Memory Allocation Failures

Tesb,
Thanks, I believe he would offer the assistance if I asked.

However, given the same error has occured since version WM7, on three machines, with many uninstall and reinstall with fresh OS's, and it is preceded by a tremendous slowdown one or two turns prior, I think memory fragmentation is the culprit. Also, after performing the bios fix, the lockup went from happening around 800K filesize to about 1.2MB filesize so I believe it is a system resources issue.

Also FYI, never happened, not once, on FFH, Orbis or FF.

Is there no interest in reducing the graphics load as an option? Or is it too difficult to implement or maintain?

I currently use a new Laptop w/ an ATI 4200 w/256M and shared up to whatever; 4GB ram and the 3G bios switch set; Virtual mem set at 6GB. Anyone get these issues with 512M + video cards?

Last thought, directed at Sephi - any possibility the mulitple XML code files are contributing to the fragmentation?

In the meantime, gearing up for 9.0. Could someone post a list of all recommended settings in civi.ini that might help with this issue?

WoC errors (waiting on civilization) are usually AI bugs, where the AI cant calculate what to do.

post a save.

OK, dumb question, but kind of related. MAF's kill me, but I really want to give this mod a try because it runs quicker and smoother than any other mod for me (time between turns is almost never more than a few seconds, even with a huge map.) I figured if I edited the game to autosave every turn, I could live with the MAFs. However, every time I edit the civiv.ini file section of
"Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 4"

to 1 it reverts back to 4 as soon I start playing. Anyone know how to solve this?

if you have windows 7 make sure to start run you ini editing program as an administrator. you should also check if the file is protected from override (right click properties) -> deselect that box -> change file -> select box.

MAF are for most people less common the smaller the map.

This mod looks great and is a lot of fun to play, but these MAF CTD's are making it unplayable for me around turn 200-250 on a standard size map. I've already reduced my graphics settings to medium and turned off unit animations, but still they happen every few turns.

Anything else I can do to "fix" this?

This mod looks great and is a lot of fun to play, but these MAF CTD's are making it unplayable for me around turn 200-250 on a standard size map. I've already reduced my graphics settings to medium and turned off unit animations, but still they happen every few turns.

Anything else I can do to "fix" this?

Have you seen the link from the Download Thread?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=7726003&postcount=22

I was able to eliminate nearly all MAFs, I have a three year old computer, running on high settings again now, and test on HUGE erebusmap script

Thanks.

But I've already seen that post. If I read that post correctly, it applies to Windows XP. Unfortunately that won't help me, as I have a 2.80 GHz Vista machine with 3 GB of RAM...

afaik 32bit games (which nearly all games are) can't exceed 2 GB of ram. it does not matter if you have a 64bit system with more ram, the game will still crash. there is however a command/update for winxp and onwards that allow 32bit programs to use up to 3 GB of ram.
as far as i know maf are not because the program is exceeding the ram limit but because of memory fragmentation. i never had any maf problems on my machinge neither with winxp and 2 GB ram nor with win7 64bit and 2 GB ram nor with win 7 and 64bit and 4GB ram. i also test my ram when i buy new one (i let it work for 5 days nonstop and monitor it with a program that tests the ram) because the % of faulty ram sold is not zero.

edit: just read read that mafs are usually because of the memory manager. i can't really comment on it though.

If you have 3 Gb you should try the workaround to allow Civ to use all the memory you have.

Hello.

My quick take on MAFs.
(I have a 2 Go system running XP Pro).

I get a lot of MAFS, not only in WM but also in other civ IV mods, especially Legends of Revolution, that I have been playing quite a lot.

They typically happen after a long playing time, when I try to reload a game without previously quitting.

I also noticed that occasionnally quitting and reloading greatly improves mid and late game performance... for some time.

So, it seems that there really is something wrong with the way the Civ4 engine (not the mods) manages memory.

I'm having similar problems to what morchuflex is saying. When ever I enter the mid to late game of FFH, Legends of Revolution, and even the early to mid game for wildmana, the game gives me an MAF.
I'm currently running on windows vista.

I'm having similar problems to what morchuflex is saying. When ever I enter the mid to late game of FFH, Legends of Revolution, and even the early to mid game for wildmana, the game gives me an MAF.
I'm currently running on windows vista.

it seems that windows has a history of MAFs from the post that I have seen within the two mods FFH-WM and TAM that I am a part of. check the Wildmana Download thread, first post, I think there is a comment or link there.

This helped me for win 7 http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=8816944
1.-Right-click Command Prompt in the Accessories program group of the Start menu. Click Run as Administrator.

2.-At the command prompt, enter "BCDEDIT.EXE /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072" without the "". You MUST write BCDEDIT.EXE; you NEED the .EXE, that's the key.

3.-Restart the computer.

While waiting for WM 9.0 I've recently necroed a thread where I found solution for my MAFs.
Here it is: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=225205&page=1

I used to experience MAF when savegame file size was around 0.8 MB. None of my savegames reached more than 0.8 MB. After applying /3GB switch i can play large maps and savegame size goes to 1.5 MB without any MAF at all! So for those of you who run WinXP/32 and have enough RAM (4GB in my case) should definitelly try this /3GB switch.

So, just follow the instructions in the necroed thread. You don't need to do "step 1.", just edit your boot.ini. (Quoted part in thread by simkodavid). After reboot choose "...3GB" boot menu option. After that, you should get no MAFs. BTW, this old thread says that this 3GB switch is not an option for XP home edition, but I've got XP home edition and it works perfectly. I hope this will help somebody.

Hi, thank's! Any instructions for Vista users?

Top Bottom