How Powerful is the Emergent Trait?

How powerful is the emergent Trait?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ingenuity, magic resistant, is there some other trait that lets you keep emergent trait?

Unless you've added one, that's it. Magic Resistant is from the second level of the Altar, Ingenuity is a Golden Age.

It's how it's supposed to work, this is why I don't understand why so many people voted that it's powerful.

The 5-trait combos were a bug, thus my previous post is still correct. Adaptive rules.

Honestly, I LOVE the Emergent mechanic. A big part of which isn't the trait gains, really, but the traits the leaders START with. Having just one trait a big chunk of the game lets you make that trait strong.

Having just one trait a big chunk of the game leaves you no choice but to use it as much as possible :).

Yes, but if that trait is fun, and plays to the advantages of the civ, I like it. :p

One of my favorites (in RifE) is Athel Revus, for the Slaver trait. All your units can take slaves, you get slaves when you take a city, and you can build the Slave Market which allows you to sell slaves... Which is GREAT for the Khazad, as it means your wars will pay for your production and happiness bonuses. :p

Another one is the second Khazad emergent leader... Extra production on tiles with 2 :hammers:. Not as 'interesting', but just as powerful, and again, plays to the civ's strengths.

Fun is good, but when your choices are two good traits vs. one decent trait, the fun choice involves quite a sacrifice.

Consider the Calabim: Flauros has Financial (generally acknowledged as the best trait), and Organized (half-price Governor's Mansions). Alexis has Aggressive (very strong now with all the barbarian fights in the early game) and Philosophical. Kro'Mear has Greedy, which is good in the early game, but weaker than Financial as soon as the city gets more than two commerce tiles going (the bounty hunter promotion is a cool gimmick, but won't make much long-term difference). Elijah has a 10% chance to convert defeated units: I'd rather have aggressive, and a better chance to win the battle.

So, both Flauros and Alexis have a better main trait than the emergent leaders, with a useful secondary trait that is available from the start of the game.

Elijah is probably too weak (compared to the other Calabim leaders). Gave him charismatic (nice synergy as many calabim abilities depend on level) instead of emergent.
I think Kro'mear is fine. Sure greedy is weaker than both traits from Alexis combined, but once Kor'mear gets a trait from emergent, she is better off than Alexis.

So I had two golden ages, no ingenuity trait... I went into world builder, and gave myself a whole bunch of GPs, and cast 4 golden ages in a row, no ingenuity trait. Is it perhaps supposed to come at the beginning of the turn, or... how exactly is getting ingenuity supposed to work. I am putting off pillaging for now, because I want ingenuity first, but it is starting to be a hassle... and I would hate to find out its broken, since GP farming is risky.

Ingenuity from starting a golden age is not working. I just went into world builder and started 5 golden ages at once, in a new game, and it did not happen. The chances of that are like 1/32. I have tried it another time with 4 GA's at once, and it did not happen. It also did nto happen in real game when I built the Bone palace. This was with the sidar. I then tried it with the Doviello and got nothing again.

works perfect for me (even got it from the first GP). You need Emergent Trait and if you have Magic resistant trait (check flag) it won't be triggered.

Thanks for the feedback. I changed the following to make the trait a little bit more useful.

• removed culture penalty
  • Units created by an emergent Leader have a small chance to become inspired. Inspired units gain experience in battle faster.

works perfect for me (even got it from the first GP). You need Emergent Trait and if you have Magic resistant trait (check flag) it won't be triggered.
Would be useful to have this info more clearly displayed... spent ages trying to figure out why I couldn't trigger Ingenuity.

Would be useful to have this info more clearly displayed... spent ages trying to figure out why I couldn't trigger Ingenuity.
You cant have both like in rife. I have that "gatta catch them all" syndrome so I figured this one out pretty quickly. :crazyeye:

there should be some traits that you can only get as an emergent leader.
That would be quite neat. I'd be in favour of that, for one. :)

I'm also getting the feeling that a standard 2 trait choices for Emergent might be better. Perhaps the second trait choice could be delayed by 50 or so turns after you pick the first. Talking strictly in terms of balance, one near-useless trait in return for a choice of useful trait later isn't particularly good. You're better off to just start with the traits you want. If the Emergent trait eventually lets you get an extra trait compared to "normal" civs though, it'd make for a more interesting strategic choice.

Top Bottom