Economy in MoM

unless sephi changed it in the last beta round you will never pay any gold for improvements as long as you build only as much as your cities can support.

I'm often paying a little gold. Maybe civics can put you in the red?
I'm very glad I can put in that many resources: Being kept strictly in the black would be too intrusive. As things are I haven't minded the hardcap.

Playing as Scions: Took a size 10 (maybe 13?) city without running God King - population drops to 2. I was doing other things with a big influence on my economy so it simply took me awhile to think about checking the new city's improvement maintenance cost: -18 gold/turn!

And the nearest pillaging unit was 5 turns away. :(

IIRC getting rid of just one improvement lowered the rate dramatically. Hmm... but I think I changed civics, too.

Not a complaint, btw. It would have been easy enough to anticipate. And it made me want to put some Workers with a Mistform and have them build Cottages in enemy territory. Suck on some subsidized housing, treehuggers!

Too bad Workers can't do that. Union regulations, I suppose.

Probably, you have one of the Growth control boxes checked? There are three -- the native Civ4 one on the city governor panel; and two up near the top center: one next to the health/unhealth faces and one next to the happy/unhappy. Sounds like you probably have the happy/unhappy one checked by mistake.

That was exactly it, the happy/unhappy box at the top center of the city screen. Thanks!

I never knew those boxes at the top of the city screen even existed, since I'd never encountered this problem before, and I've been playing Civ 4 since it first came out.

Anyway, thanks again.

Yeah, the unhappy & unhealthy avoid growth boxes are in a lot of mods, but usually toggled off by default. I think in MoM they might be on by default.

@Tarquelne:

Someone else pointed out in a comment on this thread that certain Civics reduce the infrastructure cost of certain improvements. You can see that in the mouseover. For example, Aristocracy reduces the infrastructure cost of Farms, Mercantilism reduces the infrastructure cost of Cottages (I think), etc. So if you were using one of those Civics and then switched out, your infrastructure cost for the improvements would go back up to normal.

Also, just to be clear, I don't object in principle to a hard cap on the total number of improvements a city can build, I was just asking for a 'pedia explanation of how that works.

You know, that would have been a wonderous thing to know when I ws playing Calabim :S

Playing as Scions: Took a size 10 (maybe 13?) city without running God King - population drops to 2. I was doing other things with a big influence on my economy so it simply took me awhile to think about checking the new city's improvement maintenance cost: -18 gold/turn!

And the nearest pillaging unit was 5 turns away. :(

I get that a lot, although it is usually a lot more egregious. Something like -50 gold per turn once the unrest has cleared out and the city becomes productive again. I don't know how much of that is simply the "free support" for improvements being based on city culture/size (two things hit hard whenever a city gets captured) or whether the AI gets some kind of bonus in dealing with improvements because micromanaging yields may be a little too complex for it (meaning it spams improvements to a level that a player would get penalized extremely). Their choice of improvements also leave something to be desired, like a camp built over cows.

I usually clear out the "useless" improvements after I capture the city to keep the upkeep costs at a reasonable level. I usually have to bring in workers to properly improve the area anyway.

Really, I've just taken to razing cities instead of holding them. Even holy shrines or wonders get a real close look before I decide to keep them, because my preferred city locations tend to be quite different than where the AI chooses.

Top Bottom