Is Civ V or Civ IV better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAtlantian

Chieftain
I have not played Civ in a long time and since Civ BE has some issues (I have an nVidia 300 series GPU) I decided it is time to get back to an older version of Civ.

I have not played in over a year and I am trying to decide which is better Civ V or Civ IV? First off which one has an AI that cheats less? I am thinking about Civ III when asking that question. Also the only reason I am torn between the two is because I liked the fact you could pick your leader in Civ IV.

P.S.
I have the complete version of both Civ V and Civ IV thanks to a Steam sale a few months ago.

That looks like what I am going to end up doing. I wanted to play Civ BE and it looks like they came out with a new patch so who knows... Maybe the Civ Gods (or aliens) will favour me tonight.

Ive been liking colonization civ 4 a lot recently. I have commented in different local newspapers because of its influence. I haven't really used colonization that much but I have read the newspaper often because of it. Now I read the newspaper even in my cell phone.

I have not played Civ in a long time and since Civ BE has some issues (I have an nVidia 300 series GPU) I decided it is time to get back to an older version of Civ.

I have not played in over a year and I am trying to decide which is better Civ V or Civ IV? First off which one has an AI that cheats less? I am thinking about Civ III when asking that question. Also the only reason I am torn between the two is because I liked the fact you could pick your leader in Civ IV.

P.S.
I have the complete version of both Civ V and Civ IV thanks to a Steam sale a few months ago.

If you have both, this seems a pointless question since you can just try them and see.

Difficulty scaling works exactly the same way in all Civ games: the AI 'cheats' as much in both IV and V as in I-III. The only difference is that differences in the interface and some of the mechanics make it more obvious that the Civ V AI is 'cheating' (this is particularly the case for the global happiness mechanic, since seeing how high this figure can be for AI civs with lots of cities is an easier way to measure the AI bonuses at a glance than the equivalent buffs to local happiness and health in Civ IV).

Civ4 has a much better AI - at least it seems that the AI can mount a credible attack and defense. Civ5 looks much nicer and has some interesting game play features - like finite resources versus unlimited in Civ4. There's also difference in things like policies, etc. I still find Civ4 single-player more fun to play than Civ5 as the inane AI takes away a lot if the fun/challenge of playing in Civ5.

Civ IV has better AI, and base Civ V is a lot worse. But you seem to have complete edition, same, (btw here is a tip, if used correctly, Babylon and Korea can be OP, the yogscast did a great strategy on babylon on their civilization channel tutorial series) in this case, Civ V can be better in a lot of different aspects, not including AI. For example, religion isn't nearly as pointless as it is in Civ IV and is a lot more competitive, the World Congress can be decent, but I feel it lacks, especially in the low amount of things that can be proposed (mods to the rescue!). Also, Civ V has a lot more modability than Civ IV, although the only reason Civ IV tends to have better mods is because most Civ V mods are dull Civilization adding mods, and not ones with much potential like Community Call to Power and Prehistoric Era (BNW) (both Civ V modpack and mod respectively). But in the end, it all comes down to opinion.

To fully understand the differences and come up to the right conclusion which game is better I suggest you each answer each of these categories:

1. Game Playability
2. AI's capability to defeat a human player given similar game rules (Civ IV is the winner here)
3. Terrain
4. Resources
5. Uniqueness (units, buildings, abilities)-civ V wins here, no doubt
6. Graphics
7. Combat
8. Terrain Improvements
9. Technologies- their number and intelligent setup (prerequisites and benefits they give)
10 Generic Units - including req. tech, benefits
11. Generic Buildings
12 Unique Units- Civ 5 wins out
13. Unique Buildings _ Civ 5 again
14 Unique Abilities - Civ 5 the winner
15 Speech
16 Graphics
17 Sound Effects
18 Naval Transport
19. Naval Supremacy
20 Expansion-Settling
21. Exploration
22 Multiplayer Capability
23 Air Combat
24 Nuclear War's importance
25 Space Race's depth
26 Victory Conditions
27 Technologies- their setup, prerequisites, missing techs, wrong tech setup
28 Trade
29 Population Growth
30 Population Happiness
31 Great People
32 Religion
33 Great Leaders
34 Civilizations

Am I missing some categories? for sure.
All you have to do is to give a point to each game in each category, plus any other you think apply, this way you will know which game wins out.

Thank you to everyone for replying. I had asked because I do not have a lot of free time on my hands so I wanted to pick one and run with it. Looks like I won't be watching any more TV so I will at least find a bit of time there.

The AI and religion aspects of Civ IV intrigue me so I will probably go with that.

P.S.
The latest patch (March 11th?) fixed the issues I was having with Civ BE so will be busy with that. Plus Civ Rev 2 is on sale for iOS (and Android) at the moment so I got that and have all the Civ I could want. Now if only I had more time to play...

Using Daft's list:

1. Game Playability: civ 5 is better because it is easier for new players to learn. When I first played civ 4, I lost to barbarians because I had no idea what the best approach was. However, perhaps civ 4 might win out once you get the handle of it. Much temperance and patience required to reach that level though (see combat as to why that is).

2. AI's capability to defeat a human player given similar game rules: The AI definitely is hard in civ 4, even on easier difficulties. For me, if I found a neighbouring civ, I had about 30-50 turns to prepare or die trying to defend. In civ 5, it is easier but gets harder in the form of AI bonuses over difficulty. Since I don't know what it's like playing hard difficulty on civ 4, perhaps you might find civ 4 more challenging once you get the hang of it.

3. Terrain NA, imo.

4. Resources civ 5 has more strategic resources. Civ 4 has more resources in general and the ordinary resources can be used for trade to improve health and such.

5. Uniqueness (units, buildings, abilities) civ 4 has narrower unit and building diversity than civ 5, which makes game look like rock-paper-scissors, especially when you see the combat system (see combat). However, civ 4 has greater use of ability combinations with multiple leaders for some civs. The leader characteristics can give you a choice as to what you want to prioritize early with your civ, whereas with civ 5 it is not as clear-cut.

6. Graphics - of course, winner is civ 5, but shouldn't be the basis for favouring civ 5 over civ 4.

7. Combat Here, the questions of comparing combat are these: Do you like luck (% chance of winning a complete kill fight) or skill (combat strength based and incomplete)? Less detail/basic or more detail/elaborate combat rules, bonuses and penalties? Convenient unit management (which makes AI coding easier and therefore they can be more competent, but MP could be fraught with early stacks of doom zergs) or unit formation (which confuses AI and they sometimes make silly mistakes, but MP makes things interesting)? Purely melee combat (with ranged only applying to bombarding cities) or balance of range and melee combat? If you prefer mostly the former, civ 4 is better. If latter, civ 5.

8. Terrain Improvements - pretty similar, however civ 4 has better gold-generating improvements which scale over time so long as they're used. Civ 5 has more diverse tile improvement with UIs and such.

9. Technologies- their number and intelligent setup (prerequisites and benefits they give) pretty similar, although I may have forgotten layout mostly for civ 4.

10 Generic Units - including req. tech, benefits
pretty similar although if I recall with civ 4, you just need at least 1 source of iron to keep making swordsmen and such. Civ 4 also has a good rock-paper scissors mechanism where axemen beat non-cavalry, swordsmen are good against cities, spearmen beat cavalry and cavalry beat non-spearmen. However, those unit benefits become narrower over the eras. Civ 5 has a more clear-cut approach to units and their upgrades.

11. Generic Buildings pretty similar early on with granaries and libraries and such.

12 Unique Units- Civ 5

13. Unique Buildings - Civ 5

14 Unique Abilities - Civ 5, although civ 4 character abilities are nice for combinations.

15 Speech - Does this mean the interactive diplomacy menu with the way characters act and speak? The starting speech and end speech? The tech speechs and wonder speeches? Civ 4 makes diplomacy look rather undiplomatic but funny, with Catherine (or was it Izzy?) slapping you or Sumerian Gilgamesh picking you up or pulling you right up to his face when they refuse your offers or when Alexander gets into a fit of rage when he denounces you or something. In civ 5, the character actions aren't as dramatic.

As for the other questions, it's very similar and they both have nice quotes.

16 Graphics - you mentioned that twice, Daft.
17 Sound Effects - NA. Whenever I say NA I just think there isn't anything significant to compare.

18 Naval Transport: civ 4 has the inflexible but perhaps more realistic "land unit-to-transport unit" system. Civ 5 has the flexible "every land unit, even a helicopter has a boat" system.

19. Naval Supremacy civ 4 again has the rock-paper-scissor mechanism but the privateer concept is much cooler than civ 5, because they're literally privateers and you can't tell who they belong to but anyone can attack them. In civ 5, the privateer is just a melee unit than can capture over ships. As for navies in general, I'd prefer civ 5 given the ranged combat system and such.

20 Expansion-Settling - civ 4: each new city costs gpt and in turn it eats into your science that way. Happiness is local/specific. I might be wrong but I think this system favours wide expansion with great emphasis on city specialization.

civ 5: Happiness is global/general but each new city costs happiness, culture and, as of BNW, science. Tall approach, as of BNW, is preferable and city specialization isn't that great.

21. Exploration I've forgotten all the goodie hut benefits in civ 4, but I know some contained pop bonuses, gold, map and tech bonuses, just like civ 5. Exploration is more dangerous in civ 4 because barbs are wild animals (not a metaphor, they ARE wild animals) until 1500BC. In civ 5, barbs generally hang close to their camp and between the camp and other players and CS'.

22 Multiplayer Capability don't know about civ 4, but in civ 5 it is great. Not sure whether the loading issue still persists though in civ 5. Try and see if you can do a quick game in one sitting in civ 5.

23 Air Combat I know in civ 4, you can bombard cities to reduce their defence bonus, attacking units functioned like melee (please correct me there if I'm wrong) and you can pillage improvements with planes, unlike in civ 5. There is interception in both systems but my mind is hazy on how it works in civ 4. In civ 5, it is pretty straight-forward because planes are ranged units.

24 Nuclear War's importance - SP Gandhi is a curse in both civs in this area, apparently. Both civs emphasize its importance. Both have cool nuke visual effects.

25 Space Race's depth they're pretty much the same (correct me if I'm wrong)?

26 Victory Conditions civ 4: domination victory is not absolute and much easier in both objective and the combat system, cultural victory is pretty straight forward, getting 50,000 culture each in 3 cities, diplo victory is...same as civ 5??

civ 5: domination victory is harder (get all capitals), culture victory is harder and does involve a fair bit of strategy to achieve it. Diplo victory is dependent on CS'.

27 Technologies- again, repeated.

28 Trade civ 5 has physical trade routes and diplo trade, civ 4 just has diplo trade

29 Population Growth same, I think.

30 Population Happiness - see expansion.

31 Great People - pretty similar.

32 Religion - how does religion work in civ 4? The fact that founding a religion is tied to specific techs in civ 4 makes no logical sense, both fact-wise and gameplay-wise. And what benefits does religion bring? In civ 5, religion is straightforward and is independent from science, as it should be.

33 Great Leaders - more diversity in civ 4 with regard to characteristics.
34 Civilizations - civ 5 has more variety.

Do you like your armies in stacks or carpets?

I'm a carpet guy myself. I tried going back to IV but just couldn't.

Yeah, I'm not sure I could ever be happy with the Civ IV combat system from what I've seen. Played other 4X games like Lords of Magic and HoMM3 which stack on the open world but then there's a tactical battlefield when you actually fight. Also played RTSes where obviously the whole thing is a tactical battlefield of sorts.

You can't in V?

What i believe that means is that in iv you were able to choose your different leader with any civilization and keep the leader's personality as well as the chosen civilization. in civilization v you can't do that anymore because the leaders don't use their personalities that benefit aspects of civilization and instead are one with its civilization only and can't be separated into another civilization like you used to in iv. Gandhi of Mongolia for example is no longer in v.

Take the Civ V, remove 1UPT, add all features from latest exppack of the Civ IV and here you go - best Civilization so far.
In the Civ IV i only disliked the phenomenom when simple warrior or even a lion can attack and kill attack helicopter.
SO, CIV V FAILS BECAUSE:
- privateers can not attack anyone
- linear research (you can not manipulate with the techtree)
- 1 UPT = weak cities
- very weak diplomacy (the AI can not calculate well how to interact with the player in this regard)
- very slow cities growth
- the possibility of having a vassal state was removed
- the religion is less effective as a culture weapon on early stages of the game
- no corporations
- no random ingame events, that can affect the gameflow and players decisions
- weak espoinage= the spies can only rigg an election and steal tech. Thats nothing.
- the success in building the wonders is no longer anchored with the relevant resources.
- i can not manipulate with the science/gold balance
What i loved in the Civ V (brave new world)
- aha! russians now have a Russian Mi-24 Flying Tank helicopter and a T-34 Battle tank!
- good approach to defense city strategy
- arty is a useful unit
- ideology tenets
And thats about all.
So for me tht answer for the question at stake is clear.

- 1 UPT = weak cities

Poorly balanced cities maybe, hardly "weak" (they were built like Photon Cannon defence grids in Vanilla tbh).

Along with the fact everything else had to be slowed down to accommodate 1 UPT because fast production times would result in the map becoming clogged too soon.

In the time it takes to go through all those questions you could have tried both games. Just saying.

Civ 4>Civ 5 singleplayer
Civ5>Civ4 multiplayer

What really disappoints me about civ IV is its multiplayer. Civ IV multiplayer is no more and thats why civ v is a lot better than civ iv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom