Declaring war on Barbarian State?

D-Rockz

Chieftain
Trying to play as Hyborem, and can't declare war on the Barbs. I've looked over every FAQ there is and read in game CIvlopedia as well as the FFH2 Manualv1 with no luck.

Is there a hotkey to do this or am I missing something?

Nope, Hyborem has the barbarian leader trait, and therefore starts at peace with the barbs.

When you become powerful enough though (your score 50% greater that of any other civ), you are no longer at peace with the barbs, and that lasts until the end of the game.

p. 36 in the FFH manual for full info

AI civs with the barbarian trait and low scores go to war with the barbs all the time, so there must be another way. I never play those civs, but I'm wondering if they can declare war on the barbs by simply moving a unit on to the same tile as a barb unit. Then, would they get the message 'do you want to declare war?'

Not sure though, but you do get this with other AI civs when you move on to a tile with one of their units.

I never play those civs, but I'm wondering if they can declare war on the barbs by simply moving a unit on to the same tile as a barb unit. Then, would they get the message 'do you want to declare war?'

You do.

Well you did a while ago at least, when I was last playing as the clan I was able to war that way. Not sure if it still works mind you.

Not sure though, but you do get this with other AI civs when you move on to a tile with one of their units.

No Ive tried moving all over the barbs territory, with all different kinds of units and am never given the option of declaring war, instead my unit just moves on top of them.

Ok i found one way to do it...you have to find an animal somewhere, and by attacking it I was given the option of declaring war. So I guess if there arent any animals around the barbs are immune.

Barbs outside of their boarders didn't give me the option of war, just ran my unit on top of em, only thing that worked was an animal.

Ahh that was it...I usually clicked and held it before moving, but by just right clicking it gave me the option of declaring war, thanks for the help.

Interesting, never knew you could do that. I will now finally be able to take that pesky barbarian city with dragon's hoard and the tomb of Sucellus in it's border. Thanks!

So many times when I am playing as a Barb civ, I forget and panic when my workers are near 'enemy' orcs :lol:

In order to get the declare war dialog you must find a barbarian unit that is not within barbarian territory, and then move into its tile by right-clicking on the barbarian unit (or right-click-and-hold on any tile, drag the targeting circle onto the barbarian unit's tile, and then release the right button). If you attempt to move into the barbarian unit's tile by clicking the goto icon (or pressing the shortcut key for that action, <G>) then the dialog will not appear. Also, if the barbarian unit is in barbarian territory then the dialog will not appear.

Alternatively, if you attack any HN barbarian unit (which will typically only be animals) then you will receive a declare war dialog regardless of where the barbarian unit is located.

After the early stages of the game there may not be any animals left and it may be difficult to find other barbarian units outside of barbarian territory. In this situation it is possible to use spells to declare war on the barbarians. For example, if you cast Scorch while in barbarian territory you will declare war on the barbarians. Likewise, if you strike a barbarian unit with an AoE damage spell (such as Maelstrom) then you will declare war.

Thanx for the tips
I'll try the spells as with the Fall Further version i'm playing, animals have a different faction altogether.

still i wish it would be possible to simply declare war

Top Bottom