been looking into other ways to present it instead of a long forum post, and I've settled on a wiki after trying different ideas out. So I've been setting up a searchable wiki version of the guide, and once I get the basic form down, I'll post a link.

I want to expand the guide beyond just a description of achievements to include strategies and possibly links to achievement saves. All the culture references and trivia stuff will be on the achievement's page. There is also an index page which is similar to the current version of the guide.

So I could use some help editing and writing the guide once it's ready. One thing it could really use is visuals, I'm not a graphics-minded person.

On another note, just found a list of Brave New World achievements, and I'll be adding those in... http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12424312&postcount=67

Alright, I have organized the Brave New World achievements into categories now. This is what I know so far:

Leader Achievements:

In Hoc Signo Vinces - Beat the game on any difficulty as Maria I.
King of the Wisent- Beat the game on any difficulty as Casimir.
Pedro's Party People - Beat the game on any difficulty as Pedro II.
Tablet Tech Pioneer - Beat the game on any difficulty as Ashurbanipal
Wanna Be the King of the Zulus - Beat the game on any difficulty as Shaka.
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_26 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_26
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_27 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_27
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_30 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_30
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_145_31 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_145_31

Ideology Victory Achievements

Axis Powered - Win a Diplomatic Victory using the Autocracy Ideology.
Better Red Than Dead - Win a Conquest Victory using the Order Ideology.
Everybody Wants to Rule the World - Win a Conquest Victory using the Autocracy Ideology.
Games Without Frontiers - Win a Diplomatic Victory using the Freedom Ideology.
One Small Step - Win a Space Victory using the Freedom Ideology.
Rocking in the Free World - Win a Cultural Victory using the Freedom Ideology.
Strength Through Joy - Win a Cultural Victory using the Autocracy Ideology.
Workers of the World - Unite! - Win a Cultural Victory using the Order Ideology.
Yuri-ka! - Win a Space Victory using the Order Ideology.

Civilization-Specific Achievements:

British Invasion - Perform a Concert Tour with a British Great Musician in American territory.
Knowledge is Power - As Assyria, use a Royal Library filled with a Great Work to train a unit that begins with a promotion.
Poland Can into Space - As Poland, win a Space Victory.
Pyramid Scheme - Playing as France, get the Louvre to the maximum theming bonus of 16.
Raiders of the Lost Ark - Have your American Archaeologist extract an Artifact from Egypt with a German Archaeologist within 2 tiles.
Run 50 Miles and Fight a Battle - As Zulu, have an Impi earn all of the special promotions.
Vote for Pedro - As Brazil, win a Diplomatic Victory.
What's Yours is Mine - As Portugal, construct a Feitoria in a City-State that is allied to another civilization.

NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_147_12 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_147_12
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_147_13 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_147_13
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_147_16 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_147_16
NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_147_17 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_147_17

General Achievements:
Built in (Almost) a Day - Complete a Wonder in a city with three Trade Routes supplying production to it.
Greed is Good - Have a city with the Colossus, Petra, a Caravansary, and a Harbor.
Highway Robbery - Plunder a Caravan Trade Route.
It Belongs in a Museum - Have Artifacts from 10 different City-States in the Museums and Wonders in your civilization.
Losing My Marbles - Extract 5 Artifacts from the territory of another major civilization.
Merchant Prince - Generate 200 gold per turn via Trade Routes.
Radio Free Europe - Adopt the Freedom Ideology and fill 10 Broadcast Towers with Great Works.
Silk Road - Connect to the Arabs, China, India, the Mongols, and Persia at the same time using Caravans.
Soma Tablets for Everyone - Reach a Happiness level of over 100 for your civ.
Tear Down this Wall! - Force an AI player with the Order Ideology to switch to Freedom.
That's XCOM baby! - Have your XCOM Squad go from 100 health to 0 in a single AI turn.

NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_NAME_147_28 - NEW_ACHIEVEMENT_DESC_147_28

World Congress Achievements:
Dark Horse - Win a Diplomatic Victory without ever being the host of the World Congress.
Flip-Flop - Propose to repeal an active Resolution which you had originally proposed to enact.
Herculean Effort - Complete all International Projects in a single game as the highest contributor.
Lingua Franca - Found the World Congress and remain its host for the entire game.

Policy Achievements:

Artistic License - Fully explore the Aesthetics Policy track.
Legends of the Hidden Temple - Fully explore the Exploration Policy track.

Scenario: Scramble for Africa

Discoverer - Playing as Italy in Scramble for Africa, earn the VP for finding two Natural Wonders.
Dr Livingstone I presume? - Playing as Belgium, move your Stanley Explorer to within a tile of England’s Livingstone Explorer.
I Prefer my Africa Scrambled - Win the Scramble for Africa scenario as any civ on any difficulty.
Nigerian Bank Account - In Scramble for Africa, marry Sokoto or Bornu.
Ottoman Carpentry - Win the Scramble for Africa playing as the Ottomans on Deity.
Praise the Victories - Win the Scramble for Africa playing as the Boers on Deity.
The Rhodes Colossus - Playing as England in Scramble for Africa, complete a railroad from Cairo to Capetown.

Scenario: The American Civil War

Glory, glory, hallelujah! - Win the Civil War scenario playing as the Union.
Pickett's Recharge - Capture Gettysburg with a Confederate Infantry unit possessing the George Pickett promotion.
Red Badge of Courage - Win the Civil War scenario on Deity.
Sheridan's Valley Campaign - As Union, control Winchester, Front Royal, Harrisonburg, Staunton, and Lynchburg.
Standing like a Stone Wall - Win the Civil War scenario playing as the Confederates.

----

Culture references (this is just off the top of my head):

Better Red Than Dead - A play on the "Better dead than red" anti-communism slogan.

British Invasion - A musical movement in the early and mid-60's, most famous for The Beatles.

Built In (Almost) A Day- Probably a take on the phrase Rome wasn't built in a day.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World - a song by Tears for Fears.

Flip-Flop - A political term for someone changing their position for political gain.

Games Without Frontiers - a song by Peter Gabriel.

Greed Is Good - A quote from Wall Street.

It Belongs In A Museum - A line said several times in the beginning of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade.

One Small Step - Some of the words Neil Armstrong spoke when first walking on the moon.

Raiders of The Lost Ark - The first Indiana Jones movie.

Rocking In The Free World - A song by Neil Young.

Tear Down This Wall! - A historic quote spoken by Ronald Reagan about the Berlin Wall.

Vote For Pedro - A phrase associated with Napoleon Dynamite.

The one named "Poland can into space" is a reference to Polandball which is a webcomic character.

Soma Tablets For Everyone is from Brave New World. Soma is the drug the government uses to keep the populace complacent.

Yuri-ka is a reference to Yuri Gagarin, the first human in space.

Red Badge of Courage is a novel about the Civil War.

Standing Like a Stone Wall refers to Stonewall Jackson, a famous Confederate general.

"Losing My Marbles" probably refers to the Elgin Marbles, a famous Grecian artifact from the Parthenon brought to England by the Earl of Elgin and currently displayed in the British Museum.

"Nigerian Bank Account" refers to a well-known Internet scam used to fish for bank account numbers.

"Red Badge of Courage" is a novel by Stephen Crane (note how Arachnofiend didn't say the author. You gotta be specific!)

Everybody Wants To Rule The World - a song by Tears for Fears.

Title 'borrowed' from a line in 'Charlie Don't Surf', a Clash song written by Joe Strummer.

Pedro's Party People - Beat the game on any difficulty as Pedro II.

Actually a reference to our own forum, see the related thread in the BNW section.

Strength Through Joy - Win a Cultural Victory using the Autocracy Ideology.

It's the name of the Nazi's leisure organization, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_Through_Joy

Workers of the World - Unite! - Win a Cultural Victory using the Order Ideology.

Quote by Karl Marx himself, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workers_of_the_world,_unite!

Knowledge is Power - As Assyria, use a Royal Library filled with a Great Work to train a unit that begins with a promotion.

That one is easy, but I don't see the connection to Assyria o_O.

Top Bottom