Wildmana 9.0 beta

Access to the beta requires permission to see the appropriate thread. If you have access, then you asked for and received permission.

So is beta access closed? Posted in the thread on that forum like a week ago :(

The beta is not closed, but is coming to a conclusion soon. this quote from sephi on the new forum.

"the beta will end very soon so I removed any need for special permissions. You should be able now to see the beta forum. beta update4 is the current beta."

any news here ?
will 0.9 go out?
or can the beta be released as a "make-do" while waiting for 0.9 ?

honestly, after playing both versions and giving RiFE another chance, I strongly prefer the current version of WM.. The AI in the current version is so good, I mean, it actually builds cottage farms, keeps pace scorewise, and even builds markets!!! (which I used to actually worldbuilder into AI cities to try and help them out :D ) The AI in the beta isn't quite up to snuff (at least as of beta 6, which was the last I tried)

Anyways, hoping to see it grow. Seems sad to finally teach the AI how to build improvements just to throw it all out, though :)

the ai in the beta has some flaws, but this is to be expected since there are a host of new features that the ai needs to be thought. sephi just needs more time for this. it also not really a good way to code the ai while many feature are still in flux, that is why it is a beta :p

tesb is totally right. It's normal that in a beta the AI has still to adopt to a lot of stuff that is still in development. While I test the beta I play from time to time a little game of old wm and I have to confess that I already miss stuff of the beta when playing wm 8.0... so I think this clearly speaks for the beta and it's content:):king::goodjob:

Greez,

Tschuggi

P.S.: Has the crazy devil's faction and their portals been removed? In the current beta I don't meet them, their event does not pop up.

before I forget it: I play a wm 8.34(8.0??) game atm and what I really like is how AI is guiding barbarians through my territory. The barbs don't massacre themselves suicidally at my walls but just attack when there is a realistic chance that they will succeed. That's really cool and imo has to be applied to wm9.0.

the ai in the beta has some flaws, but this is to be expected since there are a host of new features that the ai needs to be thought. sephi just needs more time for this. it also not really a good way to code the ai while many feature are still in flux, that is why it is a beta :p

I understand what beta means, I just disagree with the whole direction of adding a bunch of (imo) superfluous features - re: the new improvement system - that ruin all the brilliant AI work, so he basically has to start from scratch with it again. But ofc it's Sephi's mod, just giving my feedback :p

At least I have the current release version to play with I guess :)

@Tshuggi above: I know, right?? The barbarians were SUCH a pain in the ass in my last game. The only issue I have with that is that it does hurt the AI civs quite a bit - and if that mod version were still being developed, I'd say lair spawn rates seriously need to be turned down, or at least have an option for that for those people who prefer to fight the AI civs occasionally, rather than the barbs :) The game i'm playing isn't even on Raging Barbs and yet I can worldbuilder clear an 8x8 area and literally 2 turns later there are be 5-6 more lizardman ruins/gobbo forts/hill giant things again and a horde or random barb units - some of which far outclass current tech units. All of which I can deal with perfectly fine, but since the AI doesnt destroy lairs, having them everywhere hurts it a lot.

wel, I was asking .... in order to DL the beta, as currently I don't have access to it.

Will 9.0 be much more difficult? I love Wildmana but find that with any civ, I can slowly promote one or two heroes or units to level 15 fighting barbarians etc. meanwhile the ais never attack me, or, if they do, not in any truly dangerous way, and then I can destroy any civ with those two units and some catapults or mages. This is on Deity level. In normal Civ4, the ais become very dangerous if you lag behind them in tech and their cities become impregnable.
In FFH, even if you start way behind, all you need is a hero or two and a stack of siege and you win. So games become repetitive, no?

Will 9.0 be much more difficult? I love Wildmana but find that with any civ, I can slowly promote one or two heroes or units to level 15 fighting barbarians etc. meanwhile the ais never attack me, or, if they do, not in any truly dangerous way, and then I can destroy any civ with those two units and some catapults or mages. This is on Deity level. In normal Civ4, the ais become very dangerous if you lag behind them in tech and their cities become impregnable.
In FFH, even if you start way behind, all you need is a hero or two and a stack of siege and you win. So games become repetitive, no?

On deity? Slowly promote? You mean perhaps reloading?
How do you get past the mega dragons?
Also, I thought you stopped earning XP at 100XP vs barbs.
It's been a while since I played, but I think you are giving yourself an advantage or two or three.

man up and post a recent save game
or
turn on raging barbs and wildlands.

the AIs are a lot more aggressive, especially early on. In the long run the new magic system should make the AIs a lot more challenging, but it may take some more time.

I certainly admit I reload, esp if I lose my hero or something that I have put all my focus into for hours. It just isn't much fun to get a hero to level 12 and then not get to use him/her because you lose a combat that was 88% likely to be won. I never attack with my best units when the odds are not very good. I never, for example, attack with a 30% chance, and reload until I win. I don't even play with a different randseed on reload. But still, in plain Civ4, even if you reload, that isn't enough. You have to have a serious strategy to win on Deity level. By 1500AD on plain civ4 on Deity, I am always in last place. In Wildmana, by a similar date, always first.

mega dragons?
I've never seen any dragons with strength bigger than ten, other than eurabatres and acheron.
am I missing something? The AI never attacks me with a stack dangerous enough to crush any city with a few drill 5 strong units in it and 8 smaller units. I also find that I get tired before the AC ever gets too high, because I have already crushed the strongest rival and they give me all their tech. What danger does a rival civ pose? They never build tower of mastery or cultural victory or try to dominate... do i have some feature turned off? I'd love it if they tried to win like in plain civ with building a spaceship or something.

afaik in wildmana 8.x the ai can go for a tower of mastery and altar wins, they can even do so with having only 5 mana nodes (they know how to dispel).

may i ask what civilization do you play and on what map? i hope it is not scion on erebus because those guys are pretty strong and erebus really stupefies the ai.

i've been playing as different civs on different maps. I like Wheel a lot. I also like to start at Classical or Medieval (could that be it?) to avoid the same-old rush for religions. I'm sure the AI can build tower and altar, but they never do faster than I do... I find I can often build the altar (with a philosophical leader) before the AC gets to 50.

I certainly admit I reload, esp if I lose my hero or something that I have put all my focus into for hours. It just isn't much fun to get a hero to level 12 and then not get to use him/her because you lose a combat that was 88% likely to be won.

1. The AI doesn't get that chance
2. Any non-reloader will tell you the more powerful your hero gets, the more deadly 88% becomes. I definitely hold my breathe if a hero of mine attacks at 90% chance.
3. In one breathe you are saying it is too easy because you just need to get a level 15 hero and wipe out the map, the next breath you are saying you want it to be to easy, and it isn't fun if you lose a hero.

mega dragons?

A dragon wandering around with 5 stars and drill IV, blowing icy breathe will ruin a stack pretty quickly.

Top Bottom