HoTK Fantasy modmod planning/recruitment

LordFireclaw

Chieftain
HoTK Fantasy modmod planning/recruitment

Hello. I’m a longtime lurker on these forums, only just having gotten up to make an account on here. I’m a fairly good Civilization player, particularly to IV, and have been playing since the release of the Warlords expansion. I own and sometimes play Civ V but prefer IV by far, not the least because of the amazing mods created for it by this community.

Enough about me, this post is mostly about a mod I’ve been working on- actually, that’s a little misleading- more like a modmod I had an idea for a while ago but didn’t feel I had the capability to make. This modmod is essentially a fantasy mod inspired by and based on the History of Three Kingdoms mod.

The idea is to build a collaborative modding team with equal say on the storyline and ideas. I strongly believe that if people find this idea a good one and would like to work on it, they should have a say in what the project is. So while I have a basic storyline sketched out and several conceptual civs. I think that since the only way this will succeed is if other modders are interested in this idea, they deserve a strong voice in what this mod is about.

The mod would be based heavily off the HoTK mod, with civs making and breaking alliances, all believing (or pretending) they serve the will of a powerless emperor. Meanwhile other civilizations, both nomadic tribes and inhuman barbarians press in from all sides on the embattled empire. You play as one of these small warlord kingdoms, attempting to build your legitimacy while the world around the player descends into a war of intrigue, suspicion, and often open violence.

Originally this modmod was planned to be based around FfH2, with a few HoTK concepts. However, the FfH2 engine is complicated and doesn't fit the aims of this modmod as well as HoTK.

Features:

Spoiler :
This modmod will include all of the core concepts of HoTK, such as heroes, new civics, the new religion mechanic, and emperor concept. However, rather than being set in the three kingdoms period this modmod will be set in a fantasy world with parallels to both the three kingdoms period and the ancient middle east. I'm currently working on

I have a complex history of this world currently being sketched out, and if this project gets off the ground it will have overhauled civilizations.

CORE MOD CONCEPTS:

Merge in of two FFH features:

The two FfH2 features that will be merged into the main HoTK SDK and python will be the summonable civs and world spells. The rest of the mod's core dll will remain pure HoTK, with a new map, random events, civs, and other XML-related changes.

List of current civs planned to be in the mod (will be updated in more detail later):

The remnants of Anar: The Anaren Empire ruled the north of the continent for centuries before it began to descend into anarchy near the start of this mod. The largest group of civs will be the rebels from the remnants of Anar, some who wish to restore the unity of the empire and others who would see it torn apart. It is the Anaren Emperor who will based on the "emperor" concept from HoTK, and the old empire will be divided into a large group of scattered civs at war.

White Court: One of the ancient shapeshifting clans of the ancient mythology who wish to claim rule over Anar in the wake of the kingdoms' collapse. The "shapeshifting" ancient races actually cannot all change shape, but are quasi-mythological and are the only civs that can cast World Spells. The White Court are based off the Amurite civ code, while their leader's traits are based off Auric Ulvin's code. Their world spell will be arcane lacuna or something similar. While they have great magical potential, they are weaker in sheer force of arms than some of the other factions at first.

Dagra: An empire to the south of Anar torn apart by civil war with the Dagran rebels and the Black citadel civ.

Black Citadel Civilization: No official name as of yet, these are the remnants of the Red Court (vampires) and their human allies who rule a coastal empire in the land of Dagra. Once the subjects of the Dagran ruler, now they fight as a third faction against the reestablished Dagran kingdom and the Dagran rebels. Starts at war with Dagra and with Skaraan, another human kingdom. In a temporary alliance with the Dagran rebels. Based on the Calabim, their world spell will have something to do with fire, though.

Dagran Rebels: A group of disparate rebels under the command of a younger son of the king of Dagra. After killing off all possible competition he is the sole ruler of the rebel armies and the only challenger other than the black citadel civ. Poised to overrun the kingdom of Skaraan.

Skaraan: AI-only civ to the south of Anar. Will be overrun quickly either by Dagran rebels or by the black citadel civilization.

The Cheng Xiezhi: A feared league of pirates that start at peace with the barbarians and have unparalleled naval control. Based on Lanun, but will be more aggressive. Their capital city is invisible and can only be revealed if one of their more powerful ships is sunk by another player. The event that follows will allow the player to attain a map that will reveal the city to them if they can find it, otherwise it will appear to be an empty ocean tile. They will have invisible ships (Ghost Ships) that can pass unseen through other players and are only visible when attacking as a national unit, and all of their ship units and a few of their land ones have hidden nationality, allowing them to attack almost any coastal civ.

Map:

I’m currently working on the first version of the map using the bmp to wbs converter. I’m not too far into it, by busy schedule may have something to do with that, but I think most of the concepts insofar as the map and things go will remain FH2 style and don’t need much editing.

All new storyline:

Currently being planned, if I recruit other team members they'll have as much a say in the storyline as I do.

More random events:

I’d like to get random events to occur very frequently in this. The overhauled random events would include countless storyline-related tidbits and some that are simply random occurrences, but all of which I think would add to the flavor of this mod.

Modifications to the Tech Tree:

Of course.

Monsters, barbarians, and other aesthetics:

Pretty self-explanatory, maybe change the designs of certain things to have a more oriental (e.g. China, Mongolia, Bactria, Japan-esque feel). I'll probably be importing some units from Fall from Heaven 2.

Summonable civs:

Currently two being planned, based on the summonable civs mechanic from FfH2.

Project Plans:

CURRENT PROBLEM:

The future of this modmod is probably dependent on recruiting a more experienced SDK modder, because I don't have the capabilities of modding SDK myself. the core C++ and some python is beyond my capabilities. Before work on this can progress, I'd need help merging two FfH2 features into the core HoTK dll. For more information see here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=480993. The first step in this modmod will be merging those two features (world spells and summonable civilizations) into HoTK's core dll. From that base the rest of the modmod will be built.

RECRUITMENT:

If this project gets off the ground, this will be a collaborative mod, not something I’d do on my own. Please post here or PM me if you are interested in joining the team, or if you'd like to help out temporarily with the SDK problem.

Currently wanted for this project (though I can do all the coding other than the SDK merge on my own):

*Experienced SDK modder who can mod in two features from Fall from Heaven 2: how to make civilizations summonable and the entire world spell mechanic. For more info see here:
*Anyone who can help modding XML, including unit names, graphics, hero names, the tech tree, and so on. (I can do all of this modding alone if there's little interest in the mod, but any help would be appreciated).
*Writers are welcome as well!

That's all for now, any feedback is appreciated.

Bump.
Too bad this did not went forward. This mod does not deserve to be "dead".

second horatius... this is a great mod, would love to see continued development

Top Bottom