Linux and Civ V

That's the case with most games/software. Pathetic. Another reason I have a PC.

A LINUX VERSION WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!!!!! all those mac pplz could play without having to pay the extra price for the mac version without having to buy windows!

How would a Linux version benefit Mac users? Linux is Unix-like while OS X IS Unix

Considering Valve announced it has no intentions of Linux Steam in the near future this is not happening

That statement was posted before Christ. Many things have probably changed since then. I expect Linux client by the year's end.

As for Windows people fearing that Linux client might lower the quality of the Windows version by taking developers' time, do know that porting actually exposes a whole lot of bugs so they can be fixed! You would actually benefit from a port.

Lastly, porting a game from Linux to Mac and from Mac to Linux is quite easy, an experienced programmer can literally do it in a matter of days! So there is really no reason for a game to have a version for one and not for another.

That statement was posted before Christ. Many things have probably changed since then. I expect Linux client by the year's end.

As for Windows people fearing that Linux client might lower the quality of the Windows version by taking developers' time, do know that porting actually exposes a whole lot of bugs so they can be fixed! You would actually benefit from a port.

Lastly, porting a game from Linux to Mac and from Mac to Linux is quite easy, an experienced programmer can literally do it in a matter of days! So there is really no reason for a game to have a version for one and not for another.

They said that on August 23... And Porting from Windows to OS X takes under 100 man/hours

Windows 7 is great.

They dont need to port the game to Linux or OSX, just get a PC with Windows and enjoy playing games :)

Gosh ! typical PC troll sentence ! one god, one rule ..... :borg:

I suppose when IE tells you your Windows 7 has a problem, you turn off your PC ?

:D

I suppose when IE tells you your Windows 7 has a problem, you turn off your PC ?

I've used it and it isn't that bad

and that was a typical anti-windows troll sentence.

A Linux version will never happen because Linux games are simply not profitable. Mac games are just barely profitable, thus why they are so much more expensive than PC games and take so long to release.

They said that on August 23...

They didn't build a whole Steam client for Linux (people on the net actually compiled it into a working client, only games are missing) just for testing. Regardless of what that Valve guy said, it is quite obvious they are working on it. When it will be released is a whole different matter. I'm hoping we'll see it by the end of the year, but I fear Valve will wait until Linux ports of Portal and CS: Source are ready. :(

And Porting from Windows to OS X takes under 100 man/hours

It takes a whole lot more, especially if the original game was built on DirectX, a Civ 4 was. In that case, around 10% of the game's original code has to be rewritten. For a game to be ported from Mac OS to Linux and vice-versa, only about 1% of the code has to be rewritten and the whole thing compiled against different libraries. So it is really a bad idea to make a game for one platform and not for another.

A Linux version will never happen because Linux games are simply not profitable. Mac games are just barely profitable, thus why they are so much more expensive than PC games and take so long to release.

If the current exponential growth of desktop Linux usage continues, making games for Linux will be very profitable soon enough. It was such a big deal when at the beginning of the year it was clear that Linux finally held 1% of the market. The year hasn't even finished and we are already very close to seeing it go up to 2%. That's not growth, that's an explosion. More high-quality video games would add a lot of fuel to this fire.

Mac users will also benefit greatly from this rise of Linux, as the games are easily portable between the two, making more developers interested into these platforms.

I've used it and it isn't that bad

I agree. Windows 7 is not so bad. I use an "old" XP only because it's easier to drive on Parallels 5. With the new Parallels 6, I think I'm going to test Windows 7 ( with IE turned off ... :D )

and that was a typical anti-windows troll sentence.

But I'm not the one who says : go to hell if you don't have a PC computer ( or any other system except mine ) ..... :borg: Be more subtile won't hurt anybody. So please, next time, think about it before treating me of troll !

Again and again the same old problem ... it's tiring. And stupid.

The subject is Linux and I don't have Linux. But I plead for any Civ game on any system.

We all know this. Obvious. But it could be different.

If the current exponential growth of desktop Linux usage continues, making games for Linux will be very profitable soon enough. It was such a big deal when at the beginning of the year it was clear that Linux finally held 1% of the market. The year hasn't even finished and we are already very close to seeing it go up to 2%. That's not growth, that's an explosion. More high-quality video games would add a lot of fuel to this fire.

Mac users will also benefit greatly from this rise of Linux, as the games are easily portable between the two, making more developers interested into these platforms.

And I fully agree.

Some could argue that 2% is not important enough. But then, it would be a lack of clarity. And yes for sure, Mac community benefits of the rise of Linux.

Linux community brings a lot to everyone, whatever system we use. Mozilla Project is one of the best example.

Immediate profit is a poor way. Give the tools and you'll get new talents.

It takes a whole lot more, especially if the original game was built on DirectX, a Civ 4 was. In that case, around 10% of the game's original code has to be rewritten. For a game to be ported from Mac OS to Linux and vice-versa, only about 1% of the code has to be rewritten and the whole thing compiled against different libraries. So it is really a bad idea to make a game for one platform and not for another.

Yes ! :) :) :)

Moreover those Valve guys aren't an argument : Steam is also on mac ...
So, Mac user can use Steam, which is suppose to get games to everyone ( a reason why Linux user try to port it ) and have fun multiplayer experiences but nobody would port games on anything else than PC because it's not profitable ? But I thought Steam was to buy games ?!

Or maybe game company and Valve think mac user and linux user don't have a buck ...
It's, again, an economical question ask the wrong way by those who want money too fast.
Bad math.

They didn't build a whole Steam client for Linux (people on the net actually compiled it into a working client, only games are missing) just for testing. Regardless of what that Valve guy said, it is quite obvious they are working on it. When it will be released is a whole different matter. I'm hoping we'll see it by the end of the year, but I fear Valve will wait until Linux ports of Portal and CS: Source are ready. :(

They cancelled a Linux port after they realized it was economically unfeasible. Linux needs to enjoy some level of standardization, for example OS X has been running the same Kernel the entire time

Stats please
I agree. Windows 7 is not so bad. I use an "old" XP only because it's easier to drive on Parallels 5. With the new Parallels 6, I think I'm going to test Windows 7 ( with IE turned off ... :D )

But I'm not the one who says : go to hell if you don't have a PC computer ( or any other system except mine ) ..... :borg: Be more subtile won't hurt anybody. So please, next time, think about it before treating me of troll !

Again and again the same old problem ... it's tiring. And stupid.

The subject is Linux and I don't have Linux. But I plead for any Civ game on any system.

We all know this. Obvious. But it could be different.

And I fully agree.

Some could argue that 2% is not important enough. But then, it would be a lack of clarity. And yes for sure, Mac community benefits of the rise of Linux.

Linux community brings a lot to everyone, whatever system we use. Mozilla Project is one of the best example.

Immediate profit is a poor way. Give the tools and you'll get new talents.

Yes ! :) :) :)

Mac community could benefit? Name two things Linux has given OS X, and they can't be trivial
Moreover those Valve guys aren't an argument : Steam is also on mac ...
So, Mac user can use Steam, which is suppose to get games to everyone ( a reason why Linux user try to port it ) and have fun multiplayer experiences but nobody would port games on anything else than PC because it's not profitable ? But I thought Steam was to buy games ?!

Or maybe game company and Valve think mac user and linux user don't have a buck ...
It's, again, an economical question ask the wrong way by those who want money too fast.
Bad math.
Valve knows Mac Users aren't broke since they are porting all of their stuff to Mac

They cancelled a Linux port after they realized it was economically unfeasible.

Nah, rather they are just buying time. Updates to the Mac client keep showing the new Linux-specific code, which confirms that they are still working on it. Linux and Mac OS are so similar that even their Steam clients will share most of the code between them.

And as I've said, economic feasibility of Linux games is only a matter of time. Not only is the number of users quickly growing, but the platform itself is becoming more and more developer friendly. Project Galium3D has finally given us a full DirectX 10 support for Linux, which means that interested developers in the future will no longer have to resort to OpenGL to make Linux games.

Linux needs to enjoy some level of standardization, for example OS X has been running the same Kernel the entire time.

For most part, Linux is relatively well standardized. Drivers are not made for a specific distro, drivers are made for Linux. User applications are not made for a specific distro, they are made for Linux. Yes, a developer can be in a jam not knowing what libs might be installed on a user computer, but that could be solved simply by making the app so it runs on Ubuntu, which at the moment is undisputed king of Linux distros. Linux comunity itself will make sure it works on other distros as well.

Stats please

There are no 100% reliable statistics on Linux usage, simply because Linux usually is not sold, so you can't monitor sales. All stats come from web sites visitation monitoring, but again, the content of those sites comes into equation. For instance, 15% of visits to Ars Technica are from Linux, but how many can you expect on Hello Kitty site? So I personally take Wikipedia as the most OS-neutral platform and it has nearly 2% of visits from Linux systems. To put that into some perspective, in 2008 only 0.38% of visitors used Linux.

Mac community could benefit? Name two things Linux has given OS X, and they can't be trivial

Most open-source projects that Unix (and Mac OS as de facto Unix) today uses were originally made for Linux. For instance, Mac OS uses Samba engine to share files with Windows. Webkit, Safari's engine, was created on khtml project for KDE.

Easy !!!

Most open-source projects that Unix (and Mac OS as de facto Unix) today uses were originally made for Linux. For instance, Mac OS uses Samba engine to share files with Windows. Webkit, Safari's engine, was created on khtml project for KDE.

I'll add OpenOffice which free both Mac and PC users from the :( Windows Office Suite :( Even if iWork is my favourite, Pages is 1 solar system beyond too far for many people and their use of a word processor.

Then Gimp ... As a designer, I work everyday with Photoshop but when I started to mod, I was very very happy to find this treasure which directly comes from Linux world. The great advantage of Gimp on Photoshop on Mac is its DDS plugin inclusion. Now I use Squich DDS 1.1.3 ( another free tool ) directly on Mac :)

But why staying at 2 ?

VLC is a software used by many people. Some do not even know sometimes it is a software Open Source. The voluntary nature of this media player is, however not his only quality. VLC supports many different video and audio formats, including H.264, Ogg, DivX, MKV, TS, MPEG-2, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC. It also allows read and distribute streaming feeds, to achieve the encoding and format conversion ... With QuickTime, my favourite player for sure !

Audacity is an audio editor and recorder Open Source. It can record an audio stream live, import and export in various formats, converting records analog to digital, as well as to perform multiple actions assembly ... Of course, not as sublime as Soundtrack Pro or Logic Pro but for many pieces of work, well enough and ... free !!!

Inkscape is a vector graphics editor comparable to proprietary software like Illustrator or Corel Draw. Inkscape is compatible with SVG, a W3C standard. Thus any image in SVG created or edited with Inkscape can be imported into any other editor complying with this standard. Inkscape which has a very dynamic community and many tutorials for novice users to learn to master this tool ... Thanks Inskape to exist ...

Despite the large spread of instant messaging, IRC clients are not dead yet. Some users continue to use this type of chat application, including consultants and network administrators. And X-Chat 2 is probably to this day one of the best IRC clients ... I'm not an IRC chatter so, I use Adium ( free, thanks again Open World ! ) which works much better than LiveMessenger which year after year is still buggy on any Mac OS X ... iChat is great but doesn't work with MSN accounts ...

Blender which is an open source, cross platform suite of tools for 3D creation and largely used around isn't it ??? :lol: Should I mention the nif tools or not ?

Should I tell more ? Since Open World rise, we ALL benefit of many stuff from it. It's becoming so obvious and so daily that we easily forget this benefit !

Only the Gaming world remains closed to Open Source and Linux and Mac world ... Maybe because the world of gaming is a selfish PC geeks world which is surfing on the fact that so many many young people play more and more until forgetting what is real life ??? ( money ... money ... )

Right here, how many people play with mods or added units made for most with Open Source tools !!! Firaxis knows this fact but like all others game editors, not so "open-minded" ... :mischief:

When I see around so many PC users telling that Windows 7 is "only" 115 $, I don't laugh because some of them are fellows and I dislike argue each day ( english is not my mother tongue ) ... But do they know a Mac comes always with OS X included ? and that Linux is really free ? The price comparison of computers is not anymore a decent argument. Civ 5 itself requires a Quad to play really fine ...

I'm still OK ( and I'm not the only one ) with the fact to pay more my Civ game than any PC user, but it sounds like a neverending story.

Every creator and each modder and each mod user here on CivFanatics should plead for a multi-platform Civ 5 too since they largely use open source tools and benefit from Linux world for their creations :) That's decent.

I'm not a Linux boy but I don't bite the hand who feeds my pleasure ...

:coffee:

Open Source≠Linux
I'll give you KHTML and Samba if I can find an article documenting where the Hell it came from

IMO iWork>Open Office (it was worth the $50)

Open Source≠Linux

Non sense. Won't argue about the hen and the egg but it is Linux world who propulsed the Open Source even all open source projects aren't linux projects.

"The development of Linux is one of the most prominent examples of free and open source software collaboration; typically all the underlying source code can be used, freely modified, and redistributed, both commercially and non-commercially, by anyone under licenses such as the GNU General Public License. Commonly used applications with desktop Linux systems include the Mozilla Firefox web-browser, the OpenOffice.org office application suite and the GIMP image editor."
source : Wikipedia

By the way ... Did I mention Apache HTTP Server ? and the free iPhone Cydia apps used by millions of iPhone users around the world ?

I'll give you KHTML and Samba if I can find an article documenting where the Hell it came from

easy ... here : http://www.samba.org/

and here : http://KDE-Apps.org/

and here : khtml project for KDE

IMO iWork>Open Office (it was worth the $50)

Yes, for sure ! but a very different approach of the word processing. Open Office is closer to Windows Office suite in the spirit. iWork is a typical Apple advanced software. I love it. But for many people working deeper with a word processor, OpenOffice is better.

Anyway, I'll stop to argue in vain now.

But even it is not "politically correct", I say that game editors including Firaxis take all the benefits from open source stuff ( like the tools to mod their games which is a huge advantage to get a community like ours ) but doesn't give anything in exchange like a decent-non-steam-multiplatform-game.

And I say Apple users shouldn't follow PC gamers like sheep in the way of accepting everything and anything from editors.

And of course, supporting Linux fellows is a minima.

Nonsense, originally all software was open source, then Gates started fencing in the world [pissed], in reality X11 was a form of open source that started in 1984 and was done by 1987 (four years before Linux). BSD is far older than Linux by nine years! :old: Who's the whippersnapper now? (I'm going by when BSD was a full OS)

Linux is merely the most prominent branch.

Cydia? Cheaters never really win and real winners never cheat

Seriously I'll take Bean any day over open office (bean-osx.com)

OS X Gamers aren't sheep, portingteam.com is our community

Nonsense, originally all software was open source, then Gates started fencing in the world [pissed]

I fully agree !

in reality X11 was a form of open source that started in 1984 and was done by 1987 (four years before Linux). BSD is far older than Linux by nine years! :old: Who's the whippersnapper now? (I'm going by when BSD was a full OS)

The point is not to me to talk about who's was the first, but to recognize today that Open Source propulsed by the rise of Linux brings a lot to all, including Apple users.

Cydia? Cheaters never really win and real winners never cheat

Cheaters ??? Why ? Because they do something obvious missed by Apple itself ? It's not a cheat, it's opportunity. I don't speak about the ability to crack apps which is something I don't support but in the way I like doing whatever I want with my Mac, iphone ios is not as "playable" as it could be.

Seriously I'll take Bean any day over open office (bean-osx.com)

Your freedom, dear, to choose whatever you want. I use iWork Suite without any problem.

OS X Gamers aren't sheep, portingteam.com is our community

I didn't say OS X gamers are sheep, I say "Apple users shouldn't follow PC gamers like sheep" ... and I didn't speak about "portingame" but "decent-non-steam-multiplatform-game" which is very different.

I know my english is sometimes approximative but please, not necessary to transform my words ...

Not wanting to start a new thread, i'll hijack this one (and hope people keep the religious discussion at bay. this is not the place for that - if you want to use windows, go use windows. don't bother me with it.)

i am now playing my third game of Civ V under wine (1.3.3), and i'm glad to report that it runs practically flawlessly.
i like to think that the DX9 legacy mode is at least a bit related to the fact that civ v has a comparably large percentage of players running linux (the winehq appdb entry is a clear sign of that), as did civ iv.

big thanks to firaxis for the legacy mode, enabling me to enjoy this game on my favourite OS :)

Not wanting to start a new thread, i'll hijack this one (and hope people keep the religious discussion at bay. this is not the place for that - if you want to use windows, go use windows. don't bother me with it.)

i am now playing my third game of Civ V under wine (1.3.3), and i'm glad to report that it runs practically flawlessly.
i like to think that the DX9 legacy mode is at least a bit related to the fact that civ v has a comparably large percentage of players running linux (the winehq appdb entry is a clear sign of that), as did civ iv.

big thanks to firaxis for the legacy mode, enabling me to enjoy this game on my favourite OS :)
Many Civ players only play civ, for example my dedicated Civ IV machine has a 9600 GSO and a Pentium 4 @3.2GHz and obviously is running Windows XP (32-bit)

Top Bottom