Azeroth

Quick question: why did you choose these civs for the factions?

Because they made sense to me at the time but looking back and after reading the replies in this thread I might have done things differently, especially knowing that this would be a fairly popular map...

As for the starting locations of the big map:
England: Rut'Theran, Teldrassil - because of their naval bonus
Iroquois: Booty Bay, Stranglethorn Vale - because they do well in forest and jungle
India: Thunder Bluff, Mulgore - seemed peaceful
Aztec: Orgrimmar, Durotar - aztec reminds me of orcs :confused:
China: Western Feralas - don't remember
Greece: Stormwind, Elwynn Forest - WoW humans remind me of the greeks
Persia: Theramore Isle, Dustwallow Marsh - don't remember
Arabia: Gadgetzan, Tanaris (not recommended) - because of the desert, and the money bonus, which goblins love as well
France: Menethil Harbor, Wetlands - felt like the right location
Egypt: Southshore, Hillsbrad - i just wanted egypt to be in the map
Russia: Ironforge, Dun Morogh (not recommended) - the resources
Rome: Undercity, Tirisfal Glades - felt right to me to place rome here

Hope one day you'll be able to change the names at least!

Yes, you and everyone else can modify it as much as you want and release it. I doubt Northrend will fit in there though.

Thanks so much! This has really got me into the idea of modding Civ files for the first time. Basically, I did a first pass of what the geography of the Eastern Kingdoms would look like post-Cataclysm. I added the Twilight Highlands, Gilneas, and did a little world-breaking ala Deathwing. I removed the DeepRun Tram, mostly because it only exists if Ironforge and Stormwind are friendly, which may not be the case in Civ games. It wasn't as easy as I thought it'd be, due to not having certain tile options (lava, rocky terrain, canyons, etc).

Northrend didn't fit, nor did Ghostlands/Silvermoon (though I have a lame first-pass attempt at wedging the latter in).

In the scenario editor I've changed the counties as following and will be putting them in their in-game capital locations (which is already done for Azeroth/Eastern Kingdoms), though they're subject to change if a better fit is available:

Humans - England Orcs - Germany
Dwarves - Russia Trolls - Songhei
Night Elves - India Tauren - Iroquois
Worgen - Aztec Goblins - Japan
Draenei - Arabia Blood Elves - France
Gnomes - America Forsaken - Egypt

The city states locations I have so far: Steamweedle Cartel, Gurubashi, Blackrock Orcs, Nethergarde Keep, Twilight's Hammer, Scarlet Crusade, Argent Crusade, and The Risen. I chose the corresponding city states by name/reputation and not by the type they are, so recommendations are welcome there too.

What hasn't really been touched (yet): coastlines/water depth, resources, additional flora (forests, jungles, etc), Kalimdor.

Here's a small version:
Spoiler :

Larger version here:
Spoiler :

In case those don't work, here's the direct link to where the photo is on Flickr: http://flic.kr/p/8RmPZf

Any comments/suggestions/etc from other Civ (or WoW) fans would be great. Or if anyone else is working on a Cata version of Maze's great map, I'd be open for collaboration to get the map done faster.

Looking good, Booty Bay is going to be quite hard to conquer though. :p
And resizing the map to make place for Ghostlands (I think that's the name?) won't work sadly, the whole map will get distorded.

This will hopefully help people who are also making a map:
  • First I found a large detailed map of Azeroth.
  • I loaded up Xara Xtreme and copied it in there.
  • Then I made a hexagon grid all made out of seperate hexes with a thin outline. (128x80 is a lot of objects, don't try to select them all at once because Xara might freeze)
  • I turned them all 50% transparent, and with the Azeroth map below it I colored them the way they should be in the worldbuilder,
  • one by one :(
  • Then when done, open the worldbuilder and color all the tiles in there while looking at the image you just made.
  • one by one :crazyeye:
  • After that just polish it by selecting the continent type for the hexagons. I don't really remember the details but asian mountains don't have snow on them for example.

Spoiler :

no northrend? or outland? no worries its beautifull though .. dont worry about the mountains ... we can traverse the mountains by flying mount :):D..

I've downloaded the map and I'm using the scenario version of the map, but none of the scenario positions work at all. Instead I get assigned a random starting spot. I've checked it numerous time and the result is the same each time. :confused:

Awesome work! Thanks!

Any other variations with city states and renamed civilizations available to download and demo?? :)

This is great! Very cool to see it in Civ, and a hex map like this would be very useful for doing overland travel in the WoW PnP RPG.

One notable absence is that of the island of Kul Tiras in the Eastern Kingdoms:

It would be nice to see the islands Tol Barad and Crestfall added as well.

The vanilla world map showed Quel'thalas as extending a bit more northeast instead of the straight north it is now. Perhaps we could fudge the map from the vanilla one and extend Quel'thalas straight east? It looked like there was enough room on the map space to do that.

As for Race/Nation representations, I think it'd help if we looked a little at each WoW race, analysed their traits, and compare them with CivV traits.

Stormwind Humans
+ The Stormwind Humans are best exemplified by their diplomacy and reliance on agriculture. They also command a large number of cities and outposts, are represented often with cavalries and knights. Artistically and culturally, they fit in with any European culture.

Wildhammer Dwarves
+ Very defensive, good with fortifications, explorers, and can survive in extreme climates. Artistically and culturally, they fit in with any Northern European culture.

Gnomes
+ Inventors, Industrial, and can survive in extreme climates. Artistically and culturally, they fit in with any Northern European culture.

Night Elves
+ Very in touch with nature, they are still largely a hunter-gatherer society. They thrive in forests. They are known for their archers. Their artwork is inspired from East Asia.

Draenei
+ They are good in the sciences and like crystals.

Gilneans
+ Whilst not as powerful as Kul Tiras, they had a very strong navy. They also built the largest wall. Artistically and Culturally, they are taken from Victorian-era England.

Orcs
+ Excellent in brute strength and have a strong fight-or-die mentality.

Darkspear Trolls
+ Trolls are known for their ability to regenerate lost limbs and until receiving orders from Thrall, also practised cannibalism and sacrifices of kin. Artistically the Darkspear are tropical and frequently use wooden straw-roof structures, but troll society as a whole is very heavily influenced by Aztec culture and art.

Tauren
+ Nomads of the plains, and very connected to nature. Generally peaceful. Artistically and culturally, they are taken from Indigenous Plains Americans.

Forsaken
+ They contribute heavily to alchemical sciences and populate by raising the dead and converting scourge. Artistically, they are a good Northern European fit.

Blood Elves
+ Masters of magical sciences, good archers, and known for their arts. They like to think very highly of themselves and value vanity. Artistically, they are influenced by Arab art.

Bilgewater Goblins
+ They are ruled by the almighty dollar and are masters of invention. Very industrial. Artistically and culturally, they seem a parody of heavy consumerist societies.

Unfortunately, when I try linking them with Civ nations, I keep thinking back to Civ 4 traits. I don't know the Civ 5 nations well enough. But I do know that trolls match almost perfectly with Aztecs, Gilneas should be England, Blood Elves should probably be a middle-eastern nation, and Iroqouis could easily match the Night Elves.

Edit: Is it possible to make a custom civ pack that mixes some of the traits and unique units/buildings to create better fits? IE: Using Japan art with Iroquois Civ trait and some horseback archer UU? Perhaps such a pack could be created and released to compliment this.

Hey Maze,
I have been working an a new map. It is post cata so the new areas have been added. However, I also intend on putting all the islands in that at not in WOW but as in warcraft lore. Just wanting some feedback on whether people would like a bare map or a map that has all the civs placed and cities built so that you can pay as if you were in WOW and controlled the armies of the alliance or horde.

Also silvermoon and northern Quel'Thalas don't fit so i had to make it an island of to the side. This will mean that the blood elves will be hard to beat as it is very defend-able, however, i have made life had for them so they will not get overpowered to early.

I have finished the map of azoroth.
Here is the go.
Alliance - Greek (Stormwind), England (Kul Tiras and Gilneas), Ottoman (Gnomes), Russia (Ironforge), Roman (Night Elves), Danish (Draenei)
Horde - USA (Orcs), Iroquois (Tauran), Polynesian (Darkspear Trolls), France (Blood Elves), Siam (Goblins of Kezan), Germany (Forsaken)
Neutral player able factions - China (Cenarion Circle), Arabia (Qiraji), Spain (Argent Crusade), Egypt (Ramkahen), India (The Streamwheedle Cartel)
Hostile player able factions - Songhai (The Twilight Hammer and Black Dragonflight), Mongolia (The Undead Scourge) and Aztec (The Troll Empire)
As well as the independent cities featuring as small factions like the dragon flights and Timbermaw Hold.
Most factions just follow the goals they have in WoW, with one or two exceptions, the goal of the Darkspear is to help the horde, but also retake all the cities from the Troll Empire.
Finally, I would not recommend playing as the Gnomes. They only have the one city as i couldn't find another city/town/camp and wow that had majority Gnome in the population. I am a horde player myself so if an Ally knows of another city plz inform me and i will put it in. I would also like to put in some more of the islands, however, i could find geographical images to copy for them, Kul Tiras and Zandalar are guesses as it is.

P.S. you will need a good computer to play this map past the modern age, I recommend conquering some civs before you get to it.

Have Fun

Attachments

• Azeroth 128 80 Scenario Positions.zip
    24.2 KB · Views: 441
As a fan of your map, I just wanted to ask if you had any plans to work on a BC, WOTLK, CAT or better yet a MOP version :).

Thanks again for this map!

Top Bottom