New improvement art! You don't need to replace civ5artdefines_landmarks.xml

it always says 'indieStoneMaterialMaker has stopped working' the second i try to run the .exe. ive even tried running it though admin but its the same deal...

EDIT: omg i got it to work. i randomly stumbled across a fix, saying i had to put the indiestone exe in the same folder as the nexus exe >.< derp. i feel a bit dense now. heres to hoping ive got this fixed now!

EDIT2: OMGOMGOMGOMG i did it! it works! its alive! ALIVE I SAY!

Attachments

• Fraeyalillies.jpg
    Fraeyalillies.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 396
Thanks for the heads up :) What problems do those maps create? Just not placing the new resources?

Not exactly. What happens is that when you call GetMajorResourceQuantities (or whatever its name is), the routine is expecting one argument per strategic resource. So the function will return "1,1,2,1,3,4,2,1" and so on, depending on your game's settings (like the Abundant or Sparse settings). Those three maps I listed replace these functions with customized versions for that map, which means they'll only set values for the same number of resources as in the core game, with the assumption that the two lists line up correctly.

If you add new resources, then that routine (as well as the corresponding one for Small resource deposits) will have more arguments. In many cases of this sort of thing the call will now fail outright as the calling routine is expecting X numbers to be passed back, while the routine it calls instead passes back Y. If it doesn't fail, then an array overflow error like this will fill those X-Y variables with either 0's, or in some cases, whatever values happened to be in that particular memory address. That last possibility is the dangerous one.

This assumes, also, that your custom resources are always placed at the END of the list. If you'd added additional ancient-era resources and wanted them listed before Coal or Oil, things can get screwed up even worse. But let's ignore that for now, since you can avoid it. The problem is that if there are 0 deposits of a resource on the map, things will break. This is why AssignStartingPlots, at the very end, adds a final override for each resource that places 1 deposit if there aren't any. Assuming you've added similar overrides for your custom resources, the map might still be playable; if you forgot, then the map generator will crash before it finishes, and certain parts of the map won't be populated correctly.

In my own mod, I'd added more robust logic than that. Instead of adding 1 deposit of Iron if there were no Irons on the map at all, I reduced the chance of Iron being placed during the random distribution logics, and then at the end automatically added something like N/2 small deposits and N/3 large ones (where N is the number of civs). That way, even if the random part failed entirely, there'd still be a playable amount of Iron on the map. (I did this for every strategic, actually.)

So has anyone attempted to recycle any Civ4 improvements into Civ5 given we now have the ability add new resources and improvements?

I for one would love to import a trench type improvement (but alas, my prior experiences with Blender have been the equivalent of pulling teeth :aargh:)!

and an airfield !

Here come the lua-created-immobile-invisible-capturable-civilian-land-aircraft-carrier unit concept. Absolutely not tested but should work :D

New to modding...

So what does this mean, in basic terms?

All i'm getting out of the OP is that if I have a model made and textured, that it's a less complex process to actually get it in the game now. Great, but how much, exactly?

I really wish they would just let us slap a OBJ with some pngs and tiffs as textures, copy paste an existing unit's code down, and just change the names/stats/assest pathways and be done. :rolleyes:

My game still crashes frequently when ticking my mod's "Reload Landmark System" box. No go (vanilla).

My game still crashes frequently when ticking my mod's "Reload Landmark System" box. No go (vanilla).
Thanks for the info. That bodes poorly for G&K. Well, ...to be an eternal optimist: there probably were some graphic updates in the G&K dll, based on the new multi-processor functionality and changes in Events (tied to graphics). Someone would have to test in G&K to know for sure.

I gave up on this a while back for a different reason: I simply lack any expertise in 3D art. I did not think I had any shot at solving that part of the problem.

Thanks for the info. That bodes poorly for G&K. Well, ...to be an eternal optimist: there probably were some graphic updates in the G&K dll, based on the new multi-processor functionality and changes in Events (tied to graphics). Someone would have to test in G&K to know for sure.

I gave up on this a while back for a different reason: I simply lack any expertise in 3D art. I did not think I had any shot at solving that part of the problem.

I have tested it, and while it doesn't crash a lot, it does crash sometimes.

i suffered 3 blue screens of death while i was testing all my resources, but at the time i thought it was related to my rubbish computer. however since i have stopped testing the resource graphics i have not had a single BSoD... so it could very well be related...

I read the last few pages and I have to say that this is very interesting stuff!!! The last few post talk about crashes though. I want to do this for Community Call to Power Project (a lot of new resources), but it would probably be better to wait until you pioneers find out how to stabilize the process. I'm keeping a close eye on this :D

I'm looking for help with improvement art myself, but couldn't design it from scratch; this thread at least gave me some hints that it's possible to add art for a homemade improvement without using the unreleased DLL editor. ;-)

With units people have been making templates based off the skeletons of Civ5 art.

Unlike Civ4 (which doesnt have skeletons for tile imps) civ5 does. I looked at the Iron art and tried to make a template and did it based on the windmill. I posted a version earlier. Can somme try and see if it shows up now?

Relating to crashes, I am 99% convinced it is down to the Farm improvment. The 15 or so custom resources I created for CCTP work fine IF they do not have a RevealTech, once you start applying one there will be random crashes, I have tested all of my custom resources with a farm(worker built it here before he realised there was a resource there due to a RevealTech req) on them and told a worker to change the improvment for the "right one" and it isntantly CTD's, regardless of the reskin used.

@ Androrc the Orc, also happens with your Luboric art.

Relating to crashes, I am 99% convinced it is down to the Farm improvment. The 15 or so custom resources I created for CCTP work fine IF they do not have a RevealTech, once you start applying one there will be random crashes, I have tested all of my custom resources with a farm(worker built it here before he realised there was a resource there due a RevEalTech req) on them and told a worker to change the improvment for the "right one" and it isntantly CTD's, regardless of the reskin used.

This is great news! I believe this is the first time that someone could point out more specifically why the "Reload Landmark System" crashes were happening. If you could inform one of the Civ5 developers of your findings, it might help them solve the crashes, too.

This is great news! I believe this is the first time that someone could point out more specifically why the "Reload Landmark System" crashes were happening. If you could inform one of the Civ5 developers of your findings, it might help them solve the crashes, too.

Relating to crashes, I am 99% convinced it is down to the Farm improvment. The 15 or so custom resources I created for CCTP work fine IF they do not have a RevealTech, once you start applying one there will be random crashes, I have tested all of my custom resources with a farm(worker built it here before he realised there was a resource there due to a RevealTech req) on them and told a worker to change the improvment for the "right one" and it isntantly CTD's, regardless of the reskin used.

i think I know someone I can pass it to. So the issue is that when you have reload landmark system set to 1 it crashes when a tileimp has a revealtech associated with it? is that correct? as much detail as possible helps.

So the issue is that when you have reload landmark system set to 1 it crashes when a tileimp has a revealtech associated with it? is that correct? as much detail as possible helps.

No the issue is the Farm Improvement built on a resource(Custom with custom Art that needs the Reload Landmark System checked) that is hidden(Un revealed), that you later go to change to the "Proper" Improvement after it has been revealed to you, this will cause a CTD. Setting new resources to NOT require a Reveal Tech eliminates this problem, since workers will NOT build farms on resources they can "see", they wil however build farms on resources they can "not see", even if you have BuildableOnResources set too off, which it is by default.

Top Bottom