Housemates cant both play online at the same time

Gruminmor

Chieftain
Hey Fanatics.

Apologies if his has come up before, but I couldnt find anything about this.

I play civ MP with various buddies from all over the world. But recently a friend and I got a place together and we can't both play online at the same time. And considering that the only way to get a good game is to play with ppl you know. But now we can't do that and it's frustrating as heck. We can lan no problem, but that's only with the two us. Is there anyway to remedy this?

Thanks in advance.
G

The first person(doesn't matter who) to either join a game or make one, gets in with no problem. But as soon as the second person tries, it just hangs and eventually times out. Even if we try to join totally different games it doesn't work. We can see each other's game in the lobby if its public. And if it's a private game and we sends an invite via steam, the same problem persists.

The first person(doesn't matter who) to either join a game or make one, gets in with no problem. But as soon as the second person tries, it just hangs and eventually times out. Even if we try to join totally different games it doesn't work. We can see each other's game in the lobby if its public. And if it's a private game and we sends an invite via steam, the same problem persists.

Try this solution for one of the computers:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6370-QPHJ-3567

Thanks for that, will check it out.
But I don't think the issue is with Steam, as we've played many games of Dota 2 with no problems.
I know that Civ MP is full of annoying bugs that don't seem to go away. And Firaxis don't seem to keen on sorting out. So I thought it would either be that, or some form of counter measure to prevent teaming up in random MP games. But I'll check it out and get back to you.

Didn't work. Same old story. One person can join a game, but the second person can't. Even if we're trying to join different games.

Didn't work. Same old story. One person can join a game, but the second person can't. Even if we're trying to join different games.

Did u also open up the suggested ports on your router? I know that the steps did not specify that, but it is something that u may want to try.

Also, did your friend purchase this came separately from you? Make sure the license is different from yours.

Didn't try that, will give it a go when I get home later.

And as for the game license, hmm, didn't know about that. I bought it and gifted it to him via steam. Didn't actually know that could be a problem.

Don't have the solution (sorry), just some encouragement. I play with a friend at his house sometimes, both our own steam-account and we can do internet MP without problems. He doesn't have a special router or rules or anything, it just works.

So there definitely is something strange going on. Since it works for me (and probably a lot of other ppl too!).

Hope you work it out!

Thanks for the words of encouragement Lord Katana. Nice to know it does work. Kinda wondered if it was purposely designed that way to prevent unfair play in random MP games.

I totally forgot to see if the ports were open yesterday. Will try to remember tonight(not counting on it though)

I really just want to get my buddy to experience a true MP with no AI, against (potentially) good players. MP in this game rocks, if you can get passed the bugs, lag and occasional DC. It really does open up a totally new world. After playing and winning a big MP game will totally ruin any future SP games.

AI? Pfft! I'll take a human enemy anyday!

Top Bottom