Favorite game settings? Wat es they?

Gen.Washington

Anti-communist
I was just wondering what settings people liked to use when setting up a new game.
For me its
-Huge map
-15 Civs
-24 CSs
-Standard speed/ sometimes epic
-Continents/ small continents
-No time victory
-Classical era start
-Prince difficulty(I'm a scrub)
Everything else pretty much default.

I find this setup to be the most enjoyable personally.

Recently I've tried a few things but my favorite by far are:

- Standard Map Size
[Normal Civ and CS numbers for size]
- Fractal / Continents / Tilted Axis
- Epic Speed
- All Victories
- Raging Barbarians (sometimes)
- Normal Start
- Immortal (slowly moving onto Deity)

I love europe and earth maps and always have since civ 1/2 .

My lappy simply cant handle earth maps on civ v so i tend to play europe (around 9 civs 10 city states)

Speed- i prefer slower speeds to get the most out of my units before they obsolete, but marathon is too slow so im on epic

An idea I got from a post in a reddit topic was Tilted Axis with raging barbs on. The result would be that at some point carpets of barbs would start invading from the north while the civs are warring for space in the south.
Combine that with sparse resources, a couple of more AIs, epic speed and only domination victory and it looks like a fun, fun map. I've yet to try it out though.

I myself seem to prefer the standards - Standard speed and size on a Continents or Fractal map, never liked the idea of all civs on 1 continent.. Difficulty is Immortal, I've tried Deity a few times, but couldn't win, so thought I'd play a bit more Immortal before going up.

Random Civ, Continents, Small Map, Quick turn speed, Immortal

Standard map and speed are just to big and slow, continents make the game more interesting. Emperor is great if you have mastered the game and want to win all the time. Immortal changes everything because the AI has so many units that even though they are really stupid their sheer mass makes you really work for it.

So what is the difference between continents and fractal?

- Standard Map
- 8 Civs
- 11 CSs
- Standard speed/ sometimes epic
- Pangea
- No time victory
- Immortal
- Allow save promotions
- Allow save polocies

I start many games, but usually I only finish pangea ones.

I always play with abundant resources, it just makes the game more fun.

Small Map
Immortal
Everything else standard.

-Quick Speed. (Being the filthy casual that I am, I like my games to finish rather quick which prevents me from ever getting bored)
-6 Civs (I think 6 is a good amount as it makes foreign relations easy to keep track of and makes the game feel more intimate)
-Small size map (in proportion with the amount of civs)
-Strategic balance (I don't like to expand a lot so strategic balance guarantees me some vital resources)
-Any map (Keeps the game fresh)
-Quick Combat and movement
-Prince difficulty (Because I am a filthy casual)

So what is the difference between continents and fractal?

Continents spawn large land masses and smaller islands that may somewhat resemble Earth

Fractal is somewhat similar to continents but the continents are long and thin

Standard size 8 players, Pangea with low sea level or skirmish FFA.
-Ancient Start
-Immortal Difficulty
-Strategic Balance
-CS cut in half
-Humans only no AI
-Turn Timer
-Quick Combat
-Quick Movement
-Disable OP DLC Civs like Babylon, Korea, Mongolia, Inca

I've been playing:
22 Civs
35 City States
Legendary Start
Large map
Continents
Emperor
Epic speed
Domination Only

Its fun because (a) there are tons of resources everywhere because there are so many capital citites, (b) diplomacy is more fun with more civs, and (c) with epic/domination the only victory condition, there are lots of wars and less time pressure

Continents spawn large land masses and smaller islands that may somewhat resemble Earth

Fractal is somewhat similar to continents but the continents are long and thin

Not true. Continents spawns 90% of the time 2 continents and nothing else. Sometimes it may put a player alone on an island.

Fractal maps are quite random and seem more natural to me. It can be a Pangaea, a few continents or something in between. Usually there are going to be smaller islands and the map plays way more interesting to me than a Pangaea or Continents.

Another great bet, which I forgot to say is the Shuffle map - Absolute random - from the sea level to the world age and weather; the world type and everything. It's really nice if you wanna play a game by ear, without any strategies in mind, which are actually the most fun games to me.

8 players
16 CS's
Deity
Oval
Standard speed/res/overall settings

I like the oval more than pangea for some reason

Immortal, Standard everything, Pangea.
I think games are optimized for only a small range of settings and thus I like to stick to those.

I also don't use any mods. I did before G&K but since G&K and BNW I just like the base game as it is. Also, as I have no gaming friends, let alone Civ friends, I play the forum challenges here to get a sense of comparison and achievement.

Map - Standard
Civ Number - 8-10
CS Number - 16-20
Speed - Epic
Map - Depends.
Victory condition - Depends
Difficulty - Immortal

Allow save promotions
Allow save policies

Map - Standard
Civ Number - 8-10
CS Number - 16-20
Speed - Epic
Map - Depends.
Victory condition - Depends
Difficulty - Immortal

Allow save promotions
Allow save policies

Does the promo/policy saving make Immortal games easier? I never tried.

It can cut a lot of turns off a victory since with it on you can just save polices right after you finish your first tree until allowed into Rationalism and then grab a bunch of them all at once.
This is much more significant saving if you have an isolated start so you can ignore military.

It definitely does.

Like joncnunn already said, you can open couple of Rationalism -or whatever you want to pick from Social Policies- at same time.

Saving promotion is also helps. E.g you have a unit with 2 promotions saved and you get a serious fight on rough terrain, you immediately give rough terrain promotions to the unit or you may save them for instantly healing and hold enemy army with fewer units for longer time.

Large map,
Epic,
Normal civ numbers, but always add extra city states,
Continents,
Leg Start,
Emperor/Immortal,
No time victory,
Raging barbs

I might mix things up now and again but that's generally how i roll ;)

Top Bottom