WH Version 1.4 Bug Thread

Arexack : No, I meant I couldn't understand what that little assembly language function was for, but it could have been different if I had had the "high level" translation of what it did. Thus the need for the sourcecode while debugging.

PL : Yes, I wonder whether the sources are already available... It seems to me Firaxis had released them quite a while ago, didn't they ?

As for the knowledge, I'm an engineer in computer science , but I don't know no Python, and am only just beggining with XML in general, and a total newbie with CIV4 XML.

But what I can assert is the exception happens during the "Loading XML" phase of the program startup, before the main menu appears. And the rest is only guessing from the little info I have. It would make sense that the game uses a system library to parse XML, thus having an error with one version (the one shipped with XP SP2), and no error with the other version (the one on vista).

So, do any of you insider people see a way of testing the xml files incrementally ?

That would make sense kzwix; there must be some subtle XML errors introduced in the patch, like an improperly closed tag, that can be skipped by the Vista OS.

I thought Humakty tested the XMLs incrementally and traced the problem to an error in Civ4TechInfos.xml , but couldn't see where the specific error was in that file. If that's the case, all we need to do is revert to the working 1.5 version of Civ4TechInfos.xml , and then carefully redo any needed changes to it while being sure at each step not to introduce any errors. Have you tried this PL & Humakty? (I am currently totally Civless while traveling :sad:)

I can confirm the crash came from this very file, Civ4TechInfos.xml, as soon as I replaced it by the "unpatched" one, the game started without a CTD.

Ok, it popped-up a lot of warning windows, because of lots of unknown tags, but still, that's much better. Well, guess we just need to find the faulty lines, now...

Well, in order to save you from losing your time on this, let me say that I'm looking at the problem. I've managed to differentiate "old" and "new" entries, by comparing the files (semi-manually), and I'm experimenting right now to see what crashes.

I've tested all, and I found that Elemental Mastery was the one causing a CTD, all the other techs being just fine. I'll try to understand what in the tech causes that damn CTD.

Sorry for the double post (and possible triple post, once I'm finished, but it would seem deleting posts is forbidden...)

Well, in order to save you from losing your time on this, let me say that I'm looking at the problem. I've managed to differentiate "old" and "new" entries, by comparing the files (semi-manually), and I'm experimenting right now to see what crashes.

I've tested all, and I found that Elemental Mastery was the one causing a CTD, all the other techs being just fine. I'll try to understand what in the tech causes that damn CTD.

Sorry for the double post (and possible triple post, once I'm finished, but it would seem deleting posts is forbidden...)

kzwix... you are my saviour! Who needs Sigmar lol :p seriously though, thank you SOOO much! the ammount of stuffing around you have saved Humakty and Orlanth and me, especially considering if i did it id be working blind (havent a clue where to start looking). and dont stress about double posts, its not a big deal at all. im guilty of it a lot also.

Well, I even refined the problem cause :

There are 5 "OR" prerequisites technologies. If you remove anyone of them, then it works just fine.

Why it does crash with 5 techs, but works with 4 is beyond me, though. I would have thought of a desing choice for the game, allowing only 4 "OR", but then, why would it work on Vista ?

Can someone please test "in game", under Vista, that each and every one of those techs allows the research of Elemental Mastery ?. If it does, then the problem is something else. If it doesn't, then the problem might be the same on XP and Vista, Vista just being better at "hiding" it...

I hope those info help.

Kzwix, you're our savior, I immediately contact the sales department, so that they allow you a free copy of Warhammer mod. Just download from here, it will be entirely FREE !!!

Whoah, a free copy of this mod, for me ??? Thanks, this will be a great Christmas present ! :D

I had a look at the tech XML file, and this tech is the only one having 5 "or" techs as prerequisites. So I'd be quite inclined to think the problem comes from there.

Guys, congratulations, thats an awesome find.

For elemental mastery, thats an easy fix.... just eliminate the Master of Ice tech entirely! And leave it with 4 OR prereqs.
For Arcane Lore (for Winds colleges archmages), just leavnig it with Education AND Winds of magic is probably ok.
But for whatever the "other" archmage tech ("Arcane mastery" i think in the current design, for skaven, greenskins, vampires, ogres) I'm not sure what the best approach will be.
Maybe we could leave it as Necromancy OR WAAGH! OR Magic of the Horned Rat OR gut magic, and just have the archmage units it accesses need both Arcane Mastery and some other tech from the main tree.

Well, I was wondering about this solution, but... well, ain't the "Ice" element useful ? If so, another fix could be to put a "Cost 0" technology needing one out of three or four of these "elements", and to ask for it or the other elements for "Elemental Mastery". Ok, it would "cost" one turn of research to anyone wanting it, but techs are rarely found in one turn, and extra research would still pile up.

So, it all depends on the interest of all those elements. If all are nice, and interesting to play, I say put this dummy "package" tech, and keep all in. If Ice (or another element) is much redundant, or of small interest, then I back Ahriman's suggestion, let's kick it out :)

That is awesome, congrats! :goodjob:
kzwix would you be interested in possibly joining the mod team? We are actually really in need of someone with a computer science background; it doesn't have to be a huge time commitment or anything, but whatever you could contribute would be greatly appreciated :)

(I also think we can probably kick Ice Mastery out to make things work; its not even implemented yet and would've only been for one civ anyway.)

but... well, ain't the "Ice" element usefu

No. Ice magic was going to be there just for Kislev, but was decided (from Masada who knew the fluff better) that because of the hate/fear that Kislevites had for magic, it made more sense for them to be without it. Instead, they will have Bear priests that can use some beast magic, and disposable mercenary wizards that have a chance of turning barbarian (going driven insane by the chaos winds).
So only the tzarina hero will have any ice spells, so the entire tech can be eliminated.
See: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=292506

Araby gets access to air and fire
Ind gets access to fire and earth
Cathay to earth and water
Nippon to Water and Air.

And each of these factions can research the Mastery tech (for elemental archmages) after having researched one of their two techs.

I would endorse Kzwix for team-membership if he's interested.

Well, I'm not sure whether I'll have time in the future, so I'd rather not "join" as a phantom member.

But if I see something I think I can help with, and have some time available, I'll be glad to help.

[edit]
After reading Ahriman's post, I agree with the last two opinions : let's remove Ice Magic tech entirely.

And, as much as I don't wanna give any false hope, I'd be glad to have access to the team forum, after all, it wouldn't hurt, and maybe something would motivate me. You can see this as a partial membership :)

ok, great - most of us just work on it occasionally whenever we have the time, it would be a big plus to have your input whenever you can. welcome aboard, I think if you send a private message to PL he can add you to the team forum :)

I sent the PM.

Oh, by the way, I noticed that, in the "barbarian warlord uprising" events, where you can choose either to fight or negociate, negociating requires the "Chronicles" tech.

Or, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that "Chronicles" and "Festivals" had been removed by the last patch (having snooped my nose through both XML files this morning helped me see this...)

Thus, well... it would seem that, now, you cannot ever negociate. Not that I mind, but maybe there are weak-minded pacifists out there who would like to... :p

[EDIT] My bad, seems that Chronicles are still there. I must have mistaken them for another tech...

I suspect that many event triggers will need to be re-examined once the tech tree changes are made.

After reading Ahriman's post, I agree with the last two opinions : let's remove Ice Magic tech entirely.

Ok :D this is brilliant, ill test it today when im back from work :D:D:D

also sorry i havent been on for the last couple of days, ive been pretty busy :(

kzwix would you be interested in possibly joining the mod team? We are actually really in need of someone with a computer science background; it doesn't have to be a huge time commitment or anything, but whatever you could contribute would be greatly appreciated

i think we would all appreciate any help you can give us Kzwix :D ill sort out forum access for you now (i need to PM ploep to ask him to add you as a member lol, i wish i could just do it on my own but... :p)

Why remove the ice magic entirely? Don't they have a powerfull icequeen?

We could
-remove just the link to elemental mastery
or
-remove the ice-tech, but keep the spells as inherent abilities of a powerfull (immortal?) hero(ine) unit for Kislev only.

it would be a lot of code for a single unit, but heros are always a lot of work. :)
and much has been designed already anyhow.

Why remove the ice magic entirely? Don't they have a powerfull icequeen?

We're just removing the tech. The Kislev Tsarina Hero will still be able to cast a couple of spells that have ice effects, but the hero will just start with the appropriate promotions for the spells.

as ahriman said the Tzarinas spells will be inherent for her. no promos or techs required. just the unit. (its very easy to do actually) i already have spell designs set up for her, and id like to make them relativly uber due to her one-of-a-kind-ness

Top Bottom