The Vault Dev. Canteen (General Discussion)

Yeah big giant experiencing farming Bugs, I just wish I had the entomology perk so that I could squash these bugs...

It is part of the new dyntraits stuff that archid made.

<bNegative> is not b-ing (see what I did there) negative in the trait trigger file.

So it should start removing points from a trait, but instead it is just adding them to it instead..

So you change civics and instead of losing points from your old civic trait you just keep gaining points, which leads to further issues down the road, like a loop of contantly gainng and losing traits as gaining one is supposed to remove the other..

I really need archid back to take a look and see what is wrong, as well as if I am using them correctly..(which I think I am, they are just not quite working right)

It is understandable, as he added so much new stuff in a short time, unfortunately I just started to find them after he went away on a break cause it took me so long to get the 'polishing and fixing' work on A5 done, before trying out all the new features he had made/moved in the .dll..

What if you made the numbers negative or flipped the sign in the code? I don't know anything about editing civics though.

Unfortunately if you change the number to a negative instead of using bnegative, then the next tag bfloorzero stops working, so you start losing points on all the unselected civic traits so you end up with like +50 on the one you are using and -50 on all the others, so the whole system breaks in a different way!
:D

So you change civics and instead of losing points from your old civic trait you just keep gaining points, which leads to further issues down the road, like a loop of contantly gainng and losing traits as gaining one is supposed to remove the other...

This is only calculated when you switch civics? Running certain civics subtracts accumulated 'points' you had in other civics while others left it alone?

Well, it seems that with the 'broken' negative and the zero floor tags, if zerofloor is activated, then a trait will only gain points from a zerofloor entry after it gets off of zero, so it has to have gained points from another entry first.

So each civic trait is setup like this:
Spoiler :

Code:
		<TraitTriggerInfo> <!-- Civic: Robotic Armies -->
			<Type>TRAITTRIGGER_ROBOTIC_ARMIES_CIVIC</Type>
			<CounterChanges>
				<CounterChange>
					<TraitType>TRAIT_ROBOTIC_ARMIES_1</TraitType>
					<iModifier>3</iModifier>
				</CounterChange>
				<CounterChange>
					<TraitType>TRAIT_GANG_1</TraitType>
					<iModifier>1</iModifier>
					<bNegative>1</bNegative>
					<bFloorZero>1</bFloorZero>
				</CounterChange>
				<CounterChange>
					<TraitType>TRAIT_MILITIA_1</TraitType>
					<iModifier>1</iModifier>
					<bNegative>1</bNegative>
				</CounterChange>
				<CounterChange>
					<TraitType>TRAIT_BANDITRY_1</TraitType>
					<iModifier>1</iModifier>
					<bNegative>1</bNegative>
				</CounterChange>
				<CounterChange>
					<TraitType>TRAIT_PROFESSIONAL_MILITARY_1</TraitType>
					<iModifier>1</iModifier>
					<bNegative>1</bNegative>
				</CounterChange>
			</CounterChanges>
			<TraitHookTypes>
				<TraitHookType>TRAITHOOK_PLAYER_TURN</TraitHookType>
			</TraitHookTypes>
			<PrereqCivics>
				<CivicType>CIVIC_FREE_SPEECH</CivicType>
			</PrereqCivics>
		</TraitTriggerInfo>

So you have the 'active' civic gaining points every turn, and the inactive civics of the same class lose points every turn down to zero.

What actually happens though is that you gain your active civic points, all inactive remain at zero, but when you change and start adding points to a new active civic, the old civic (that should now be going negative down to zero) continues to gain points rather than taking them away.

So something in the code behind the bnegative is broken.

Does it ever actually take points away from any category though? Say we start a civic out with a few points, like have a civic start with 10 base points. Will that civic be widdled down?

It sounds like if you have EVER adopted a civic the game will start a positive ticker for it which will just keep adding to it, regardless of which civic you are actually running. Maybe its using a loop.

Did Archid happen to say which files he edited?

Tried reading through the C++ he edited. So many files. My science skill just isn't up there.

I think everyone who has ever read a post from me knows my answer to this question but I am curious. Who is your favorite leader/faction? Fallout always seems to come up with a bunch of interesting and fairly unique factions. Ranging from anywhere from lame child villages to bridge villages.

I think for me probably BoS is my favourite faction, and Tandi (Or maybe Harold) is my favourite character/leader.

I still remember the satisfaction I got in F1 of getting my first suit of power armour from the Brotherhood and how much I enjoyed Fallout Tactics.

I remember playing F2 and meeting Tandi and seeing the Republic she had built from those early days in F1 where my then ancestor had saved her from the raiders and I saw the great statue in his honour. That was a cool moment.

Then Harold was cool, as he is one of the longest running characters in the game and has fruit growing out of his head! How can you beat that?

I really liked the brotherhood in Fallout 3. They seemed like nice guys, somewhat absent mindedly trying to protect everyone sure, but they were an interesting faction none the less. I didn't get the whole outcasts thing at first. However after reading about the lore somewhat and playing new vegas I really appreciated bethesda acknowledging that the brotherhood aren't a bunch of bleeding heart paladins.

No matter what ANYONE does you can't kill them, they are everywhere.

Yeah The Brotherhood are like the only properly 'established' faction that exist from F1 to F3:NV and playing all the way through let's you watch there 'personality' and identity as a faction shift and pendulum back and forth, usually depending on who is leading them.

Watching them rise and fall in importance shifting from altruism to paranoia.

In tactics you actually get a chance to 'control' the process as well depending on your decisions and who you back.

Whether you believe in purity like the enclave and seek to put humans at the top and damn everything else, or whether you believe that there is a future in cooperation with all the creatures of the waste.

Then in F3 and NV you begin to see the fractures and breakages of a faction at war with it's own identity and purpose, as well as the destructive path of it's over confidence and self-agrandising beliefs, culmunating in the stagnation, paranoia and reclusive state that it finds itself in at the end of the Republic war, instead of helping to build the future they may have fueled it's end.

That is the thing that I really want to try and build into the mod, is this idea that your decisions can really lead to entirely different factions, to different identities and personalities and demographics, that by the end you look back and wonder if you did the right thing, if it was all worth it, if you compromised principles for the sake of power, and are left looking at the results.

The dark and nightmarish results....

Then in F3 and NV you begin to see the fractures and breakages of a faction at war with it's own identity and purpose, as well as the destructive path of it's over confidence and self-agrandising beliefs, culmunating in the stagnation, paranoia and reclusive state that it finds itself in at the end of the Republic war, instead of helping to build the future they may have fueled it's end.

I am very curious to see where the faction is taken in Fallout 4. It appears as though they will be in it. It kinda looks like they are going to go the tactics route with them. Which I never really liked. The brotherhood just never really seemed like it would lend itself to being a full on nation.

That is the thing that I really want to try and build into the mod, is this idea that your decisions can really lead to entirely different factions, to different identities and personalities and demographics, that by the end you look back and wonder if you did the right thing, if it was all worth it, if you compromised principles for the sake of power, and are left looking at the results.

The dark and nightmarish results....

Pretty much sounds like every game of civ I've played where I actually won. Shifting into a dictatorship powered by slavery to whip out endless waves of axemen and catapults. The only thing keeping my hemorrhaging economy going is gold from conquest. There is always the thought that you can win through less sadistic terms but well. Only aggressive people conquer the world.

In tactics they were more like a private military/security force, trading protection for resources and manpower.

That tactic of yours was what built and ultimately ended the roman empire, eventually they stretched so far that conquest became too hard as they were stretched too thin, then all those failing conquests turned round to eat them alive!

Funny thing is, is that it works best with the romans. Their UU is so OP. One of the reasons I like RFC though is that there are consequences for over expansion other than just a bad economy, civil war. Its handled poorly though. Not to mention that there are other times it happens in which it makes very very little sense.

From what I've read it seemed more like they forced their protection on everyone in exchange for their resources and warm bodies. Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel: They'll burn your house.

Yeah I want to try and introduce big problems for empires that focus on oppression, having to divert more and more resources to 'police' while the wars outside begin to press in on all sides.

Yeah it was somewhere between protection and 'protection', you could be willing or unwillingly protected by the mid western brotherhood.
I remember one level in Tactics where a tribe tells you of a place of deomons or some such, so you go and investigate and it turns out to be a bunker, so you go in but in order to recover all the tech you have to power it up and deal with the security systems, so obviously you do and get some nice bits of tech, but on return to the surface you find the entire tribal village massacred by a pair of defense turrets!

Everyone just kind of shrugs and goes 'whoops, oh well.. so what did you find?'

You gonna make a karma system which will dictate what random event do?
Like taking slaves subtracts karma, freeing them grants karma.

When a random event is going to happen the game will look at your karma and then randomly pick an event that is either in the "good karma" or "bad karma" category. That'd be neat. But not really necessary. But still.

Top Bottom