Your Top Ten Tips for Your Favorite Civ

oh i know, and im trying my best to wait patiently... :p

don't suppose theres a tenative eta on the big update?

so i can plan some vacation from work. :D

"Da Warboss is da biggest and da meanest and da greenest. He krumps all dem humies wot getz near der Waaaagh."

Yeah, there's always a point in almost every Civ game you win where you just know it's already happened, and that happens with plenty of civilizations. I just can't think of a single civilization that has that happen as quickly as CoE. Quick speed is probably harder than normal speed, wouldn't it, because the enemy civs will research and build more by the time your Bosses get there? It's like the same thing as the Lucian Cold Iron problem on Epic, except we're dealing with a summoner instead of a hero. I feel the same way on Normal speed, where once I've crushed the first couple civs by turn 100 I know there's no way I'm going to be stopped. That extra room for expansion is so invaluable when combined with the invulnerability to Barbarians, and as long as I don't Enlist too many troops, the combination of low-technology and low-power will always keep my score low enough to stay allied with the Barbs.

Edit: just refreshed the page instead of seeing if another one was made from the number of replies. Glad to hear it, because as it is it really is too hard for me to resist using Bosses if I random CoE.

Next up is Scions of Patria playing for a conquest or gone to hell victory.

Leader

Spoiler :
Xivan T`nava - Specifically for his charlatan ability. Charismatic is nice for getting high level units faster too

Rife Changes

Spoiler :
Scions get +1 production from desert now, which should help out your starting location a bit, but you`ll still want water mana to change all of that to plains eventually (so you don`t get burning sands). They can still build reborn, I think, but it won`t matter with what we`re going to do here.

Strategy

Spoiler :
What we are aiming to do is create a world filled with disease, the 4 horsemen and lots of hell terrain, all being fueled by Eidolons with Swords of Klarkash. So your first techs should be to research masonry and build a worker (to get those patrian artifacts) then towards mysticism and switch to god king (also gives you their unique unit). After this get some basic economy techs, and pump out a great sage (you might want to hold on to it) research towards way of the earthmother (you don't need to found it) and arete for mine's of galdur

Next you'll want to research towards corruption of spirit to found ashen veil. If you are beat to it, you`ll probably have to capture it later on.. might be worth a reload at this point though.Once you get your Stigmata built, you are ready to set about conquering and probably start the production of a great engineer. Diseased corpses make for good basic attack units early on. Next you'll want to research priesthood then Infernal Pact. Start researching towards Fanaticism while you`re building the infernal grimoire (and stop it partway if you would otherwise build it first). Make sure you are razing any city you find and setting the reborn back to your capital (or other cities). The faster you can get to 30 armegeddon counter, the better.

If you`ve managed to survive long enough to build Eidolons you probably also have your great engineer. Save him to build a master smith in one of your cities. Next, build out 4 Eidolons from whatever city you have your Stigmata in, then you can trigger your charlatan ability, this will give your eidolons the ability to use weapon bonuses (so iron weapons in this case). Your next line of research should be necromany then elementalism and arcane lore. After you get arcane lore you can send your units back to the city to equip swords of klarkesh. You`ll want 1 water mana and as much entropy mana as you can find. The water mana is to change all your land to plains so it doesn`t become useless burning sands. The entropy is to beef up your Eidolon`s. Which should already be 18 str (+1 from entropy, +2 from iron weapons) + x% of half of whatever the armegeddon counter is at. Have fun razing and stomping the land with your uber eidolons that will just keep getting stronger.

Another alternative research path would be to iron working instead of arete (not too bad a choice considering the unit line you get with the scions) then engineering, and pick up mithril working with the grimoire, and research to the eidolons the old fashioned way. Will take a little longer but you`ll get starting 20 strength Eidolons instead of 18. There are two seperate notes here.. the first is not to build the Eidolons directly. Either build a spiritualist (recommened) and upgrade, or build a diseased corpse, buy it the plate upgrade, then upgrade it (only do this if you`ve gotten mithril working first though, or you`ll just lose it). Note this can also make your eidolon`s strong but I don`t think it`s worth the penalty of being affected by undead type spells.

Anyone got some tips for Sheaim, and dragging the world to hell? - It seems a bit straight forward, but still, I'd like a few pointers :)

Rofl.. I'll post something.. eventually.. it was actually pretty darned tough since the plague kicked the crap out of me worse than the computer when it came around.

Does anyone know which resources turn into snake pillars? I don't use Ashen Veil much and always forget to check ahead of time. It seems one thing you're going to want to do is avoid improvements that find those resources.

Honestly, the Khadi have nothing unique going for them. They are the bastard offspring of the Amurites and the Sheaim, and impinge on both civilizations. :lol:

They are the only civ currently planned for complete removal. All that will remain is an Amurite specific event.

Hey now, I just around to trying the Khad, and I'm a fan. I like the spawning gate mechanic, and I think getting all the non-demon spawn is a unique enough effect to support its own civ. The gnosling/thade/psion line is also interesting.

The cheap (3rd level mages) are also very nice. There are some more things that could be done to support the civ, like making Khad a bigger badass, along the lines of Mother, or making him available at Arcane Lore, and making the big choice more meaningful, but there's enough to work with here that I don't see the reason to cut them.

Maybe give them the ability to create mana nodes, since they're the Oghma civ.

Well, I think that it isn't only due to their "nothing unique"-ness. The Austrin are kinda bland as well, as are some other civs. But those, they're liked by many people. I'm not sure the Khadi are. To be honest, I like the idea of a middle-eastern civ quite different from the Malakim (which strikes me as really Egyptian flavored) but probably not centered around one unknown guy like the Khadi are.

Hey now, I just around to trying the Khad, and I'm a fan. I like the spawning gate mechanic, and I think getting all the non-demon spawn is a unique enough effect to support its own civ. The gnosling/thade/psion line is also interesting.

The cheap (3rd level mages) are also very nice. There are some more things that could be done to support the civ, like making Khad a bigger badass, along the lines of Mother, or making him available at Arcane Lore, and making the big choice more meaningful, but there's enough to work with here that I don't see the reason to cut them.

Maybe give them the ability to create mana nodes, since they're the Oghma civ.

The spawn mechanic IS strong enough to support it's own civ. Which it already does. The Sheaim. :p

The Kahdi are already gone. They will remain as a unique event for the Amurites, and that's it.

There IS a civ in development that may replace them, but it is a modmod so we'll see how they are developed. ;)

Just wanted to say that, after playing a few games with them the Kahdi turned out to be one of my favorite civs, their mechanics may be nothing new but it's not like they're a Sheaim clone either, after all they have their unique mages and an emphasis on Mana nodes that's even heavier than the Amurites'.

Anyway, I doubt there's much point in arguing at this point of time, just wanted to leave the message that there is someone who's going to miss them.

(And perhaps we'll get lucky and someone has enough skill and time to spare to make a Kahdi add-on/modmod.:))

Personally I think more is better (so long as the "more" is working properly, and so long as it doesn't bog down the game's loading time). So I'd prefer changes and additions as opposed to a removal, but I never really use the Kahd, so I wouldn't care all that much or anything.

So does this mean that they won't really be removed, butt rather their appearance will be tied to an event (kind of like the Infernals and the Mercurians, just somewhat more random)?

Since I'd actually appreciate that, I've been wondering for a while where all those highly specialized civilizations come from if the Thaw is supposed to have only just ended. ;)

So does this mean that they won't really be removed, butt rather their appearance will be tied to an event (kind of like the Infernals and the Mercurians, just somewhat more random)?

Since I'd actually appreciate that, I've been wondering for a while where all those highly specialized civilizations come from if the Thaw is supposed to have only just ended. ;)

Not quite. More along the line of Koun. Not an actual civ, no ability to play as them.

Summary of event options:
  • Kahd breaks away violently, several of his gate summons spawn, strong gate is placed in the city, he is at war with you.
  • Kahd breaks away peacefully. Fewer summons placed, strong gate, he is your ally.
  • Grant Kahd governorship of the city; special gate is spawned, reducing city yields drastically (meant to show that it's doing it's own thing, for the most part). Stays under your control.
  • Make Kahd a Field Marshal. Only added when that modcomp is finished.

Top Bottom