Freeway Vandalism! [Image-Intensive!]

Pontiuth Pilate

Republican Jesus!
In an age of $200m campaign "war chests" it's refreshing to see people take new approaches to political advertising. The latest California trend: stick up makeshift signs all over the place. It's technically illegal :D and the point is that the message stays up until someone takes it down - no rent, no nothing. Just the cost of cardboard and a marker. Of course, since this requires creativity, almost all the messages so far have been very far-left, but the medium could be co-opted with success.

Some of the choicer examples:

Onward California!

Good idea Cali! Let freedom ring before everything is partitioned into "free-speech zones" and "security zones".

I love it!

I'm tempted to do some myself....

Those are pretty good. Better than all that graphiti that I see that says "Jesus Saves" all over the Highways.

Originally posted by Maj
Kind of like bothering to read this thread and posting about how expressing yourself is a waste of time.

Ok, let me elaborate so your panties can untie themselves:

It won't make a damn bit of difference what is put on the highways because a) people don't care b) Bush/republicans don't care.

Would it be just as amusing if some fundy posted a sign saying: "God hates homosexual abominations?"

or to a lessor extend, how about, "lesson the tax burden on the rich!"

Oh I forget, only the leftists are allowed to make a public scene.

Um... that's not what I am saying. They are well written and appeal to people. Therefor they are not a waste of time. If the messages were conservative and well written, unlike what you have written, I wouldn't find them funny but other people would. They would also be worthwhile.

Originally posted by newfangle

It won't make a damn bit of difference what is put on the highways because a) people don't care b) Bush/republicans don't care.
And let me elaborate so you can unclench your cheeks enough to pull your panties down.

No one pays attention to the snide remarks of an arrogant jerk, or the witty exhibitionism of leftist jerks except those who already agree with them.

They serve as humurous comments that might actually brighten up the day of people with personalities.

Yea, we all know that people expressing themselves is a stupid idea. Hey, you know what would be really stupid? It might get popular, and they might give it a catchy name like "freedom of speech," whatever might we do then?

People SEE and it makes them THINK. That's the point. What exactly makes a highway sign different from an airbrushed TV campaign ad?

Go and put a sign up yourself. Oh wait, they're a waste of time.

Would it be just as amusing if some fundy posted a sign saying: "God hates homosexual abominations?"

or to a lessor extend, how about, "lesson the tax burden on the rich!"

Those who get away with making scenes are usually those who make a scene the majority is at worst indiffirent to.

Go ahead, make some signs and post them up. They'll be taken down just as those in California were. No one is going to stop you, unless perhaps a police officer is present. But he's obliged to stop anyone.

The issue of contention for you here isn't the medium. It's the message.

Those people are criminals and should thus be killed.

Not until we empty their bank accounts first, after all they must have gotten all of their money from illegal sign making.

From the site:

IS IT LEGAL?: Yes. And No. Political speech is protected and may be posted on any state or public property (with no doubt some exceptions). In California it is illegal to post signs within 600 feet of a freeway, although that didn't seem to matter for the flags, yellow ribbons and "Support the Troops" signs. I believe the 600 foot rule is attributed to "driver distraction" (don't want to distract them from their cell phones and DVD players now, do we?) and seems perfectly reasonable... just as soon as they move all billboards & advertising 600 feet away as well. The matter is currently under review in the California courts, but for now, you can consider freewayblogging as non-violent civil disobedience.

As long as some of the lefties get to put up signs, I'll put up some of mine.

Attachments

• ceau4kerry.gif
    ceau4kerry.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 219
Top Bottom